Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Appleinsider made a brief return... with a new iMac rumors -- only to pull it without explanation. Details are provided at MacGeneration (translation):

an article which announces the nearest arrival of iMac with flat-faced screen. Equipped with a flat-faced screen 15 inches able to post a resolution of 1024*768, the general public computer would include G3 flirtant the Gigahertz and GeForce2 MX with 32 Mo of read-write memory.

[Edited by Macrumors on 11-30-2001 at 03:46 PM]

spikey

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2001
Oh f***ing hell not another one.
Is it just me that gets bored of hearing the same story???

kimble

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2001
superdrive

Well clearly the part about having a SuperDrive is false if the new machines are based on G3's. iDVD relies very heavily on the G4 AltiVec to do it's encoding. Encoding a DVD would take 4-5x actual length to encode on a G3!

SPG

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2001
In the shadow of the Space Needle.
My french is how you say? not so good? But I think that the comment about the superdrive was speculation added by the site, not the source.
This rumor has been coming up so many times now that it makes you wonder what's REALLY happening at Apple. Was this thing built for MWNY and not released? Is it finally going to be released at MWSF or is it just what everybody thinks Apple will make and now the prediction is becoming the rumor becoming the belief.

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
congrats spg on 200

you are almost mac god now!

it was like only yesterday that you became senior member

SPG

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2001
Sniff, sniff, thank you. I'd like to thank the academy, and of course I'd really like to thank the end of the production rush and the downtime that has allowed me to become such a prolific poster of my bad jokes, wild speculation, and generally over valued two cents.

evanmarx

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2001
Switzerland
please no flatscreen imac!

the imac is perfect ...

we just bought a new showwhite imac (700Mhz) and its gorgeous. it runs macosx 10.1 perfectly fine. and the form factor of the imac still one of the best industrial designs in the last five years. why change the form now, if it's not something totally radical? i mean totally radical!

if the lcd secreen is "just" XGA 1024x768, forget it ... why bother ... put in a g4, put in a superdrive in the top end (why else would apple have made idvd2, if not t put it into a consumer machine?) ... bette graphics and so on ... ame price ... yes

The iMac should go with a bigger screen.

Although a flat screen iMac sounds tempting, apple should be more daring with the iMac. The iMac needs to go with bigger screens. I love the iMac in fact I'm getting a 700mhz snow this weekend, but apple should go all out and give iMac a 17in screen, and in true mac fashion (The Surprise) *gasp* MAYBE a 19in screen for the iMac(Gettin a little carried away)
Still 17in is well within apples abilities. Maybe make the iMac more upgradeable with more room for expansion.
This would help capture more of the gaming market:)
Well we will find out:)

P.S. It was 4 year struggle to get this new iMac (I don't have it yet)

mymemory

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2001
Miami
iMacs are profilic units of solid plasma

The iMacs should be destroyed!!!!! they are dangerous machines used by the Taliban to compose vinil remixes of old Men Withou Hats B-sides!!!

SPG

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2001
The bigger screen CRT does have on small problem...weight. iMac's are fairly portable in their current form factor, so the weight might be considered a minor issue, a slight drawback to the bigger appeal of a bigger monitor. Bigger LCD? no problem.
The current form factor is too old. period. Apple needs a new designa that's fresh and inviting foremost. An iDVd capable high end machine (G4 or hardware mpeg encoder) would be the sh#t though.

mymemory

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2001
Miami
I'm a bit psico rush because:
About a month ago we decided (in my country) to make a manifestation and a walk to our "White House" to ask the president to leave. That is gonna happend (the walk) next friday.
Now, we just found out that the presidet gave 700 rifles to the governor (part of his political party) obviusly to start a civil war.
Our president want to stablish a dictatorship. So, he wants a masacre to happend to stablish a martial law, if that happend all garanties are put on hold, that means the gouverment can break in to your house without a permit, can close tv stations, can put people in jail, etc. as they wish.
Monday the 10th we are gonna have a national strike where evry single bussiness, may be even tv stations are not gonna work for one day, no plublic services, not hospitals, schools, etc. All because this president declared 40 new laws based on the Cuban constitution that allows him have contro on the private property.

So, he declared the 40 laws without consulting, the chamber of commerce goes to strike, we plan our walk, and the gouverment want something to happend to declare martial law and be able to put every body in jail and take over the entire country at once. So, we have to go to strike but without causing any trouble, because we have to show to the rest of the country that the president have a minority.

What is having me so upset is that the US wants to start attaking Irak when the real problem is down here. Our president is financing evry single comunist group in the world with the money we produce from the oil we sell to the US.

Next week is gonna be something. I'm building the web site of the organization by the way. And I am security too, so I do not really want to be in that walk under those circunstances. Let see want happend.

Sorry for my miss speling

Spedly

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2001
This rumor sounds reasonable. A single G3 processor option clocked at 1 gHz with a 15" monitor (LCD or otherwise) capable of 17" CRT resolution would be similar to the iBook product array. GEForce2 graphics top to bottom with a choice of CD, CR-RW, and combo drive makes sense, but I doubt a DVD-R capability. I suspect hard drives would vary from 20 to 60 gB.

The biggest surprise of this would be a new form factor IMO.

aaronvegh

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2001
gotta keep up with Compaq

the other company that introd the superdrive was Compaq, in its consumer-focused Presario line. Albeit at the top of the line. Albeit not with its ease of use! ;-) But to provide that capability in the iMac, there must be a G4. Why not axe the G3 anyway? The thing's been around for years and years...time to put it to bed. Especially with the G5 on the horizon.

Cheers,
Aaron.

PS. First post! ha ha. Sorry.

spikey

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2001
The imac does need a new shape.
Whatever shape it is going to be they will need a good designer to create it, it would be nice if jonathan ive's team did it again.

The imac needs to be become smaller and more compact, but also have something to set it apart from the ibook.

pkradd

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2001
Mr. Ive and his staff of designers are responsible for all Apple product designs the past 4 years and will continue to do that. That's their job!

Foocha

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2001
London
Bland

I think Apple's product design team have lost their way recently. Ever since the cube they've been re-defining the word bland. Silver/Grey/White and rectangular are the order of the day. What a change from the colourful and curvacious lines of old. It's odd that OS X almost looks like it was design to go with the old hardware rather than the new machines.

iPod is the worst example of Apple's new bland-chic. It's so plain white and bland it looks almost medical - more like a stethascope than a consumer device. (Don't get me wrong, I think it's a great product - I love mine and will never be parted with it - it just looks dull).

The only recent product design from Apple that I would rate highly is the Titanium PowerBook G4, which is a thing of beauty.

Now might be a good time to bring some fresh talent into the product design team at Cupertino.

spikey

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2001
I meant it would be nice if they made a revolutionary, or atleast very good design like they did with the original imac.
god damn i have to spell things out.

[Edited by spikey on 12-01-2001 at 04:32 PM]

spikey

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2001
Its not the talent thats at fault, if someone tells them to follow that design Genre then they will have to follow it.
Which leaves them with not enough to do to the product to make it look good.
I think the departure from the colours was good, people were starting to think macs were just coloured computers and werent anything special.

the quicksilvers were just a botch job and hopefully will be replaced soon. I think they were just made to fill time.
Usually in design, when someone alters a design a bit instead of a more drmamtic change it means it is about to be replaced or altered once again.
The iPod still looks better than anything else on the market.
Ibook looks nice, but is dull.
Tibook is a masterpeice of design. The elegance of it is extremely hard to create in a machine like that. Trust me.

[Edited by spikey on 12-01-2001 at 04:34 PM]

MacAztec

macrumors 68040
Oct 28, 2001
San Luis Obispo, CA
New Stuff...

I think it would be great if Apple could debut a new iMac this January. I believe it wont happen, but it would be awesome. I also think this MWSF will have a new cube. The times are ready, and so am I. The cube was probly the best computer ever built, but it was ahead of its time. I believe the new things will be the Cube, and a G5. This would put apple back on top.

spikey

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2001
Im looking forward to a new G5 tower. The signs say it will happen.
Apple have the oppurtunity to play around with shapes with a new design whilst following a minimalist approach,The size of the minitower allows them to play around with shapes and design without making the design too messy.

i think this could create something quite elegant, and as always very innovative.

spikey

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2001
If the imac will be announced with a new shape then it would be likely that it would have an LCD.
An LCD would incorporate into their "design strategy" more than a CRT would.

MacAztec

macrumors 68040
Oct 28, 2001
San Luis Obispo, CA
Spikey

I am with you spikey. A new G4 cube would be for the people who like the elegance of a G4. It also has the power. A new G5 would be awesome. For all those heavy video editors.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.