PDA

View Full Version : PC iPod at MWNY

arn
Jun 21, 2002, 09:03 AM
MacMinute revives (http://www.macminute.com/lib/020621winipod.shtml) PC iPod rumors by reporting on a PC iPod by July:

Needham & Co. analyst Charles Wolf reports that Apple will introduce a Windows version of the iPod possibly as early as Macworld Expo New York on July 17

First rumors of this PC iPod (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2002/04/20020428180318.shtml) stem from back in Feb. 2002 when a PC version of the iPod was rumored to have been co-developed with the 10gig version (the 10gig, which was subsequently released).

jelloshotsrule
Jun 21, 2002, 09:09 AM
hmmm, i'm still not sure how i feel abot this.

big pro: make some cash off all the people who want the ipod but have a pc.

big con: possibly stop people from buying a mac if they say "hey, i can use the pod with my pc, i don't need a mac".

i guess, as it's been said, the key is what software will it be used with... a pc itunes or just something else?

Draft
Jun 21, 2002, 09:12 AM
I really don't think that they would release a separate iPod for the PC. If anything, I would say they would just write some Window compatible software for the iPod that is currently out. Releasing a whole separate iPod for a different platform just doesn't sound reasonable.

Draft

arn
Jun 21, 2002, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by Draft
I really don't think that they would release a separate iPod for the PC. If anything, I would say they would just write some Window compatible software for the iPod that is currently out. Releasing a whole separate iPod for a different platform just doesn't sound reasonable.

It would probably just be the current ipod bundled with Windows software.

arn

iGav
Jun 21, 2002, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by jelloshotsrule
hmmm, i'm still not sure how i feel abot this.

big pro: make some cash off all the people who want the ipod but have a pc.

big con: possibly stop people from buying a mac if they say "hey, i can use the pod with my pc, i don't need a mac".

i guess, as it's been said, the key is what software will it be used with... a pc itunes or just something else?

I think it'd be a good thing...... there's already software on the net that allows PC people to use them......

Would it affect people buying a mac...... well I know that I wouldn't buy a PC just for a MP3 player....... :p

No one is just going to buy a mac to handle their MP3 collection....... :p

McFreggle
Jun 21, 2002, 09:21 AM
If it is true, it would be a real pain in the a$$ for Mediafour (http://www.mediafour.com/); they have been developing XPlay (http://www.mediafour.com/products/xplay/) for months now; it finally reached Beta 3 Stadium -- they're about to release it. Think about all the money and effort that went to development... all for nothing.

You can say now: "Too bad, that's their problem" but I don't think Apple will say so - Mediafour and Apple have a rather good relationship, and neither of them wants to ruin that. In fact, XPlay was at first called XPod, but at the request of Apple they changed the name. They thought it was a pity they had to change it, and they claimed legally it was okay for them to use XPod, but they changed it anyway, to maintain the good relationship.

So I'm quite convinced Apple won't release their own PC software...

unless... XPlay will be the official Apple supported PC software!
This makes sense. XPlay is about to be released, and Apple could push it forward as the official software for the PC iPod (and bundle it with the iPod).

k.

segastyle
Jun 21, 2002, 09:35 AM
I think it would be very beneficial for apple to "officially" have ipod available for the pc. for starters, it would help spread firewire to the wintel world faster. every wintel person knows and is excited about usb 2. when i tell them firewire has been out for years doing the same thing, they're like "what's firewire?"

As for releasing an itunes for windows, i also think that would be great. yes, it would probably suck some for mediafour. but think of it in terms of getting apple into peoples heads. everyone sees an apple and it's running MICROSOFT internet explorer and MICROSOFT office. how about when people start up windows they see APPLE itunes instead of WINDOWS mediaplayer. and don't forget APPLE quicktime player. the more people think of them as an all around fully compatable (with windows) big time player in the computer world, the more likely they would switch. "hey i already watch video and listen to music with their stuff...." and music is a huge thing now on computers.

A@ron
Jun 21, 2002, 09:37 AM
well they could always make the Wintel (won't use PC because it means Personal Computer) black and have the mac version remain white. It would correspond to the dark side and all. Not to mention apple might benefit by bumping up the price and including a Firewire card that had the power running through it. Most Wintel machines don't have a firewire card and if they do chances are that they dont run the 24 or some odd volts through the cable too. Just another way for Apple to get more money out of the wintel weenies.

A@ron

McFreggle
Jun 21, 2002, 09:40 AM
QuickTime for Windows sux compared to the Apple version. iTunes for Windows would suk too. Let Apple develop great integrated software for the Mac OS, but let the PC iPod synchronize with the (also sucky, I admit) Windows Media Player...

k.

Backtothemac
Jun 21, 2002, 09:49 AM
The real way to look at this is it makes money. period. They need to reach out to the other platforms out there. The iPod will not work with Windoze the way it does with a Mac. People will use it, and say, man, I love my iPod but I hate my PC. You don't hear Mac users saying that. Thus, I think it will bring over even more users. Especially if they get one a CompUSA or someplace like that.

segastyle
Jun 21, 2002, 09:50 AM
it wouldn't have to suck....

quciktime player sucks because all they need is somewthing that will play quicktime on windows.

mp3s already play on windows. so the challenge there would be to make a great player, not just a port. if they just wanted to port, use xplay. i've used the new windows mediaplayer. and i've used winamp. i've tried a few others in windows through the years. itunes as it stands right now is the best i've used in terms of combining power, options, stability, and extreme ease of use.

djniche
Jun 21, 2002, 09:55 AM
as far as making money is concern, it would be a good move for apple...
now I dont think the ipod will change only a official PC itunes will be released or some other software without all the features of itunes.

It might also be a good idea for apple to release Ipod 2 with enhanced features for mac owners - leaving the ipod version we have now available for the pc market.

dobbin
Jun 21, 2002, 10:20 AM
I don't see why Apple don't bring out a PC version of iTunes. And after that, bring out iPhoto and the other iApps as well.

Then who knows where it might lead to. It wouldn't make lots of money straight away, but it would increase the number of people using Apple software.

Then gradually, hardware sales would go up as people realised that Apples products really are better. Apple need to show people this by giving them a taste of it on their PCs.

Or maybe Apple should just give up and just develop software for the wintel platform. Maybe they should just accept that they are never going to dramatically increase their 5% market share of hardware.

I have often wondered what would have happened if Apple had concentrated just on Software rather than hardware and software all those years ago.

I can't see OS X for intel ever being developed, but a future Mac OS might be if there was demand and this demand might start with Apple releasing a PC version of iTunes and iPod at MWNY!

Just a thought...

Robin

McFreggle
Jun 21, 2002, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by dobbin
I don't see why Apple don't bring out a PC version of iTunes

Because the iApps are all part of Steves Digital Hub. They're free, but they make the Mac far more attractive. You get a Mac, and you can do anything with it, thanks to the iApps.

Now we don't want to turn a PC into the Dream Machine for our Digital Hub, do we?

k.

dobbin
Jun 21, 2002, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by McFreggle

Because the iApps are all part of Steves Digital Hub. They're free, but they make the Mac far more attractive. You get a Mac, and you can do anything with it, thanks to the iApps.

Now we don't want to turn a PC into the Dream Machine for our Digital Hub, do we?

k.

We might do if we sold lots of ipods and ipads and iframes and itakes and iviews and ieverythingelses.

synergy
Jun 21, 2002, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by iGAV

No one is just going to buy a mac to handle their MP3 collection....... :p

Want to bet?

I've sold a few iMacs to people wanting to use the iPod.
One lady came in with her son and wanted the cheapest mac they could get so he could use the ipod.

They had a PC at home, and that computer would be mainly used by the son.

Another guy almost bought a new iMac part reason for the ipod and part for the digital video.

Rajj
Jun 21, 2002, 11:37 AM
I had plenty of people buy macs because of the iPod!!! Crazy huh?:cool:

gandalf55
Jun 21, 2002, 12:17 PM
M$ makes office for the Mac.
Apple can make iTunes for Win.

the iPod is the best portable device i own... i have palm, pocket pc, cell phone, etc. but i use my iPod every single day as a HD and use it a lot on the weekends for the mp3s. it's the perfect little device. Sell a million of them = more $$ for Apple to R&D these kind of things.

I say Apple should release iPod 2.0 @ MWNYC for OSX and Win. Just get it over with and rake in from the efforts of making such a kick ass thing. Although I don't think Apple has the experience producing a quantity that the PC world is normally used to.

sjs
Jun 21, 2002, 01:30 PM
A windows iPod requires only two simple changes:
1. a beige case
2. software that will cause the iPod to crash in the middle of loading your music.

iGav
Jun 21, 2002, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by synergy

Want to bet?

I've sold a few iMacs to people wanting to use the iPod.
One lady came in with her son and wanted the cheapest mac they could get so he could use the ipod.

They had a PC at home, and that computer would be mainly used by the son.

Another guy almost bought a new iMac part reason for the ipod and part for the digital video.

I stand corrected then........ surely though they must have wanted a mac for something else than just the iPod???

But if it's happening then it's obviously a good thing...... :)

sweetaction
Jun 21, 2002, 02:43 PM
i wonder if apple could run apple branded iTunes from the iPod itself.

You plug in the firewire drive to a pc, it is set to notice a PC, and then runs iTunes from the harddrive.

Would that work? Maybe some slick "light" version of virtual PC?

Who knows.

aaron

windwaves
Jun 21, 2002, 07:25 PM
I will be announced this Monday. This is not a rumor. It is in the news - just search carefully (hint: international news)

ciao

Brent
Jun 21, 2002, 09:18 PM
It would make perfect sense if Apple announced the PC iPod along with the official release of XPlay.

Jobs is way too smart to start making Mac iApps available for PCs just when the tide is starting to turn. When you buy a Mac, you get the Mac experience; there is no way in hell that he wants PC users to get the same experience Mac users get when they turn on their machines.

PC iPod - very likely (almost a given because it is obviously a superior product and can make Apple lots of $ if more people have access to it), IMO.
PC iTunes - untenable for Apple, it will never happen under current market conditions and circumstances (the Switch campaign is a case in point).

Draft
Jun 21, 2002, 09:37 PM
For sure. They would never release iTunes for Windows. It will never happen. Maybe some kind of sync utility, but that's it.

Draft

King Cobra
Jun 21, 2002, 09:46 PM
For those of you who are saying that Apple will not release a software application of some such for Windoze-to-iPod, you may want to take a look here (http://news.com.com/2100-1040-938325.html?tag=fd_top).

Draft
Jun 21, 2002, 09:50 PM
I'm just saying that they won't port iTunes.

King Cobra
Jun 21, 2002, 09:54 PM
Well, I do not see what name Apple would call it. Besides, Apple has created Quicktime for windoze under the same name for Mac. And other computers have called their line of products for other OSs the same name (Office, IE, Windoze Media [dec]ayer). So I would argue for it to be called iTunes, or something along those lines. Probably the "i" would be dropped.

Draft
Jun 21, 2002, 10:16 PM
I think that the new digital hub view shows that they're going to try to keep the digital 'i' apps on the mac. Quicktime came out way before the Apple's digital hub out look.

I know that it's just my opinion, but I think that Apple will only write a sync utility.

Another big reason is when iTunes goes all MP4. They definitely won't put those capabilities on PC's.

Draft

King Cobra
Jun 21, 2002, 10:20 PM
Again, I don't expect Apple to release "iTunes", but something, maybe, such as Tunes Transfer or something along those lines.

And, damn right, peecee users are going to miss out on a lot of the extras iTunes will soon get! :D

Draft
Jun 21, 2002, 11:03 PM
Ok, King Cobra. I think that we were on the same page the whole time, we just chose different words.

Draft

DaveGee
Jun 22, 2002, 12:19 AM
Pro: Apple could use something else to get more Quicktime Installed on Peecees
Con: Makes 'switch' harder to sell...

aafuss1
Jun 22, 2002, 05:25 AM
Well, it's like iphotp- equivilant picture it!. Itunes- winamp, WMP7/WMPXP, iMovie, Windows Mocvie maker, ulead videi studio 6, iDvd, mydvd.

brandonlp
Jun 22, 2002, 07:39 AM
Originally posted by King Cobra
Again, I don't expect Apple to release "iTunes", but something, maybe, such as Tunes Transfer or something along those lines.

And, damn right, peecee users are going to miss out on a lot of the extras iTunes will soon get! :D

Just wondering what those new *features* that iTunes users are going to get. MP4 support? Well, QT6 includes support for MP4, and QT6 is available for Windows just as it is for Mac. So if Apple *did* create iTunes:windows (like IE:mac, Office:mac), I'd think they'd incorporate features that pull from QT just like they would in the Mac OS version.

- Brandon

King Cobra
Jun 22, 2002, 09:20 AM
Brandon, let me clear up a few things.

First, Quicktime is only in Public Preview, which means that (1) there are limitations to usage and (2) it will expire in (I think) October. Because of the issues with MPEG-LA and the licenses Apple will sooner or later be able to release their final version of Quicktime with full MPEG-4 support. That is bound to happen, but right now Quicktime 6 is basically in a beta mode with an expiration date.

As for what the update for iTunes will include, I kind of got a rumor going about iTunes 3 (for Mac) featuring mp4 audio support. A few others jumpped along the rumor wagon and we are not even halfway down the trail. For instance, a member previously posted that iTunes 3 will not be able to encode mp3s, but will still support them. (IMO I highly doubt it.)

I wouldn't be able to guess that well on what Apple will do for features with a windoze version of iTunes IF Apple develops and release one.

brandonlp
Jun 22, 2002, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by King Cobra
Brandon, let me clear up a few things.

First, Quicktime is only in Public Preview, which means that (1) there are limitations to usage and (2) it will expire in (I think) October. Because of the issues with MPEG-LA and the licenses Apple will sooner or later be able to release their final version of Quicktime with full MPEG-4 support.

Yes, King Cobra, I understand that QT6 is a Public Preview right now. But, when the final version is released, both the Windows and Mac OS versions will both support MPEG-4. Predicting what will happen with iTunes is impossible, but it seems to me that Apple wouldn't want to ignore a feature that they worked so hard to provide in QT6 (and one that they have been pushing for for quite some time) in a Windows release of iTunes. Now, of course, everything is a big speculation because Apple hasn't officially said ANYTHING about official Windows compatibility for iPod.

- Brandon

King Cobra
Jun 22, 2002, 10:56 AM
Here is where I am confused: If Quicktime 6 will have mpeg-4 support for windoze and Mac, while software will be needed if mp4s are going to be tranfered to the iPod for windoze as well, then wouldn't Apple have to release some sort of software that goes along with audio compatibility, similar to iTunes? I know that there are 3rd party candidates that make software, but I don't think Apple makes it better. :cool:

beatle888
Jun 22, 2002, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by dobbin
I have often wondered what would have happened if Apple had concentrated just on Software rather than hardware and software all those years ago.

Just a thought...

Robin

At first I thought what an idiot, then I thought, why not.
why not just have an Apple OS running on the PC hardware
that kicks our Apple hardware butts? I know I know, it has
tons of technichal issues but really I dont give a rats @ss
what the hardware is as long as I'm interfacing with Apple.

Maybe Apple should just be a software company

zed
Jun 22, 2002, 06:07 PM
i wouldnt like apple as just a software company,.

we would have to give up these beautiful machines :(

coolocity
Jun 24, 2002, 10:56 AM
Well, I highly doubt that they would port iTunes to the PC, but I wouldn't have a problem with it. Like someone stated earlier, they ported office to the mac, so I suppose it would be fair to "return the favor." As much as I'd love to see a million macs sell just to use the iPod, simple is better, and pc software will make things much simpler.

McFreggle
Jun 24, 2002, 04:04 PM
I'm getting more and more convinced...

Mark my words... If they release something for PC, it will be the Mediafour XPlay software, to sync with the Windows Media Player. Nothing more, nothing less.

k.

Mediafour XPlay (http://www.mediafour.com/products/xplay/)

amnesiac1984
Jun 25, 2002, 02:32 PM
yeah,

i reckon it wil be a plugin or whatever for syncing with media player, and with realone which is what all my PeeCee mates use. Real One is just like iTunes in functionality and has sort of stolen its idea but its so unintuitive, i can't believe that after all these years peecee software makers including microsoft have learnt nothing from apple in terms of ease of use!!

billiam0878
Jun 25, 2002, 11:18 PM
I don't think a Windows compatible iPod works well with Apple's "Switch" campaign. True, they would sell more iPods, however, they would give PC users one more reason not to buy a Mac. Furthermore, if Apple ported iTunes to M$ other Windows compatible iApps might be expected (perhaps with future iDevices) and the reasons for switching would become even less convincing. Well, just my 2 cents.

Bill

McFreggle
Jun 27, 2002, 04:42 AM
Originally posted by billiam0878
I don't think a Windows compatible iPod works well with Apple's "Switch" campaign. True, they would sell more iPods, however, they would give PC users one more reason not to buy a Mac. Furthermore, if Apple ported iTunes to M$ other Windows compatible iApps might be expected (perhaps with future iDevices) and the reasons for switching would become even less convincing. Well, just my 2 cents.

Yeah, but they're smart... very smart...

They'll perform a demo.
"Hey! This is the iPod, this is Windows, and this is XPlay. Now we will plug the iPod in, and it will sync."

Now, first of all they will notice it's the first time Windows notices the Firewire port. So they will have to install the whole thing.
An hour and two crashes later, they will be ready to sync the iPod. Then again the computer will crash. Then, the playlist will suddenly disappear. Then...

(Until they kick the PC, they plug the iPod into a Mac, and it beautifully syncs)

:D

Get my point? ;)

k.

billiam0878
Jun 27, 2002, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by McFreggle

Now, first of all they will notice it's the first time Windows notices the Firewire port. So they will have to install the whole thing.
An hour and two crashes later, they will be ready to sync the iPod. Then again the computer will crash. Then, the playlist will suddenly disappear. Then...

(Until they kick the PC, they plug the iPod into a Mac, and it beautifully syncs)

:D

Get my point? ;)
k.

LOL, point taken. Gotta love M$ :)

Bill

Ibjr
Jun 29, 2002, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by billiam0878

LOL, point taken. Gotta love M$ :)

Bill

Heh, especially with trustworthy computing initiative? Where will your precious apple be then? (Or my Apple for that matter!) My guess is if Microsoft felt it was a threat they would pull another code theft and then settle. The Ipod adds a lot of incentive to the switch, if MS sees it as a threat they will neutralize it, like they have done so many times before. (look at quicktime)