Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mgguy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 26, 2006
I have been an MR member for a couple of years now, and I still am not sure how to efficiently quote material in my posts. For example, if I want to respond separately to each part of someone's post, I now would click the "Quote" button, then copy, paste, and edit the person's post to produce a quote of the specific part I am responding to at the moment. So, for example, if there were 4 paragraphs of someone's post to which I separately wanted to respond, I would copy, paste, and edit the post 4 times to show 4 quotations for response. There must be a better way to do this (and I sure also to explain it here). I have read the MR help material and couldn't find anything on it. Any advice?

BTW, I am aware that you can quote several posts at the same time by clicking the multiple quote button, but that is not sufficient to meet my needs.

I apologize to the moderator if this is not the proper forum to post this.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
I have been an MR member for a couple of years now, and I still am not sure how to efficiently quote material in my posts. For example, if I want to respond separately to each part of someone's post, I now would click the "Quote" button, then copy, paste, and edit the person's post to produce a quote of the specific part I am responding to at the moment. So, for example, if there were 4 paragraphs of someone's post to which I separately wanted to respond, I would copy, paste, and edit the post 4 times to show 4 quotations for response. There must be a better way to do this (and I sure also to explain it here). I have read the MR help material and couldn't find anything on it. Any advice?

If it is all from the same post, hit the quote once, answer the part you want, cut the next part out at click the quote icon and paste, answer, cut paste into quote icon in window for next part and answer, etc.

BTW, I am aware that you can quote several posts at the same time by clicking the multiple quote button, but that is not sufficient to meet my needs.

It really isn't a huge hassle.

I apologize to the moderator if this is not the proper forum to post this.

Since there isn't a huge need to edit in their name again and again.

But I can see where it would be a problem for doing it for 5 different member quotes.

mgguy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 26, 2006
Thanks. I tried it and it is a lot easier than what I have been doing. Before, I didn't think not to reference their name each time, and wasn't aware there was a separate quote icon in the menu within the response window.

Now I need to learn how to do a few other things, like quoting material I find outside MR, inserting a URL link and then renaming it, and capturing and inserting graphics. I guess I'll save that for another day.

Thanks again, Sun Baked, for your help.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Now I need to learn how to do a few other things, like quoting material I find outside MR, inserting a URL link and then renaming it, and capturing and inserting graphics. I guess I'll save that for another day.

You might find this vB code list helpful

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I usually quote the post with the Quote button and then manually type
[/quote]​
in between paragraphs of the quoted text. Then I insert my comments between the tags. Only the first quoted paragraph will say "Originally Posted by mgguy" (or whoever it is), as in Sun Baked's post above, but that's OK if I'm quoting only a single person.

Thunderbird

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2005
Hi, along a similar vein, I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to quote a response chain, that is, I want to quote myself in a chain of replies with someone else; a quote within a quote within a quote, etc. It seems I can only quote the other person's reply, not my previous reply to them as well. I hope this makes sense.

Do I have to manually type the html name tags for my handle and theirs?

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
This thread reminds me of the time I asked how to quote users without manually typing the tags myself. That's right, even after a few months I had failed to notice the "Quote" button. :eek: :D

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
You can use the multi-quote button (
multiquote_off.gif
) to select multiple posts for quoting in one response.

If you wanted to arrange them with quotes inside of quotes, you'd need to manually move one quoted section inside the quote tags of another quote. You can use the "Preview Post" button to make sure things appear as you wish.

One note of caution though: Creating a series of quotes within quotes quickly becomes length and awkward to read as successive indents start squeezing the content, and for that reason, we discourage posters from doing too much of that.

Thunderbird

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2005
Thanks. I noticed when a person makes a post that contains a previous quote, the multiquote only quotes what the person writes in that post and it doesn't include the previous quote. So the only way to get the chain of previous quotes from a back and forth exchange with someone is to manually go back to each previous post that I made from perhaps pages back (in a long thread for example) and manually attach tags to them?

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Yes, so that's another reason not to do it that way.

Remember that quoted posts have links in them that let people follow the chain back and see the quoted post. In effect, you are quoting the entire history of quotes when you quote the latest one.

You might also want to play with the Display Modes drop-down at the top of each page of a thread, which gives you another way to display the conversation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.