Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TechViking

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 3, 2009
I am going to remove the Superdrive from my 2009 mini and replace it with a second HD as detailed by ifixit http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Repair/Mac-mini-A1283-Terabyte-Drive/660/8 .

I will then run OS X from the X-25M SSD and the second drive will be a 320Gb Scorpio Black which I will run XP in boot camp from ( have to use additional internal drive to boot XP from since the X25-M currently will not work with XP and I cant get XP to boot from an external drive...).

This leaves my setup without a way to work with optical media so I was looking to get an external usb drive and plug it in whenever I would need to install something from a dvd, or burn a cd etcetera.

Instead of throwing away the removed superdrive though and buy another drive, how about recycling it as an external usb superdrive? :) I would connect it via usb with a Deltaco sata to usb adapter I have.

Anyone see a reason why this would not work? Has this been done before?

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Where is the power to drive the SuperDrive coming from, or is this adapter able to transfer that little power from an USB port to the drive?

Otherwise I say it should work. I've done the same, but with IDE drives and external cases for 3.5 HDDs and plugging in 5.25" CD/DVD drives to power them.

TechViking

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 3, 2009
Where is the power to drive the SuperDrive coming from, or is this adapter able to transfer that little power from an USB port to the drive?

Otherwise I say it should work. I've done the same, but with IDE drives and external cases for 3.5 HDDs and plugging in 5.25" CD/DVD drives to power them.

It comes with an AC adapter. It could draw enough power from usb for a 5400 drive, but for a 7200 one it needs more juice. I guess the Superdrive will need the AC adapter aswell.

dkozi

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2006
calgary, ab
USB drive solution?

Hello;
I too would like to use a SuperDrive that came from a 2005 iMac 24", as an external drive but can't find a suitable case. The connector on the SuperDrive seems to be proprietary to apple, and not a standard sata connection.
Did you find a case that works?

Dave.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.