PDA

View Full Version : What will happen is I swap a G3 processor for pentium 4?

Macpropro80
Mar 21, 2009, 08:09 PM
I have an old 2.6ghz Pentium 4 sitting around and I was wondering, will it work in my g3 imac?

rogersmj
Mar 21, 2009, 08:10 PM
:eek: Maybe in another dimension. But no.

EDIT: Expanding on that...not only do processors within the same architecture often have different sockets, making them incompatible, but the G3 and the P4 aren't even in the same galaxy in terms of processor architecture. The G3 is a PowerPC processor, the Pentium (like all Intels) is an x86. Square peg in a round hole in more ways than one.

txnoob
Mar 21, 2009, 08:19 PM
I have an old 2.6ghz Pentium 4 sitting around and I was wondering, will it work in my g3 imac?

LOL. I hope you're kidding....but in case your not, no. I realize that not everyone is 100% familiar with processors and the different types and such.

But this would be like asking if you can put a Z06 Corvette engine in a in a 1980 Toyota Starlet....

Tallest Skil
Mar 21, 2009, 08:23 PM

It's absolutely freaking impossible.

PowerPC ≠ X86.

NONE of your other hardware would work. NONE of your software would work.

It CAN'T even FIT. If you HAMMERED it in there, if you SOLDERED pin by pin, it wouldn't even turn on.

Macpropro80
Mar 21, 2009, 09:02 PM
LOL. I hope you're kidding....but in case your not, no. I realize that not everyone is 100% familiar with processors and the different types and such.

But this would be like asking if you can put a Z06 Corvette engine in a in a 1980 Toyota Starlet....

I never owned a mac before the intel ones, but I kind of expected the answer i was given. I just wanted to make sure before I wasted my time.