PDA

View Full Version : iBook upgrade options

jtgotsjets
Mar 20, 2009, 02:56 PM
Ok, so my girlfriend owns a 14 in iBook, approximately 3.5 years old. Running 10.4, 1.33 ghz processor, 256 mb of ram. It is not running very fast with frequen slowdowns and major hangs occasionally, doing simple tasks like Internet (no other programs running).
My own 12" iBook is closer to five years old, 1 ghz, 512 mb of ram and same operating system. It is much zippier than hers and continues to be fully adaquete for most of my needs (besides needing a new battery).
My lady is at her wit's end here, as doing anything onthe iBook is now an ordeal. She wAnts to save up for a new computer (was even considering a loan!!) but I am convinced her little laptop still has some life in it.
I suspect the main culprit is the ram. 256kb wasn't really suffiecient when she bought the machine, let alone now. Add to this the fact that my computer is still fine with ram being the only major hardware difference and I'm thinking that the $17 upgrade to double her memory will make a world of difference.

I guess my question is this:
Am I right to assume that insufficient ram is the major issue here? Is there anything I can do in the mean time to give her a boost? Is there anything else that could be causing slowdown? If she just needs a little boost of memory to get her going, that might be a nice birthday present.
Eta: Is the memory from my iBook compatible in hers? I am getting an iMac soon and plan on upgrading my iBook in order to justify not getting another laptop. If I do this can I dropthe old memory into hers?

old-wiz
Mar 20, 2009, 03:56 PM
I have the 1.33 ghz iBook with just 512 mb ram running Leopard 10.5.6, and it runs quite well. I use it mostly for internet and iTunes. It's easy and cheap to put in a 1gb stick of ram in the iBook, and certainly worth trying; don't bother with just double the ram - go for the 1gb. You could also try re-installing the OS as sometimes things get clogged up. I haven't had any hangs or crashes with Leopard either. It's sometimes slow starting up, but as it turns out that's when it tries to download updates for later install. I use the iBook both with wi-fi and wired ethernet.

jtgotsjets
Mar 20, 2009, 04:27 PM
I'm not sure either of us can afford a gig stick right now, but it's good to know you also are thinking it might be the ram.

paolo-
Mar 20, 2009, 05:38 PM
Yeah, ram is probably what slows it down the most.

Choosing 512mb or 1gb will probably end up being about the same price. Mind you, it's kind of useless to invest in a computer that is evidently on it's last miles. I'm guessing you're college students. Adding some ram will probably give it a few more months, probably give you the time to get some cash to upgrade.

That said, since the ram is 'so' old, the price difference between 512 and 1gb isn't that big. All found within 10 and 40 odd bucks on online retailers and ebay.