PDA

View Full Version : Should I bother with this PowerBook G4?

Str8edgepunker
Mar 23, 2009, 08:01 AM
Hello there, I'm looking for some advice on a purchase I'm loosely considering. It pertains to this ad below:

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/sys/1084340188.html

I managed to talk him down to $250 but I'm wondering if I should even bother with it. It is the 1.67 with the hi-res screen, but I just wonder whether that's been a big problem with those models or whether I should just forego it. Thanks!

old-wiz
Mar 23, 2009, 08:26 AM
Given that it needs repairs, why bother? can you fix the board? It's not a cheap fix.

clyde2801
Mar 23, 2009, 08:28 AM
1. Do you need the dc board, or are you content with recharging the batteries?

2. How much would it be to get the dc board fixed?

3. How much would a similar model with no problems cost?

4. How much would a hard drive cost, and are you confident you can install it?

5. What do you intend on doing with the system?

It sounds like this thing took a major electrical strike and fried the hard drive and dc board. I wouldn't be suprised if other components fried as well.

Str8edgepunker
Mar 23, 2009, 08:33 AM
I'd definitely need a DC board and the DC board is a $100 part and I'd be able to replace it. Also one thing I forgot is that the hard drive isn't a problem, he removed it to keep his old data files. He says that one day it just stopped charging. I've got a laptop hard drive already and can install them just fine.

A similar model with no problems probably would cost about $500-600 and I intend to do schoolwork on it and web browsing.

JG271
Mar 23, 2009, 08:42 AM
A similar model with no problems probably would cost about $500-600 and I intend to do schoolwork on it and web browsing.

Well, go for it then! The only thing might be, if it has other problems not mentioned by the seller. Then you might end up spending more repairing that one than you would have done buying one in good condition.

Str8edgepunker
Mar 23, 2009, 08:52 AM
Well, go for it then! The only thing might be, if it has other problems not mentioned by the seller. Then you might end up spending more repairing that one than you would have done buying one in good condition.

That's the only concern that I'd have with it is that if the DC board doesn't fix the problem. I mean all signs seem to point to that being the problem, but I'm still on the fence because it sure is a doozy of a catch 22. He said he would test it for me, but without a hard drive, I don't know exactly how he's going to do this.

One other question. How much do you suppose it would be worth to part out?

EDIT: The guy sold it, so close this thread.

maccompaq
Mar 23, 2009, 09:55 AM
Just a thought for future reference to others. A laptop can have hard usage. so I would have a hard time encouraging anyone to buy used.

I have read many posts from those who have minor problems with laptops asking what to do, fix or sell and buy new. Most people say to sell on eBay or Craigs and then buy new.

So, buyer BEWARE.