PDA

View Full Version : Solution for the Airport related kernel panics in iBooks

biketechnocrat
Mar 20, 2009, 11:45 AM
Hello Everyone :-)

I recently bought myself my first Mac - an iBook G4 with the well-known Airport-issue (hence for a very reasonable price). I searched and tried a lot of ideas (paper on the Aiport-Card, software-workarounds and so on) but with little success.

The guy I bought the notebook from pointed me in the right direction - since the loose connection caused the updated kernel-extension for the airport-card the system to crash - and pushing it in harder didn't work - some loose solder-connections between mainboard an socket must have been the reason.

Long story short: I resoldered the connection there, and now It works. No KPs, fast connection, flawless sleeping and waking up - and also no Reboot-Crashes anymore.

I posted the whole process to instructables.com:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Fixing_a_broken_iBook_G4_with_Airport_kernel_panic/

I hope this'll help some people who feel let down by Apple to revive their iBooks :-)

Ah - allmost forgot: The machine I did the procedure on was an 12 inch iBook G4 with 1.33 GHz. But I guess it will be nearly the same with 1.2 GHz, 1.42 Ghz and other affected models.