Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 20, 2002

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
It only makes sense, doctors have been telling us for years that video games enhance hand/eye coordination, but people only focus on the negatives. Typical. Complex things like flying a fighter jet are also easier for people with gaming experience. Kind of reminds me of "Toys", where children were trained to operate drone aircraft without even knowing it, through video games. Kind of an interesting concept, now that so much is automated, humans can man the controls from thousands of miles away. Certainly today's breed of Doom playing kids will help usher in robotic warfare...

paul

wdlove

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 20, 2002
Eye hand coordination is critical in surgery. Now with the use of laparoscopic surgery, it uses the skills of video games. Plus a lot of knowledge and practice with these skills. It's becoming such a virtual world. This type of surgery is much better for the patient less pain and quicker recovery time.

Sparky's

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2004
I would be curious to see what type of game in particular would be more "skill enhancing". I guess my old days of Pac Man don't even count :(

Freakk123

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2003
Bronx, NY
Hmm... Perhaps this means that I would be a good surgeon? Yet another career option! :p But seriously, that doesn't surprise me too much. Videogames have definately enhanced my hand-eye coordination, which is useful for baseball, and other sports. I could see how playing games where lots of precision is required, like Super Monkey ball, would be useful to a surgeon.

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Abstract said:
"Where's the doctor?"

"He's warming up his skillz. Just set a new high score!"

"Sweet!!!"

*high five*

I guess Doogie Hauser was ahead of his time.

Boo yah!

Time to stary playing Counter-Strike again, I got to start my military training.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.