PDA

View Full Version : John Woo to produce 'Metroid' film!

cb911
Apr 10, 2004, 04:04 AM
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr/film/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1000480930

so you probably all know John Woo from The Hulk. FWIW, i really loved that movie, so i'm hoping Metroid will be somthing like that. :D

so far the plan is to release the first movie before 2006! sweet!! :D more than one movie... and 2006 isn't that far off either.

should be good...

Krizoitz
Apr 10, 2004, 04:47 AM
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr/film/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1000480930

so you probably all know John Woo from The Hulk. FWIW, i really loved that movie, so i'm hoping Metroid will be somthing like that. :D

so far the plan is to release the first movie before 2006! sweet!! :D more than one movie... and 2006 isn't that far off either.

should be good...

This is absolutely fantastic news! I love Metroid, lets just hope they don't butcher it.

jihad the movie
Apr 10, 2004, 07:25 AM
Yeah, Metroid is my favorite Nintendo game of all time... If this movie follows suit with the other "video game" movies... Tomb Raider, Mario Bros, et cetera, I will be extremely upset.

whooleytoo
Apr 10, 2004, 07:30 AM
So, who's going to play the "ball"? ;)

edesignuk
Apr 10, 2004, 08:10 AM
IMO Hulk was awful, we'll see how he does with this I guess...:rolleyes:

Abstract
Apr 10, 2004, 09:01 AM
John Woo didn't even direct Hulk. He directed the recent crap film, Paycheck, with Ben Assfleck and Uma Thurman; "Windtalkers" with Nic Cage; "Mission Impossible 2" (aka: not the original, but the one that sucked)....etc

Ang Lee directed The Hulk, as well as Crouching Tiger.

I'm no film buff, but John Woo has never made a good American film in his life. No, not even Face-Off was good. His Hong Kong films are also overrated. He's been so hyped up that he's now seen as gigantic in the film industry when he's really just.....bad. He basically made 2 good movie scenes in his lifetime, and they were both done over 15 years ago.

Metroid is going to suck bigger than John Woo.
:(

edesignuk
Apr 10, 2004, 09:10 AM
John Woo didn't even direct Hulk.
ROTFLMAO! That told us then! (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0286716/) I still stand by the fact that Hulk was a big pile of steaming cow **** :eek:

cb911
Apr 11, 2004, 03:05 AM
aahhhh damn it!! :mad:

well sorry about the mix up, John Woo - i've never actually heard of him before. i first saw the 'Woo to do Metorid' headline at 3dtotal.com, and it mentioned the Hulk in there as well. from then on i had Woo confused with Ang Lee :rolleyes: (sorry Ang).

well someone thinks that Woo is a god among directors (http://www.godamongdirectors.com/woo/index.shtml).

well i just hope that he does do a really good job of the film...

and here's some extra linkage to make up for my first mistake. :D

Metorid Prime commercial (http://animallogic.com/commercials/metroidprime/index.html) - Animal Logic did a commercial for Metroid Prime. check it out at that link, and view the Quicktime of the ocmmercial as well. :D that's awesome stuff. Woo should just get Animal Logic to do the effects, thus making an awesome movie!! :D

darkSector (http://www.darksector.com/) - nothing to do with Hulk or Woo... but have a look at a trailer of a game that's being made for the next gen of game consoles! awesome in game rendering! :D

topicolo
Apr 11, 2004, 12:46 PM
aahhhh damn it!! :mad:

well sorry about the mix up, John Woo - i've never actually heard of him before. i first saw the 'Woo to do Metorid' headline at 3dtotal.com, and it mentioned the Hulk in there as well. from then on i had Woo confused with Ang Lee :rolleyes: (sorry Ang).

Wow, I can't believe you haven't ever heard of Mission Impossible 2 and Face-off. They were huge Woo movies

Mr. Anderson
Apr 11, 2004, 12:48 PM
It will be very interesting to see how well this movie comes out. Video game to movie hasn't had the best track record...:D

D

Nny
Apr 11, 2004, 02:55 PM
Video game to movie hasn't had the best track record

Oh, come on...

Super Mario Bros.
Street Fighter
Mortal Kombat
Mortal Kombat: Annihilation
Resident Evil
Tomb Raider
Tomb Raider: Cradle of Life
Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within
Double Dragon

and who could forget the best one... Wing Commander

These movies each grossed dozens of dollars!

Metroid has BLOCKBUSTER written all over it (as in, I am going to rent it at Blockbuster rather than wasting my money at a theater seeing it)!!!

Urdam
Apr 11, 2004, 02:56 PM
I agree

Nny
Apr 11, 2004, 03:04 PM
and while not video games, these games became great movies too...

Clue
Dungeons & Dragons

now if only more Disney rides would get turned into movies.... that's what America needs more of!

tdhurst
Apr 11, 2004, 03:24 PM
Oh, come on...

Super Mario Bros.
Street Fighter
Mortal Kombat
Mortal Kombat: Annihilation
Resident Evil
Tomb Raider
Tomb Raider: Cradle of Life
Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within
Double Dragon

and who could forget the best one... Wing Commander

These movies each grossed dozens of dollars!
!

HEY, the original Mortal Kombat was the best video game adaption EVER, followed by res evil.

Krizoitz
Apr 11, 2004, 04:03 PM
HEY, the original Mortal Kombat was the best video game adaption EVER, followed by res evil.

Being the best video game adaption ever isn't really much of an accomplishment when you look at video game adaptions though :-)

Freakk123
Apr 11, 2004, 05:24 PM
OH. MY. GOD. This is awesome! A metroid movie! I hope it isn't cheesy and terrible like pretty much every other Video Game movie! It'll be interesting to see whether they base it off one of the games, or an original script. I hope its based off one of the games. Also, I think they should do a Halo movie and a Metal Gear Solid movie. Both could be great, as they already have good stories and would just need good acting and directing (Which, in a videogame movie, will of course never happen). But I can dream, can't I? 2006 can't come soon enough!

P-Worm
Apr 11, 2004, 08:32 PM
This movie is going to suck, and I think John Woo will be the cause of it. I can already see it now:

Samus's new suit has gone from orange/red robotic to skin tight leather. Instead of rolling up in a ball or shooting her laser cannon, she instead carries two pistols that she fights the enemy with. They both shoot until miraculously, all the guns run out of ammo at the same time, so naturally they are both incredible Kung-Fu artists.

Oh, and we can't forget the motorcycle chase scene...

P-Worm

taeclee99
Apr 11, 2004, 10:46 PM
So, who's going to play the "ball"? ;)

Chow Yun Fat who else????

Bhennies
Apr 11, 2004, 11:18 PM
This is absolutely fantastic news! I love Metroid, lets just hope they don't butcher it.They will.

topicolo
Apr 12, 2004, 12:10 AM
This movie is going to suck, and I think John Woo will be the cause of it. I can already see it now:

Samus's new suit has gone from orange/red robotic to skin tight leather. Instead of rolling up in a ball or shooting her laser cannon, she instead carries two pistols that she fights the enemy with. They both shoot until miraculously, all the guns run out of ammo at the same time, so naturally they are both incredible Kung-Fu artists.

Oh, and we can't forget the motorcycle chase scene...

P-Worm

Lol. that is sooooo true

Kingsnapped
Apr 12, 2004, 12:44 AM
Aren't the theme of the Metroid games supposed to be desolation? Every game has been Samus running around alone, shooting aliens. There is no socail interaction (save with a computer or something). The movie will have to be totally different from the games. Either it will be a true Metroid movie (and suck) or be some action film with a busty girl in a robo-suit, totally abandoning the plot of the Metroid series, but maybe getting good reviews.

MrMacMan
Apr 12, 2004, 01:14 AM
http://www.penny-arcade.com/images/2004/20040409l.jpg

I bet we are gonna have a nice looking metroid babe, in some non-metal suit...

Yeah Its gonna be horrible.