PDA

View Full Version : Analysis: Apple's iPhone Shows How Upgrades Should Be Done

MacBytes
Mar 19, 2009, 07:57 AM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Reviews
Link: Analysis: Apple's iPhone Shows How Upgrades Should Be Done (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20090319085709)
Description:: none

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

eastercat
Mar 19, 2009, 08:21 AM
It neglects to mention the iTunes advantage. It makes it very easy to propagate updates via an easy to use program. Also, it helps Apple make money from music, movie and application sales. Probably why Microsoft is going to introduce a store. Knowing them, it'll be a pain in the ass to use.

If the article is even 50% accurate with regards to the difficulties in upgrading the software of other phones, then I'm even more glad I have an iPhone. What's the point in getting a phone that is packed with features if it's difficult to use?

My $0.02

IJ Reilly
Mar 19, 2009, 10:27 AM
I'm not sure this is totally true:

Of course, Apple can do this in part because they don't make all their money off phones. Smartphone makers who don't have app stores need to keep selling new phones to generate new license fees. Apple, on the other hand, makes money off apps and off of keeping people in their ecosystem – iPhone owners are more likely to buy Macs and sign up for MobileMe, for instance. So there isn't as much pressure on Apple to sell new hardware every year as there is to keep their installed base large and buying new software.

Apple probably gets something like a $300-400 kickback from AT&T for every iPhone they sell. Add that to the $200 up-front price, and we can see that an iPhone owner has to buy an awful lot of software to come close. Probably very few are.

Otherwise, a very good article. The iPhone's success is about ease of use, not features.

BongoBanger
Mar 19, 2009, 11:23 AM
"Why can't other smartphone vendors do this?"

Because they don't have to. The features are already there.

He's also wrong because he doesn't seem to understand that Nokia allow updates both through NSU and OTA, both of which are extremely easy to do.

Silly article is silly

IJ Reilly
Mar 19, 2009, 11:33 AM
Apparently you haven't read the article. The main point was about keeping users notified about updates.

Almost nobody in the U.S. owns a Nokia Symbian phone, but I've used them. The problem with upgrading Symbian devices is that they require reading tech news blogs (because Nokia doesn't tell your phone when upgrades are available), running a specialized application and plugging your phone into a PC to load the new software. It's no wonder most people don't bother.

You also contradicted yourself, but that's another matter.

BongoBanger
Mar 19, 2009, 02:06 PM
Actually I have read the article which is why I know it's silly. NSU tells you whenever an update is available through Ovi suite, however it also does it through the FOTA checker as a matter of course. I doubt Sascha has used a Symbian phone for some time as that's how it used to work, not now.

Also, perhaps you can tell me the difference between plugging in through Ovi suite and getting your updates through iTunes which, may I remind you, you must do to load the iPhone up at least until it can manage FOTA?

The writer of the article doesn't have a clue about how Nokia works and neither it seem do you.

IJ Reilly
Mar 19, 2009, 02:55 PM
You are certainly fond of telling people that they don't have a clue. I have barely seen you participate in a thread where you didn't say that at least once.

I never claimed to know how Nokia works.

BongoBanger
Mar 19, 2009, 04:52 PM
I never claimed to know how Nokia works.

Quite obviously considering the content of your previous post.

The lesson here is that you shouldn't really imply people don't know what they're talking about when they actually do and you do not.

IJ Reilly
Mar 19, 2009, 05:54 PM
Yes, it's completely obvious that I never said what I never said.

To most of us. Maybe to all of us -- now.

Belly-laughs
Mar 19, 2009, 09:34 PM
What updates do Nokia offer? Will a Nokia device "survive" 3 generations of the OS or are they just offering .X updates? Just wondering.

Either way, I have never experienced a Nokia N-series owner talk about the latest OS or what apps he´s been playing with all night… It clearly doesn´t engage them that much.