PDA

View Full Version : MS cutting features to bring us longhorn

howard
Apr 10, 2004, 09:58 AM
http://www.infoworld.com/article/04/04/09/HNtrim_1.html

i don't know about this... seems this could be a big mistake for microsoft, release software thats not finished...though i suppose thats what apple did with 10.0

Krizoitz
Apr 10, 2004, 10:31 AM
Well cutting corners just to get the thing out would be one thing, but deciding not to include all the bells and whistles is just part of engineering.

Besides we all know that MS programs are monumentally bloated with thousands of useless features (take a look at Word), this could be a GOOD thing. Too bad things like illegally tying WiMP and IE to their OS isn't going to get cut :mad:

howard
Apr 10, 2004, 11:28 AM
got a good point there

i wonder just what they are cutting...

Fukui
Apr 10, 2004, 11:42 AM
got a good point there

i wonder just what they are cutting...

I bet they have WinFS implemented, but Longhorn probably wont do much with it, IOW the "where's my files" problem isn't going to be solved just yet...maybe.

Cairo anyone?

iMeowbot
Apr 10, 2004, 12:35 PM
Cairo anyone?

Yep. Cairo and Longhorn both were the software equivalent to concept cars, with exactly the same engineering and marketing purposes.

Sparky's
Apr 10, 2004, 01:32 PM
I guess all the media was on this one. Heres another that says the same:
http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1104_2-5189453.html

crenz
Apr 10, 2004, 04:18 PM
What's funny is that the InfoWorld article only refers to recently missed delivery targets. Microsoft has a long history of uhm... "extreme preannouncing".

Ajmbc
Apr 10, 2004, 04:56 PM
Yeah, that always happens when you have a deadline to do something by- I agree that this is probably a good thing, too.

Winfs sounds interesting enough- HFS+ already has some sort of feature similar to this- but the Finder doesn't utilize it yet.

-ajmbc

bennetsaysargh
Apr 10, 2004, 07:44 PM
i dunno, sounds kinda stupid. it's still going to get to customers in the same timeframe and the same quality, why cut corners? plus, indigo is a rather stupid name for a communications technology ;)

Darwin
Apr 11, 2004, 04:24 AM
I've been keeping an eye on Longhorn and from what I've seen there are many features to cut :D

I don't see why its taking this long, I mean all they seem to be concentrating on are things like WinFS, Indigo etc

This may be good for the Developers but for the normal customers it seems like another release of Windows XP, of course Microsoft will disagree :D

Powerbook G5
Apr 11, 2004, 07:24 AM
Maybe if they spent less time on making pretty demos of how you can make windows ripples and wiggle upside down and trying to copy technologies from other companies, they would be able to focus on actually delivering a good OS within the time frame.

matthew24
Apr 11, 2004, 07:40 AM
Just got rid of my PC, gave it away for free. Longhorn will be the last chance for MS to deliver a decent OS, it would be a revolution.

zamyatin
Apr 11, 2004, 12:39 PM
i don't know about this... seems this could be a big mistake for microsoft, release software thats not finished...

I believe this has always been Step One in their business model...

Step Two: Lock users in, by employing quasi-illegal tactics.
Step Three: World record profits! (Outside of global mafias, of course.)

MrMacMan
Apr 12, 2004, 12:47 AM
WinFS -- What a Joke.

I remember they broke it in one of the beta's they had... and they couldn't fix it hahaha.

Longhorn? Oh please.

Powerbook G5
Apr 12, 2004, 12:50 AM
It'd be pretty nifty if they do get it working how they describe it in all the demos and press releases.

Zaty
Apr 12, 2004, 04:26 AM
During the days of XP beta (then known as "Whistler") MS always referred to Longhorn as an intermediate update between XP and the next big step, a completely new Windows known as "Blackcomb", which was supposed to debut sometimes in 2005 or early 2006. But after XP went gold, MS decided that Longhorn would be the next big consumer release while Blackcomb would become the successor of Windows Server 2003. Now it seems Longhorn could become what it was supposed to be originally, a mere XP third edition (XP "Reloaded" being second edition). Those who hope this could mark the beginning of the end of MS's reign will be disappointed. Their market share is so big that most PC users will stick with them for the years (or even decades) to come no matter how good or bad MS offerings will be. Unless they start developing a new OS from scratch, Windows will always be crappy. Anyway, cutting features from Longhorn is definitely a set back for MS but it wonít hurt them Iím afraid.

Powerbook G5
Apr 12, 2004, 09:42 AM
So after XP Reloaded, Longhorn will be XP Revolutions? I don't know, those sequels sucked big time...

Krizoitz
Apr 12, 2004, 09:56 AM
It'd be pretty nifty if they do get it working how they describe it in all the demos and press releases.

Microsoft has a long and storied history of announcing big sweeping changes. Great things that wow the public and the industry, but they do so before they have any hope of pulling it off. Its a marketing technique to try and keep people coming back by saying, oh look, our next toy is going to be bigger and better!

It reminds me of the Copland/Gershwin situation at Apple under Amelio. Promise big things without the ability to get them done and without putting the resources in to get it done.

It's great to dream big, but you gotta step up when the time comes to fulfill those dreams.

Macmaniac
Apr 12, 2004, 11:42 AM
And we expected anything less form M$? By the time Longhorn comes out in 2007 we will be on 10.5, they are going to have to cut a lot of corners to get it out fast, and if 10.0 taught us anything that cutting corners sucks:(