Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

applebum

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 10, 2003
SC
Ok - I have kept my e-mail with Netzero for years. I used them when I first got on the internet and didn't want to pay for dial up service. I have slowly watched their rates increase. Most recently they have decided the only way to check Free mail is by accessing through the internet. I had actually figured this would happen some time. However, as I read their statement I came across this:

Also note that Mac users will only be able to log in with a paid Platinum account, though it is possible to access multiple E-mail on the Web accounts once online.

I understand they want people to use their service, but blatant discrimination really burns me. Apparently, just because I use a Mac, I can not even sign on via the web to access my e-mail. Anyone have any idea why they would have this policy? I have checked all the other operating systems and none of them have this restriction. Is there anything Apple can do about selective discrimination? I appreciate any thoughts on this.

jhu

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2004
why don't you support your local isp instead? they're less expensive and don't require special clients to access.

Krizoitz

macrumors 68000
Apr 26, 2003
Tokyo, Japan
Wow, that makes absolutely NO sense whatsoever....its webmail, how do they know whether you are a Mac user or not? Honestly I feel a very strongly worded e-mail demanding an answer is in order.

applebum

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 10, 2003
SC
jhu said:
why don't you support your local isp instead? they're less expensive and don't require special clients to access.

I do support my local isp - Comcast cable. I have just kept my Netzero e-mail address to keep some consistency. I went through a period where I changed it all the time - with each new isp. The whole point of Netzero was that it cost Zero! I don't mind having to log in, but to have to pay just because I am on a Mac - rediculous.

I don't know how they know it is a Mac, but when I logged on today and went to customer service, it took me to the Mac customer service page. Somehow they know. Do you think it is just because of Safari? I didn't try to sign on with IE. This takes place as of June 1.

TDT

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2004
University of Iowa - Iowa
Krizoitz said:
Wow, that makes absolutely NO sense whatsoever....its webmail, how do they know whether you are a Mac user or not? Honestly I feel a very strongly worded e-mail demanding an answer is in order.

When a browser connects to an internet site, it leaves what type of browser it is to the web site, the web site can tell by comparing that header to a bunch of if statements to find out what you're running, version, screen resolution, etc.

http://www.anonymizer.com/privacytest/2.0/privacytest.cgi?test=1

The browser information part is how they know you're running a mac:
Operating System: Windows NT
Mozilla
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.4) Gecko/20030624

That says I'm in Windows 5.1 = XP, running Mozilla, rv 1.4.

This information is transmitted for the basic fact that some sites have different 'profiles' for different machines. It's a handy feature, but in the case of netzero, it's a tad abusive. You can get around this with some browsers, the one for KDE is the only one that comes to mind. You can easily bypass it though with those browsers.

Sparky's

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2004
Remember also that most online services wether ISPs or most sites in general won't allow you access unless you have "cookies" enabled. So once they look into your computer and send the info back....nuff said.

I find a whole lot of online services are PC only and it really p****s me off too. I hate it when a site says "Macintosh is not supported at this time" and they have no intensions of making it Mac friendly. So if these site don't mind loosing 5-10% of the market share then the hell with them.
(besides I finally found a Mac friendly Poker site at http://www.victoriaspoker.com/

If I remember correctly when I got (but don't use anymore) Netscape 7.0 (free download) it allowed me a free e-mail account. I never used it other than checking to see what came in every month or so, but it was free!

TDT

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2004
Sparky's said:
Remember also that most online services wether ISPs or most sites in general won't allow you access unless you have "cookies" enabled. So once they look into your computer and send the info back....nuff said.

I find a whole lot of online services are PC only and it really p****s me off too. I hate it when a site says "Macintosh is not supported at this time" and they have no intensions of making it Mac friendly. So if these site don't mind loosing 5-10% of the market share then the hell with them.
(besides I finally found a Mac friendly Poker site at http://www.victoriaspoker.com/

If I remember correctly when I got (but don't use anymore) Netscape 7.0 (free download) it allowed me a free e-mail account. I never used it other than checking to see what came in every month or so, but it was free!

Cookies don't apply here. Cookies are only there to save variable/state information from one session to another, only able to be accessed by that site (or an iframe site if people are trying to abuse this feature). Even if you disable cookies, and visit a site, your browser information is sent automatically....this can only be changed in a very few select browsers. If people want, I'll post the python scripts that I programmed for grabbing your browser information (acts like a little web server, only grabbing what the browser sends). I'll have to boot into Linux to post them though, if someone posts they want to see them, I'll post them.

Cheers

TDT

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2004
I decided to post my stuff anyways, I guess. The python script is below:

import socket

S = socket.socket(socket.AF_INET, socket.SOCK_STREAM)
S.setsockopt(socket.SOL_SOCKET, socket.SO_REUSEADDR, 1)
S.bind(('',8888))
print "Mini-Web server started, type http://localhost:8888 in your browser to connect"
S.listen(1)

newS, address = S.accept()
buffer = ''
print "A client connected from", address
buffer = newS.recv(32768)
print buffer
newS.close()

To run this application you must have python installed. just copy to a file, save it, and type "python myfile.py" as myfile.py being your python files you saved it as. Then as it is sitting there, just open up your browser and type "http://localhost:8888" and it should connect and spit out a bunch of information to the console.

I included a screenshot about all the stuff sent, just for people's knowledge.

The above app is just a small example that took me 5 min to do, don't pick on it too much :)

Attachments

• clientinfo.png
    clientinfo.png
    45.7 KB · Views: 115

Maritan

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2003
Hey Applebum - Try this. Enable the Debug menu in Safari if you haven't already. To do this open up Terminal and type the following -

defaults write com.apple.Safari IncludeDebugMenu 1

(Make sure Safari isn't running when you execute this statement.)

Now launch Safari and you should see the debug menu. To make NetZero or any other website think you're using a Windows based IE browser, go to Debug>User Agent>Windows MSIE 6.0. That should do the trick.

NusuniAdmin

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2003
Krizoitz said:

Silly, you can use javascript to see if there mac user or not.

applebum

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 10, 2003
SC
Maritan said:
Hey Applebum - Try this. Enable the Debug menu in Safari if you haven't already. To do this open up Terminal and type the following -

defaults write com.apple.Safari IncludeDebugMenu 1

(Make sure Safari isn't running when you execute this statement.)

Now launch Safari and you should see the debug menu. To make NetZero or any other website think you're using a Windows based IE browser, go to Debug>User Agent>Windows MSIE 6.0. That should do the trick.

Well, I had thought about this, but doesn't this just tell the site I am using IE? I have IE for the Mac. When I use it, NZ still knows I am on a Mac and tells me what browser version I have. If I use the Debug menu, will it make me look like I am using IE on a windows machine or IE on a Mac? I will try it if it will hide the type of machine I am on. I really don't know if it is worth all the trouble as I have a .Mac account as well. I just want my junk going to NZ. I could understand if they were saying the browser wouldn't work. However, they are simply saying they are going to make Mac users pay. I guess they feel there aren't enough of us Mac users to make a difference if they do piss us off. Poor business if you ask me. Thanks for all the replies so far. Does anyone have a guess as to why they would so alienate the Mac community?

NusuniAdmin

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2003
applebum said:
Well, I had thought about this, but doesn't this just tell the site I am using IE? I have IE for the Mac. When I use it, NZ still knows I am on a Mac and tells me what browser version I have. If I use the Debug menu, will it make me look like I am using IE on a windows machine or IE on a Mac? I will try it if it will hide the type of machine I am on. I really don't know if it is worth all the trouble as I have a .Mac account as well. I just want my junk going to NZ. I could understand if they were saying the browser wouldn't work. However, they are simply saying they are going to make Mac users pay. I guess they feel there aren't enough of us Mac users to make a difference if they do piss us off. Poor business if you ask me. Thanks for all the replies so far. Does anyone have a guess as to why they would so alienate the Mac community?
No it will tell the server that you are on internet explorer on windows

Maritan

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2003
NusuniAdmin said:
No it will tell the server that you are on internet explorer on windows

Applebum - Like Nusuni says, it will tell the site that you're on a Windows computer.

You can see this on the website TDT provided.

Go to that website with Safari and you should get something similar under the "Browser Info" heading:
Browser name: Safari
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/124 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/125.1

If you go to the Debug menu and do what I told you earlier, the results will look something like this:
Operating System: Windows NT
Browser name: Internet Explorer
Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.2)

Pretty cool, I think! :cool:

applebum

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 10, 2003
SC
Ok - I tried the hack and it worked beautifully. When I went to NZ's site this time, it said I was on Win XP IE 6.whatever. So it looks like I will be able to keep checking for free from home. Thanks for the help.

So then why would they start charging me? As of today, I can still check for free with my Mac browser. Starting June 1 I wouldn't have been able to. Would that indicate a change in their webpage so that Safari wouldn't work. Or are they just trying to stick it to a Mac user? Sounds very unethical to me - almost like price fixing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.