Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AlphaWolf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 15, 2009
Hi,
I'm looking to make my first iPhone app, I'm thinking off a Pokedex or an online version of rock papaer scissors, with a few more things than rock paper scissors, and I was wondering if anyone would like to help teach me, or even just help with a few pointers of where to start, I'll be putting adverts in the free version I think ( anyone know much about this? ), so I could offer you some advertising space, we can do it togther or you simply helping me, I dont mind :)
Thanks
Joe

taewing509

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2009
Hi,
I'm looking to make my first iPhone app, I'm thinking off a Pokedex or an online version of rock papaer scissors, with a few more things than rock paper scissors, and I was wondering if anyone would like to help teach me, or even just help with a few pointers of where to start, I'll be putting adverts in the free version I think ( anyone know much about this? ), so I could offer you some advertising space, we can do it togther or you simply helping me, I dont mind :)
Thanks
Joe

Same for me, i want to learn how to develop but i have no clue where you begin...

gusapple

macrumors 6502a
Same for me, i want to learn how to develop but i have no clue where you begin...

I am just starting to learn the basics as well. A friend suggested that I learn C++ or any C programming language to begin with. (I would suggest C++, just because it's the most widely recognized language) However, I'm no expert on these languages, but would guess from looking at this document that the two are not that far apart and should take just a little while to learn Objective-C. I would start out with something like the "For Dummies" series, (which is what I'm using) but make sure that it's current. I started Tuesday, and I'm only 130 pages into it, but it's helped me at least understand the basics of programming.
My advice is to not overdo it. Try to pace yourself and don't dive straight into programming. I tried that and got discouraged and gave up.

macfanboy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2007
im a slight noob when it comes to developinng in general, but im half way finished with a game for the iPhone. if you have questions, i problably wouldnt be the one to ask though sorry :)

CocoaPuffs

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2008
It's a long journey to learn anything on your own, or even with a few helpful advisers. Easiest way is of course to sign up for classes, get things rolling much faster that way. After you get the basic foundation down, perhaps you can steer on by yourself. Programming is like math, if you don't use it, you lose it. Obsession is necessary, or at least daily usage in a job setting would be tremendously in keeping up.

Unfortunately all of the above is nearly impossible for someone who is an outsider trying to get in, they are pushing out CS graduates like no others, and these guys have the proper training to get them through these concepts much faster.

So ya, not to sound discouraging, but trying to pick up programming while spending few hours a week isn't going to do it. You will give up much sooner than you think you will.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.