Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gokunama

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 13, 2008
The Japanese version has been released here in Japan... has anyone downloaded it and tried it out? Does the Japanese version have English support like Simcity does, or is it entirely in Japanese like Tetris Japanese version?

MVApple

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
Yup the US version is out. I caught an obvious grammar error on one of the screens so I think they rushed the US version out, not a big deal though. They tell the story through screen shots of MGS4 and text but it's not at all exciting to experience the story this way. I think I'll just skip the simple story bits since they just give you a small paragraph which says something simple like, "So Snake was called out into action."

I have to say that I'm pleasantly surprised by the gameplay though. The game itself is highly polished. Everything looks and sounds good. The gameplay is simple in nature, aim and shoot, but the polish behind it makes it very enjoyable. I really hope games like this do well so developers have more incentive to pursue a high quality game on the ipod touch/iphone.

MVApple

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
I'm not getting by the screens, it looks like it's a 2d point and shoot type of game lol

It is. Don't expect it to be a typical metal gear type game on the ipod touch. Actually, I wouldn't mind seeing a metal gear acid type game for the ipod touch. They've had two for the PSP and they've been very fun. They should re-make MGS1 complete with the cinematic movies from the PS1 version but with acid type gameplay. For those that don't know, acid was played with cards as a strategy game. So you make a deck of cards and you pick a card to shoot, a card to move etc. You have all the gameplay elements of metal gear like stealth and hiding, but the game revolves around building the right deck and strategy. That type of gameplay doesn't need a d-pad or accurate movement.

The problem with the ipod touch/iphone is that the controls aren't there to do a stealth action game. As you pointed out, it is a point and shoot type of game but it's actually more fun that it may seem at first.

Speedracer04

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2006
Michigan
Ya ive got it...overall: not impressed

Nice graphics...but its still a "stationary guys on the screen...tap to shoot them"

Ill give them an "A" for effort, trying to incorporate a storyline but all the missions are exactly the same. Move the crosshairs and tap to shoot...lame.

When are we actually going to get an actual worthwile GAME? Is the iPhone not able to handle PSP level of games?

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
It's all about the limited input options available. I believe the hardware is capable of more complex games, but there simply aren't enough options on the input side to pull them off successfully. Now that the 3.0 will permit support of peripherals, expect to see someone develop some sort of dock you slide the iPhone into which will have a proper pad and buttons to expand what type of games are possible on the iPhone.

All that being said, I'll likely pick up MG tonight or at least by the weekend.

MVApple

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
It's all about the limited input options available. I believe the hardware is capable of more complex games, but there simply aren't enough options on the input side to pull them off successfully. Now that the 3.0 will permit support of peripherals, expect to see someone develop some sort of dock you slide the iPhone into which will have a proper pad and buttons to expand what type of games are possible on the iPhone.

All that being said, I'll likely pick up MG tonight or at least by the weekend.

Of course the problem with peripherals is that not everyone will own one and I bet developers won't want to limit their sales to people who only own a specific peripheral.

WickedFall

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2008
Yup the US version is out. I caught an obvious grammar error on one of the screens so I think they rushed the US version out, not a big deal though. They tell the story through screen shots of MGS4 and text but it's not at all exciting to experience the story this way. I think I'll just skip the simple story bits since they just give you a small paragraph which says something simple like, "So Snake was called out into action."

I have to say that I'm pleasantly surprised by the gameplay though. The game itself is highly polished. Everything looks and sounds good. The gameplay is simple in nature, aim and shoot, but the polish behind it makes it very enjoyable. I really hope games like this do well so developers have more incentive to pursue a high quality game on the ipod touch/iphone.

I'd have to agree. It's really well polished, but I found the text parts boring and I just turned to skipping them. The game is high quality but short.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.