Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ElectroGhandi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 9, 2009
Baltimore, MD
I just bought another iBook G3 from a friend, but it's running Jaguar 10.2. I have a PowerBook running Tiger 10.4 and would like to use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone my PowerBook's hard drive to the iBook's. I already have a procedure in mind but would like some confirmation:

1) Hook the iBook to the PowerBook through Firewire 400 and boot the iBook into Target Disk Mode so the PowerBook is booted and the iBook is a hard drive.

2) Open Carbon Copy Cloner and clone the PowerBook's Macintosh HD to the iBook's internal hard drive.

Now, this would work fine and essentially upgrade the iBook to Tiger and copy all my files too? Or would this wreck everything? Haha

skorpien

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
More than likely it won't work. It would work if it was the same model of computer since the hardware would be the same, but as this isn't the case I highly doubt it would even boot after you clone the drive. It's like trying to install the OS using one model's install discs on a completely different model. Many have tried, none have succeeded. It just won't work. You need to pick up a retail copy of the OS you want to upgrade to.

ElectroGhandi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 9, 2009
Baltimore, MD
More than likely it won't work. It would work if it was the same model of computer since the hardware would be the same, but as this isn't the case I highly doubt it would even boot after you clone the drive. It's like trying to install the OS using one model's install discs on a completely different model. Many have tried, none have succeeded. It just won't work. You need to pick up a retail copy of the OS you want to upgrade to.

Okies, thanks for letting me know before I did it and wrecked the computer! Haha. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.