Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BabaG

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 5, 2007
how can i mount my 5d and just use it as a drive? right now,
when i plug it in, no icon appears on the desktop and the only
way i seem to be able to get at the camera is via iphoto. is
there a way i can mount, preferably automount, the camera
to the desktop so i can browse the card from there using finder?

thanks,
BabaG

fiercetiger224

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2004
how can i mount my 5d and just use it as a drive? right now,
when i plug it in, no icon appears on the desktop and the only
way i seem to be able to get at the camera is via iphoto. is
there a way i can mount, preferably automount, the camera
to the desktop so i can browse the card from there using finder?

thanks,
BabaG

Unfortunately, no. If you don't want to use iPhoto to browse through and select which photos to download, there's an app in your Applications folder called "Image Capture". Basically, it's a light-weight downloading program for photos.

The only way you can get our card to show up on the desktop is to get a card reader. Nowadays, they cost anywhere from 15-30 bucks, depending on how "universal" it is.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
You can always install EOS Utility (the Canon software that came with your 5D). This software is free, and you can download it from the Canon website. But a card readier is an excellent idea, too.

The Canon EOS Utility allows you to control the camera, move photos from the camera to the computer or vise-versa, download images, and control the camera for remote shooting.

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
Canon -- for reasons that are beyond me -- has not enabled this. Nikon on their dslrs allows you to either connect with the computer as mass storage device (= what you want) or to use the standard image transfer protocol (the only option you have on your Canon).

You should use Image Capture (located in /Applications/) to download your images.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.