Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lapino

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 6, 2009
I just tried playing Dawn of War II on my MBP under Windows7. Works fine, but the cpu temp (measured using coretemp) was 90°C after about 10mins. Is this within operating limits?

waiwai

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2009
Florida
wtf 90c? are u playing on your lap or something??? maybe a stove???

im surprised ur machine didn't auto shutdown at that temperature. its not healthy for your mbp to be operating at those temps... something is definitely up...

lapino

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 6, 2009
Well, I tried smcfancontrol now and set it to 4000Rpm and then tried some gaming (UT3). Saw the temp rise up to about 78°C/80°C but not more. MBP still feels pretty hot to touch though. Not that I mind it a LOT, I will not play games a lot on it (in fact, almost never) but I just want to make sure it performs up to scratch when I do.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
I just tried playing Dawn of War II on my MBP under Windows7. Works fine, but the cpu temp (measured using coretemp) was 90°C after about 10mins. Is this within operating limits?

AFAIK the CPU is rated to 100C and will throttle down when it hits it. Can't speak to the rest of the components in the MBP though.

cathyy

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2008
My CPU hits 77 C max, and that's when playing L4D which uses 100% of both CPUs.

lapino

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 6, 2009
And how fast do your fans spin at that time? Do you do it manually or let the mbp choose fanspeed itself?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.