Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
I'm currently considering these monitors:

Mackie MR5 ($360/pr)
Fostex PM0.5MKII ($300/pr)
M-Audio BX5a deluxe ($300/pr)
Yamaha HS50M ($400/pr)

Any recommendations?

Luap

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2004
The Yamaha's seem quite highly regarded, so could be worth a shot. However, monitors are a very personal thing. Listen to them all, if possible. See what 'you' like and go from there.
Just keep in mind that proper studio monitors are not about sounding good. Its about letting you hear exactly whats going on in your mix. A bad mix should sound bad, not polished to sound better. A good mix should still sound good, and a great mix should still sound great :)

BCains

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2007
Gold Coast, Australia
Budget?

Suggestions:
Dynaudio BM5a - $900pr
KRK VXT6 - $400ea (Maybe check out the KRK RP6G2 Rokit G2 - $200ea)

As recommend the Adam A5 ($400ea) would be worthing checking out if
they're any reflection of the Adam A7, these are amazing quality ($575ea)

You are best to head down to a local Guitar Center and try out these monitors.

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Budget?

Suggestions:
Dynaudio BM5a - $900pr
KRK VXT6 - $400ea (Maybe check out the KRK RP6G2 Rokit G2 - $200ea)

As recommend the Adam A5 ($400ea) would be worthing checking out if
they're any reflection of the Adam A7, these are amazing quality ($575ea)

You are best to head down to a local Guitar Center and try out these monitors.

As you can see from my current choices, I'm looking for a pair of monitors under $500. I don't make a living off these things, I just want some accurate, high-quality monitors for video editing and music listening.

ashjamben

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2007
Shanghai, China
i'm in a similar position to yourself, just looking for some cheap-ish monitors to keep me going until i can afford/need some better ones.

i'd maybe steer clear of the yamaha HS50's, as they are more for music production and may not be great for just listening to your music. you might want to consider 'multimedia' speakers, most online retailers normally have a section for them. they might suit your needs better.

Drumjim85

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2007
DFW, TX
Maybe have a listen to the Blue Sky desktop range, they have a product
around the $350USD, thou they are 2x 3" 2-ways with 8" sub...

Check out some reviews at http://www.soundonsound.com for above monitors.

I had a pr of a lot nicer blue sky monitors in for a week, and i really didn't like them. I don't remember a lot about why other than they had a really really small sweet spot.

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
I had a chance to listen to the Mackie and the Yamaha last night.

The Yamaha have a very unique sound... bright, accurate, but lacking bottom end in a serious way. Combined with the sub they were palitable but I think these would give me a headache for extended listening.

The Mackie's sounded much richer with deeper base. However they were less bright and perhaps less accurate. Out of the two, these would be my preference despite strong discouragement from the sales guy.

Obviously, no 5" driver is capable of providing decent bass response... all of the ones I listened to (including Adam's and others they had in the showroom) were lacking in this dept as you might expect. I've concluded you either need a sub or move up to monitors with 8" drivers to get the full spectrum.

I'm actually leaning towards the Fostex (combined with their matching sub) at this point based on price and other's reviews but I need to track down a place to listen to them first.

Drumjim85

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2007
DFW, TX
ya, most monitors this size are meant to be a second opinion monitor and not you're main set. Did you notice anything different about the highs on the adams?

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
ya, most monitors this size are meant to be a second opinion monitor and not you're main set. Did you notice anything different about the highs on the adams?

Agreed, most serious studio monitors would be the 8" variety. I'm supposing the 5" drivers as secondary monitors are more geared towards providing a clue as to what the mix might sound like on mini consumer systems or even ear-buds.

One thing I've learned (which is perhaps obvious to many but was a bit of a revelation to me) is that accurate studio monitors do not necessarily make for great listening enjoyment... hence the market for audiophile speakers and to some extent, the compromise made by some pro-audio manufacturers to provide what they call a "studio monitor" that actually has some audiophile characteristics (warmth, bass, etc.) with a relatively flat response from end-to-end. I think this is the approach that Mackie and Fostex have taken with their studio monitors... much to the shagrin of some studio recording purists. The Yamaha's may be nirvana to these guys but would give any audiophile a headache.

The Adam's definitely had very nice high's and mid's... much easier to listen to than the Yamaha's in my opinion but also lacked base, which as I said is indicitive of the small driver and to be expected. I would consider them if I my needs were more professional than hobby and I could justify their cost with revenue... but that's not my situation.

clownjuggles

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2009
what about genelec guys?

Well, I find that Genelec and budget can go well in hand but the thing is don't buy the set I got. I own their Genelec 8240A speakers. They retail for 2K but can be found for less if you want to go all out. You will find your budget gone fast though lol :) A lot of people haven't heard the new 8000 series which their entry level is based on. Genelecs are made to be accurate. The Newer Genelecs are far more neutral than the the 1030 generation of the 90s. And for the record there is no such thing as a FLAT speaker. You room will affect the sound that you hear as well. Studio Monitors are made to be as accurate as possible for repeatability of working.

If you are starting out and have a smaller budget I would suggest the Genelec 6010A and 5040A system. The 6010A I have seen for $267 dollars a piece far from breaking the bank. The sub can be found about $629 as well.

Here are a few reviews. E-GEAR: Genelec 6010A Active Desktop
Loudspeaker

Music Tech: Genelec’s 6010A and 5040A systems aim to provide the ‘firststep into the world of professional audio’.

PRO AUDIO REVIEW: Genelec 6010A and 5040A Powered
Loudspeaker And Subwoofer

Call Genelec and speak to Paul Stewart he will be able to answer any questions you have about Genelec. Their number is 508 652 0900

synth3tik

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
To be honest I am not crazy about any of those monitors. I am not going to get all snooty and say you need a $4000 pair of Focal monitors. I know I could not afford that. I will say though for anything close to a flat response stay far away from the m-audio monitors.

I use a pair of Event TR5s, these are great little monitors with a rather acceptable response. These things pack some power too. I think there is only 35-50W to the woofer, but man they can kick out some serious amplitude. The TR5s have been discontinued, but I picked up my pair off ebay for something like $250 for the pair.

I really like Event, beyond that I would only look at Dynaudio, Genelec, and Focal, all three though come with one big ole' price point (although not bad considering the product).

I would like to add that from my experience the HS series is really good to reference what your mix will sound like in the club, but do not make very accurate monitors. If you ever were able to get a secondary set or a Mid-field set, that's when I would start looking into the Yamamhas.

clownjuggles

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2009
the OP's budget doesn't even cover the stands for those! :)

That's like suggesting a Focal Professional speakers. SM11 would be fantastic for anyone but I would suggest them to someone starting out. Best advice. Buy the best you can afford and learn your speakers and treat your room!

Drumjim85

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2007
DFW, TX
I really like Event, beyond that I would only look at Dynaudio, Genelec, and Focal, all three though come with one big ole' price point (although not bad considering the product).

Too bad Event discontinued all their products and put out this one new "revolutionary" speaker.

ashjamben

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2007
Shanghai, China
i'm in the same position as the op, but find the majority of the speakers don't cover the bass frequencies too well. is it worth buying some then upgrading with a sub when i've got the cash? or just blowing it all on some bigger speakers to start with?

also, those genelec 6010a's are a little over my budget, but is it worth going for them?

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
He can't afford genelecs either, or Adams.

imho, the adam a7's are highly affordable. i had them in my room for a while, and they are exceptional for the money. my mixes went faster and translated better almost immediately.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.