Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Spares

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 16, 2009
UPDATE AT END

When power button is pressed the fan turns on for approx. 2 seconds then turns off, doesnt get past a black screen. I'm still under warrenty but i have assignments on it that are due friday... just finished them so i didn't get a chance to back them up.

Edit; Possible RAM Dimm issue, should i try to troubleshoot myself or am i better off going to an authorized apple repair centre (closest Apple store is ~15 hour drive)... Is RAM covered by warrenty? Will the warrenty still cover it if i solve the problem to get my assignments then take it in to get new RAM through warrenty?

...Tons of questions but its panic time for me, couple midterms tomorrow and my notes are on there, assignments due...

shady825

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2008
Area 51
32 Thread views and no one can help huh?? Ridiculous!

Well since no one else has cared to help you I will see what I can do.
First question is, Have you changed your RAM? (already upgraded it yourself?)
If so, try removing that RAM and replace it with the original for the time being to see if it changes anything.

Second question, Have you tried this? http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1365
I just posted that in another thread where someone was having a similar issue.

Spares

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 16, 2009
no the ram has never been touched, before today the battery hasn't even left its place. and yes i found that support website, none of those options worked. Thanks for the help though!

Spares

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 16, 2009
**Update for Future Referance**

problem solved by apple certified tech., was told it was some for of extended sleep mode due to possible power surge or somthing of the like,

FIX: Leave alone unplugged for a day or so and turn on

CarlisleUnited

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2007
Nederland
Just in case this happens again, what saved my arse when my old laptop broke just before deadlines was a sata=>USB adapter only cost me about 10 pounds and allowed me to get my data of pretty quickly and smoothly.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC

problem solved by apple certified tech., was told it was some for of extended sleep mode due to possible power surge or somthing of the like,

Good to hear it was resolved.

32 Thread views and no one can help huh?? Ridiculous!

Yeah a lot of people don't know the answer, so why pull something out of their arse; anyways half the views are probably from bots.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis

I have my doubts on that answer. It sounds a little too farfetched for me.

Maybe you needed the SMC to be reset?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.