Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

erceve

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2009
hello,

i am trying to download some music using torrents, but the download stops every 20 seconds, telling me the startup disk is almost full, but when i check my harddisk, i got like 96 gb free, so is there something wrong with my computer or am i just using a corrupt torrent file or something?

any help would be really appriciated, i included a screenshot of my harddisk info I hope it is of any use
thanks in advance

Attachments

• hd.jpg
    hd.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 130

shady825

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2008
Area 51
Perhaps downloading from iTunes would fix the problem?

I'll second that..
Now that iTunes is DRM free I have no reason to download music illegally.
That was always my biggest problem with iTunes, if I buy a song I should be able to use it how I want. Ringtone, iMovie, GarageBand, whatever...

labyrinth23

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2009
WTF? You come in here and expect to get an answer to a question like that?

"...I'm trying to do something illegal and it's not working, can you guys help me?"

You've got to be joking..

GTFO!!!

Patriks7

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2008
Vienna

"...I'm trying to do something illegal and it's not working, can you guys help me?"

You've got to be joking..

GTFO!!!

Problem is that some people find it so natural now that they don't find it illegal (like me and movies :p) Anyway, to the guys above; do you also realize that not every country has an iTunes store?

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Problem is that some people find it so natural now that they don't find it illegal (like me and movies :p) Anyway, to the guys above; do you also realize that not every country has an iTunes store?

Yes, but its illegal in almost every country. Buy a CD.

To the OP, prob a corrupt file.

derryquinn

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2007
Look, I'm not sticking up for him if he is doing illegal stuff, but Torrenting isn't illegal. He might be downloading un-copyrighted music.

And anyway, like most of the EU, it might not be illegal to download copyrighted material in his country anyway.

labyrinth23

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2009
Way to judge. You do know he could be downloading perfectly legal files?

Yes, but in this case he specified music files. And since someone already suggested iTunes and he brushed off that idea, I'm guessing he doesn't want to pay for his music.

erceve

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2009
haha, well thanks for all the help guys!!!
its a torrent file with music and videos files me and a classmate made for a project, but looks like nobody will believe me, I really liked this forum because everybody helped everybody, but it seems you guys are full of prejudices

I really love answers like that, i thought there could be something wrong with my computer since i got the message, but nobody helps me becouse you suspect i'm doing something illegal?

BTW it would be cool if there was a feature built in in garage band wich puts the files you just made on itunes wouldn't it?
comon guys?

MedHead

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2009
Cork, Ireland
I've gotten the same thing once or twice when torrenting stuff for uni...think it has somehing to do with the torrent client, what one are you using?

I just ignored it and the file continued to download fine.

erceve

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2009
well the problem is not only the message, but it stops downloading everytime the message shows up, i'm using utorrent, thank you for the first serious reply

michael.lauden

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2008
i hate that people on here are so willing to tell others what to do - instead of helping them with their problems.

he's not asking for legal information, and he's not asking to debate the lawfulness of what he's doing.

he's asking why the download is doing that - not for you to add noise.

anyway. i would recommend to try a different torrent client - see if the result is the same. it may be a setting to alert you.

hamchapman

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2008
Transmission is quite popular but might not have all the features or the nice glossy look that you will be used to with uTorrent.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Transmission is about the best Torrent client you can get right now. All the features of azureus, none of the overhead of Java and the Vuze crap they push.

erceve

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2009
ok, thank you guys, i'll try transmission and see if I still get the same message

shady825

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2008
Area 51
BTW it would be cool if there was a feature built in in garage band wich puts the files you just made on itunes wouldn't it?
comon guys?

Umm, you CAN do this. Click 'Share' in the top menu and you can figure it out from there I'm sure.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
haha, well thanks for all the help guys!!!
its a torrent file with music and videos files me and a classmate made for a project, but looks like nobody will believe me, I really liked this forum because everybody helped everybody, but it seems you guys are full of prejudices.

"or am i just using a corrupt torrent file or something?"

If they are your files you'd already have tested to see if they were corrupt, especially since there is no way your drive could be full.

Or you could just use FTP.

CarlisleUnited

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2007
Nederland
I get the same problem sometimes when using utorrent, havn't tried any other programs to see if it specific to utorrent but what i did notice is that when the notice came up finder said i only had about 2GB of free space, when I dismissed it went up to 165GB. It doesn't really bother me because i hardly use BitTorrent but it is a weird bug.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.