Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

duncanapple

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2008
Has anyone ordered the new shuffle that had the old (2nd gen) version? I am curious if the new USB/sync cable works on the old shuffle? I hate the cable/dock USB cable combo that came with my 2nd gen shuffle, would be great if the new cable worked with it. Not sure why it wouldn't since both version of the shuffle use the same audio/data port via the headphone jack.

The way the old 2nd gen cable had the 2.5mm jack perpendicular with the plastic dock, I am always afraid its going to poke a hole in my backpack with I carry it, plus I like how the new cord is shorter (a good benefit if you have a laptop or keyboard USB ports - sucks if you have to dangle it from a towers USB port lol)

jzuena

macrumors 65816
Feb 21, 2007
Has anyone ordered the new shuffle that had the old (2nd gen) version? I am curious if the new USB/sync cable works on the old shuffle? I hate the cable/dock USB cable combo that came with my 2nd gen shuffle, would be great if the new cable worked with it. Not sure why it wouldn't since both version of the shuffle use the same audio/data port via the headphone jack.

The way the old 2nd gen cable had the 2.5mm jack perpendicular with the plastic dock, I am always afraid its going to poke a hole in my backpack with I carry it, plus I like how the new cord is shorter (a good benefit if you have a laptop or keyboard USB ports - sucks if you have to dangle it from a towers USB port lol)

Apple's site explicitly calls out that the cable only works with the 3rd gen, so I am guessing it isn't going to work. If someone finds out for sure that it does that would be great for me as well.

Compatibility Information

The Apple iPod shuffle USB cable is compatible only with iPod shuffle (3rd generation)

mckyvlle

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2007
London, UK
+1

Has anyone tried the Shuffle 3G USB cable on the 2G Shuffle?

Alternately, is the 3G Shuffle using the same pinouts as the 2G Shuffle? Like this.

Diaresi

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2007
While this is purely speculative (I only have a 2G) but I think the chances are quite high that the 3G cable will work with the 2G. The male plug looks identical and I can't see any reason Apple would change the wiring.

mdwsta4

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2007
i guess my question would be why? are you buying a 3rd gen, but still planning on using the 2nd gen? if not, were you planning on buying the cable separately? if that's the case, how much does that cable cost? i can almost guarantee it'll be more expensive than incipio's adapter which is arguably smaller and nicer. i've never even used the 2nd gen's doc, always used this:
http://www.myincipio.com/product/IP...er_for_the_2nd_Gen_Apple_iPod_Shuffle_2G.html

i get what you're asking, but it doesn't make sense when there are options that are just as good and cheaper.

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
Nope, I can confirm that it does not work. I tried to free up some USB ports, the 2nd gen does not work on the 3rd gen cord. I believe this is probably something to do with the fact the 3G battery is significantly smaller than the 2G.

jpgnfx

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2009
actually i've been trying to find the pin-outs for shuffle 3G in vain.
i lost the cable and its considerably costly to replace :(
about 1/5 the price of the whole shuffle package.

resnovich

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2009
actually i've been trying to find the pin-outs for shuffle 3G in vain.
i lost the cable and its considerably costly to replace :(
about 1/5 the price of the whole shuffle package.

The 3g shuffle doesn't use the 5v power (red) and the usb cables are shipped without the wire connected at the usb end. I believe the 3g shuffle uses 3.3v over the data lines vice 5v which may explain why the battery is smaller but still able to last as long as it does.

I am not sure if plugging a 2g cable into a 3g shuffle will fry it. anyone willing to give it a go?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.