PDA

View Full Version : Buying a used Macbook

iMule
Mar 18, 2009, 09:44 PM
Who here has bought a used Macbook? Right now, my budget is pretty tight and I saw two Macbooks on craigslist (specifically Macbooks not MBP's) for around $700. One had 1GB of memory and the other was apparently almost brand new (I suppose it was an elderly lady who had no idea about specifications) from 2008. Not to mention the latter offer is in my town.

Okay, to skip to the point. I have a Dell Inspiron 1521 (150GB HDD/AMD Athlon 64/2GB RAM/ 1.7 GHz clock speed) that I bought in August of '07. It was a steal when I bought it and it was my first laptop, so the whole portability aspect played a big role in my purchase. And not to mention, I had no problem with Windows prior to Vista. So later on that year, being dissatisfied with Vista, I stumbled upon the OSX86 project (I'm sorry if it is against the rules to post this) and eventually was immersed into the world of OSX. Illegal, I know, but if there's one thing positive that came out of it, it would have to be my newly acquired love for OSX. It was more of an experiment (let me tell you, it's not worth it with all of the hardware compatibility requirements especially on a notebook). As of now I have two partitions with Vista and Windows 7 (thought I was going to say Leopard right?!?! :D) a:). Anyhow, I am very interested in buying a Macbook.

So my question to all of you is would it be worth it to buy a Macbook with less or slower hardware specs than the machine I'm on now or would it be worth saving some more money and buying a brand new MB? I'm dying to get my hands on the iPhone SDK too, so I can try my hand at developing some apps...

Scippy
Mar 18, 2009, 09:50 PM
If its a 2008 MacBook, it should have a 2.0 GHz core 2 duo processer, with at least 1 gig of ram. And I think a 160 GB hard drive.
So the only thing of a downgrade would be the ram, which you can upgrade for 30-50$.

I'm pretty sure that this laptop would easily more powerful than your old laptop.

If someone could confirm this.

Tomorrow
Mar 18, 2009, 09:53 PM
If it were me:

Hang onto the $700 you have, save up another $300-400 and buy a nice refurb. In the meantime, continue using your hackintosh setup, and use it as a motivating factor to save the last bit of money you need.

Reasons:

(1) I know people have done it without any problems, but I'm leery of buying anything off of Craigslist, for some reason if it's a computer my first reaction is to suspect it's stolen, even though that's quite possibly not the case.

(2) Maybe it's just me, but I like having new hardware and knowing the warranty is fresh.

(3) If there's a problem with the hardware when you get it new, Applecare will take care of it. Off Craigslist, who knows?

Good luck!

jtibbitt
Mar 18, 2009, 09:55 PM
You might be able to do better than that with $700. Just to give you an example, I'm currently selling my Macbook on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&item=120392127472

It has a better configuration as well as some warranty still left on it. Based on what the other similar Macbooks on Ebay seem to go for, I expect about $600-$700 for it. And about $200-$300 more will buy a brand new macbook white.

iMule
Mar 18, 2009, 10:02 PM
About the hackintosh setup, I no longer have it. It's quite a pain when dual/triple booting. The only problem I had with 10.5 was QE/CI and Ethernet (wireless worked) and also my SATA DVD drive wasn't supported, so if anything went wrong I had to borrow my roommate's external usb dvd drive. I have to admit it was a remedy at times, but I'm anxious for the real thing. I'll take your advice on craigslist.

iMule
Mar 18, 2009, 10:05 PM
You might be able to do better than that with $700. Just to give you an example, I'm currently selling my Macbook on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&item=120392127472

It has a better configuration as well as some warranty still left on it. Based on what the other similar Macbooks on Ebay seem to go for, I expect about $600-$700 for it. And about $200-$300 more will buy a brand new macbook white.

Nice, however, can Leopard be installed on that model?

raremage
Mar 18, 2009, 10:09 PM
Nice, however, can Leopard be installed on that model?

Sure can. Any reason you think it wouldn't support the latest version? I would expect you can go two (or maybe even three) more upgrades with that MB.

iMule
Mar 18, 2009, 10:12 PM
I was sure it could, but being new to Macs, I wasn't positive. Thanks for the info though.