Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Richard8655

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
Chicago suburbs
I know speaker choices comes up here over and over again, and this may not be the right forum. But looking for good but cost-effective speakers to go with the new Mac Mini. I think us Mac fans don't want the typical unsightly PC boom boxes attached to our desktop computers with the sole purpose of rattling the windows.

Just as Macs are cool, elegant, and flawless in function, looking for the same in a speaker system. I came across Harman Kardon Soundsticks that seem to fit the bill exactly. They look like a great match for any Apple product, and get rave reviews for crystal clear sound quality.

Any thoughts or experiences with these or other quality cost-effective speakers?

Rangdrol

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2008
Montreal, Quebec
Harman Kardon Top Shelf Wall Shakers

Any thoughts or experiences with these or other quality cost-effective speakers?

Richard, I bought the original Soundsticks 5 years ago, in 2006, and guess what? I still have them! Let me tell you, one thing I like is sound, and these are just as good as my Nakamichi sound system could provide.

I'll tell you, I never thought I would find anything to hook up to my computer that would match what I had in terms of a decent Nakamichi system, with specialty speakers.

However, one day I walked into MacEdge in Nashua, New Hampshire and heard this amazing sound quality. I turned and asked one of the staff what kind of speakers were making that sound and he told me about the Soundsticks.

Since I had sold everything I owned a few years earlier when I took vows in a monastery in India, I knew that buying a whole sounds system was out of the question, simply because I didn't want to have to sell or give anything else away if I decided to move to Asia, etc.,

I left MacEdge that day with a new laptop and a pair of Harman Kardon Soundsticks (which I like to refer to as my "Joysticks".

The great sadness, the inevitability of change, however, came when I tried to plug my Soundsticks into my new Mac Mini (late 2010) (what does that mean, anyway??) port, and found out it was a no-go!!!

How sad. I don't know why, but for some reason the connection is different on the back of the Mac Mini, and it just doesn't play sound. The only alternative is to plug my Soundsticks into the back of my HDPanasonic and use that for sound, which isn't bad but it's NOT the sound I get out of my HK Soundsticks.

In addition, I'm not one to play really loud music, but I love the rich tones I get from my speakers, and when the nasty next door neighbor, who has been terrorizing the rest of us with his loud music binges for the past 3 years, I can and have on two occasions strutted out my stuff and played a song or two for him, just to let him know that two can play at this game! And let me tell you, ever since that day, he knows he better not crank up his tunes because I can make the WALLS SHAKE!

Now, I know you don't have a neighbor just like that, and if you've asked him/her to lower their music and they are still acting like juvidesecrants, then this is the power tool for you. : )

In addition, today's version comes with USB ports, which makes me wonder why they d/c the other version, and why Mac Mini doesn't support the older sticks. It makes me wonder if maybe HK & Apple are in cohoots to get people to buy the new Soundsticks?

BUY them, I've yet to see ANY speaker out there with this kind of quality, and if you are in the US, you can get them now for 169.00!

cocacolakid

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2010
Chicago
The great sadness, the inevitability of change, however, came when I tried to plug my Soundsticks into my new Mac Mini (late 2010) (what does that mean, anyway??) port, and found out it was a no-go!!!

How sad. I don't know why, but for some reason the connection is different on the back of the Mac Mini, and it just doesn't play sound. The only alternative is to plug my Soundsticks into the back of my HDPanasonic and use that for sound, which isn't bad but it's NOT the sound I get out of my HK Soundsticks.

I'm confused. What connector is on your Soundsticks? The first version came with a USB connector. The second and third versions come with a 2.5mm mini-audio jack. Both USB and the 2.5mm mini-audio jack are supported by the 2010 Mac Mini (unibody). Did you connect the speakers and couldn't get them to work? If so, just go into System Preferences and change the audio settings to use the Soundsticks for output.

BTW, the Soundsticks III are $132 shipped on Amazon.

Last edited:

Rangdrol

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2008
Montreal, Quebec
Err....

I'm confused. What connector is on your Soundsticks? The first version came with a USB connector. The second and third versions come with a 2.5mm mini-audio jack.

Yeah, I figured this out...I thought I had the first version of the Sticks but no, I realized that I have SOundsticks II. What I was doing was putting the audio jack into the wrong port. For some reason, I don't know why but I thought that it was supposed to go into the other port, not the headset port. I think I spent wayyyy too much time on the computer with this yesterday and drove myself straight into a maze!

Thanks for the help. And thanks for the tip about Amazon! I can't afford new ones, but I will definitely tell a friend who loves the look. Thanks cocacolakid!

Rangdrol

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2008
Montreal, Quebec
P.s.

I also noticed, after I had posted that advice/query that the original query was posted like in 2009! Ha ha! I don't know where my head was at yesterday, really. Something happens to my brain when I spend too much time on the computer! I could have sworn that that had been posted in a month ago, so I don't know what I saw, and I'm sure that he's moved on, maybe even purchased speakers. Oh well...Is there a smiley for "confused"?:confused:

Stan Mikulenka

macrumors 6502
Nov 20, 2009
Calgary, Canada
Hi,
Soundsticks are OK for average sound levels but if you like to listen sometimes loud or play games at loud setting then they're kind of 'MickeyMouse'...
On the list mentioned before
[http://reviews.cnet.com/best-pc-speakers/?tag=nav;component.0]

I have the 1st 2 speakers (AudioEngine A5 & AudioEngine A2, both black)
+ Yamaha 8" Sub with the 'A2' ➨ on my Mini and Velodyne 12" Sub with the 'A5' ➨ on my gaming PC.

Pecorino

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2009
Richard, I bought the original Soundsticks 5 years ago, in 2006, and guess what? I still have them! Let me tell you, one thing I like is sound, and these are just as good as my Nakamichi sound system could provide.
The Soundsticks II works just fine with mac mini 2010.
I do not know what you "cooking" there... .
But the speakers are fine... .

OmegaRed1723

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2009
The Waste
I'll second the AudioEngine A5. We use them in a small room in our house away from the rest of our hi-fi gear, hooked up to an Airport Express. The sound quality is excellent, even when compared to my PSB Stratus Mini monitors. If your plan is to play music from your computer while at your desk, I'd highly recommend them.

dolphin842

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2004
jbl duets, not to expensive, good sound, nice design, and fit in with a mini

I second the (original) Duets. Great sound for the price. Lasted me 5-6 years before the wiring started to fail. I got Behringer MS-16 speakers to replace them and have been happy, though they're not as 'mac-like.'

Rangdrol

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2008
Montreal, Quebec
Problem Solved

The Soundsticks II works just fine with mac mini 2010.
I do not know what you "cooking" there... .
But the speakers are fine... .

As I mentioned in my second entry, I figured it out, "What I was doing was putting the audio jack into the wrong port."

Problem resolved.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.