PDA

View Full Version : G4 MDD won't boot from a CD

sotied
Apr 11, 2004, 02:09 PM
Not sure if I'm doing something wrong...or if I'm an idiot...or both. But I've got the Panther install disks and have double clicked on the "Install Mac OSX" app and it comes up with a box that says "Your computer will restart and installation will take place" or something similar.

I click on Install and the Admin password box comes up. I put in the correct password, the computer restarts, the CD spins a little and then the hard drive kicks in and I get my regular screen with a NEW folder of all the stuff that's on the Install 1 CD.

Do I need firmware, do I need therapy, should I just buy another Mac (I know, that's rhetorical...I should always buy a new Mac).

Thanks,

Jeff

Horrortaxi
Apr 11, 2004, 02:58 PM
Is the disk scratched/damaged/etc? Is it burned on a CDR? It sounds like it's trying to read but giving up. Do you have any other CDs you can boot from?

thedoc1111
Apr 11, 2004, 05:49 PM
Have you replaced the Optical Drive ever? You may (unlikely) have a drive that cannot be booted from.

Try booting with the C Key held down (after the chime before the screen turns on).

Then try the same thing with Option key held. When OS 9 style boot screen shows, click the CD and press Return.

Then try Reseting the PRAM & NVRAM. Hold down Apple-Option(alt)-P-R simultaneously as above until you hear a second chime. Then restart again, holding down Apple-Option(alt)-O-F and then type (very carefully):

reset-nvram [press return]
reset-all [press return]

Then try booting with C Key again.

If this doesn't work, hmm…

Ask again

Yours doc