PDA

View Full Version : Apple Discontinues iPhone Bluetooth Headset

MacRumors
Mar 23, 2009, 12:51 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/03/23/apple-discontinues-iphone-bluetooth-headset/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2009/03/23/134821-bt_headset_500.png

Last week, MacRumors reader alansmallen noticed (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=671224) that Apple had discontinued their iPhone Bluetooth Headset (http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB536LL/A), which had been released alongside the original iPhone in mid-2007.

At their recent iPhone OS 3.0 media event, Apple revealed that support for A2DP (http://www.macrumors.com/2009/03/17/highlights-of-apples-iphone-os-3-0-preview-copy-and-paste-a2dp-mms-much-more/) (stereo Bluetooth) will be included in the next-generation iPhone software. The iPhone 3G's hardware is capable of supporting A2DP, and upcoming iPhone models would of course also be expected to do so, but the original iPhone will be unable to support the technology.

Whether this means that Apple will be releasing a stereo Bluetooth headset or not remains to be seen, but it certainly seems to be a reasonable possibility.

Article Link: Apple Discontinues iPhone Bluetooth Headset (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/03/23/apple-discontinues-iphone-bluetooth-headset/)

overanalyzer
Mar 23, 2009, 12:54 PM
Wireless earbuds with a built-in microphone and the click-button controls that the wired earbuds have would be interesting....

mmzplanet
Mar 23, 2009, 12:55 PM
If anything this guarantees something new is coming. I can't imagine them not selling some sort of bluetooth earbud.

mkrishnan
Mar 23, 2009, 12:56 PM
Wireless earbuds with a built-in microphone and the click-button controls that the wired earbuds have would be interesting....

I wonder if wireless earbuds can be made in a way that makes some sense. Perhaps a design with a magnetic charger like some phones have had recently?

I've fallen very off using my bluetooth headset (Motorola), but recently, I have been thinking about getting a new one with better noise canceling, like the Jawbone 2, merely because it would be useful when talking on the phone outside...

Tallest Skil
Mar 23, 2009, 12:58 PM
If anything this guarantees something new is coming. I can't imagine them not selling some sort of bluetooth earbud.

So based on this, we can expect a new iSight any SECOND now, since they stopped selling the iSight, too, right? Right?

This doesn't guarantee anything except Apple has somewhat admitted that their headset sucks (battery life, reception, etc.)

leandromp
Mar 23, 2009, 01:06 PM
So based on this, we can expect a new iSight any SECOND now, since they stopped selling the iSight, too, right? Right?

This doesn't guarantee anything except Apple has somewhat admitted that their headset sucks (battery life, reception, etc.)

I agree with you.

IJ Reilly
Mar 23, 2009, 01:06 PM
I've fallen very off using my bluetooth headset

Ouch! Don't the instructions say, "never use while driving a motorcycle"?

bacaramac
Mar 23, 2009, 01:07 PM
I would hope apple releases something since they have that awesome battery indicator feature. Or allow third party manufactures the ability to use the battery monitoring feature with their headsets.

SFStateStudent
Mar 23, 2009, 01:16 PM
Thank god; the Apple BT was the worst $40/$60 I ever spent. I threw it in when I sold my v1 iPhone, and the buyer was "like, uh I don't want it!" Too late, I already shipped it; and you WILL like it! :eek::p:D

Michael73
Mar 23, 2009, 01:18 PM
I went through a bunch of BT headsets for my Blackberry. The funny thing is the last one broke about the same time I got my most recent car which has handsfree BT built-in. Nineteen months later I still haven't replaced my headset. I realized the majority of time I was on my phone was in my car during commutes.

I remember about a year or two ago there was some talk about Apple working on a so-called iCar which I think is along the lines of what Ford has in the Microsoft Sync. I really wish this project would be dusted off and worked on again...

Anonymous Freak
Mar 23, 2009, 01:20 PM
I liked it with the iPhone 3G, because it didn't have nearly as much static. When I used it with my original iPhone, I swear I had to have my phone within six inches of it to avoid static. Kind of defeats the purpose of a headset...

But by then, the battery was so dead, it only lasted in *STANDBY* about six hours. Yeah, needless to say, I'll be waiting a few months after the release of any replacement to see how the reviews turn out.

timothyjay2004
Mar 23, 2009, 01:21 PM
Appleinsider is stating that it might have been discontinued for other reasons:

"AppleInsider has received a couple of unconfirmed tips that suggest Apple may have recently recalled existing inventory of the iPhone Bluetooth Headset for undisclosed reasons."

mpeterson78
Mar 23, 2009, 02:45 PM

Didn't they stop selling the iSight because the camera was built into the desktop monitors and the laptops?

Dmac77
Mar 23, 2009, 02:51 PM
Didn't they stop selling the iSight because the camera was built into the desktop monitors and the laptops?

I also remember reading something about lead or arsenic being in them. I can't seem to find the article anymore though.

Don

lazyrighteye
Mar 23, 2009, 03:05 PM
Granted, it was/has been the only BT ear piece I have ever used - but it sucked.
Sure, it was small (which did not suck) and simple to use (which also did not suck) but the battery life (major suck) and price (lots of sucking here too - but par for the course with Apple accessories) made it one of the most useless Apple accessories I have ever purchased. I used t a few times because I could. But the practicality, for me, was not there.
I only bought one because A) I hate wires, B) the original iPhone's speaker was so quiet that it was completely useless & C) I had a gift card to the Apple Store.

I'd like to see the next gen iPhone come with BT ear buds w/ built-in mic.

Old Muley
Mar 23, 2009, 03:58 PM
Personally, I think the people who use BT headphones look like complete tools. No, let me rephrase that- the people who walk around all day wearing them on the outside chance they might get a phone call are the tools. I can see why the Apple version got the axe; it doesn't look a Braun electric razor, there's not enough chrome and it has no blue flashing LEDS. ;)

mac88
Mar 23, 2009, 04:00 PM
Appleinsider is stating that it might have been discontinued for other reasons:

"AppleInsider has received a couple of unconfirmed tips that suggest Apple may have recently recalled existing inventory of the iPhone Bluetooth Headset for undisclosed reasons."

Doesn't sound good does it? I wonder if they will ever disclose the reason?

Stig McNasty
Mar 23, 2009, 05:32 PM
I've used the Apple BT with my S E phone and it's great, standby's battery's fine, no static - maybe they're just cak when used with an iPhone :D

bier-meister
Mar 23, 2009, 05:40 PM
No harm, worst apple product I've owned. Always falling out of the ear, more likely to cause an accident than prevent one!

BASE91
Mar 23, 2009, 11:37 PM
We're closer to the BT problem being fixed. Now its time for apple to fix the BT on the iphone so I can use a BT headset with the phone in my pocket and not get major static.

Maven1975
Mar 23, 2009, 11:59 PM
Their headset was nice form factor wise, but the performance was horrid.

tjcampbell
Mar 24, 2009, 05:01 AM
This thing was overpriced. I hope they come out with some stereo Bluetooth headsets. I'd been interested in a set of those, however I am loving my new Sennheisers.

mckvakk
Mar 24, 2009, 06:40 AM
Hopefully there will be a great deal on refurbished or remaining stock. I love this set, but don't want to pay that price

Tedeks
Mar 24, 2009, 07:45 AM
Hopefully there will be a great deal on refurbished or remaining stock. I love this set, but don't want to pay that price

I agree, but the real question becomes what is in the pipeline. I bet they have something brewing that will get announced later this year.

thejadedmonkey
Mar 24, 2009, 12:27 PM

Tilt your head once to play/pause, twice to skip forward, three times to go back. Told and hold your head to rewind.:D

mikeinternet
Mar 24, 2009, 12:57 PM
Personally, I think the people who use BT headphones look like complete tools. No, let me rephrase that- the people who walk around all day wearing them on the outside chance they might get a phone call are the tools. I can see why the Apple version got the axe; it doesn't look a Braun electric razor, there's not enough chrome and it has no blue flashing LEDS. ;)

HA! The borg look is in.

optophobia
Mar 26, 2009, 11:51 AM

Well, since the iSight had a replacement (built in laptops, imac etc) then this suggests that the bluetooth headset will have a REPLACEMENT.

Pika
Mar 26, 2009, 12:37 PM
HA! The borg look is in.

http://www.ipshift.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/steve-jobs-of-borg.jpg

vikingdave
Mar 27, 2009, 10:21 PM
The fact that Apple is no longer selling the bluetooth headset has absolutely nothing to do with A2DP.

A2DP is great for stereo headphones, stereo earbuds, playing music through your car stereo without wires ..., but has absulutely no applicability for hands free calling.

Because A2DP does compression on the fly, it adds a little latency which would make using it for phone calls very annoying.

Apple may come out with A2DP stereo ear-buds, but it's just a completely different product than the headset they discontinued, who knows if it will be replaced.

The ipHone 3.0 beta (which I am running) supports A2DP, as well as the older (and better for phone calls) hands free mono bluetooth.

I actually like my Apple bluetooth headset, my only gripe is battery life.

lfine39
Mar 28, 2009, 05:38 PM
The fact that Apple is no longer selling the bluetooth headset has absolutely nothing to do with A2DP.

A2DP is great for stereo headphones, stereo earbuds, playing music through your car stereo without wires ..., but has absulutely no applicability for hands free calling.

Because A2DP does compression on the fly, it adds a little latency which would make using it for phone calls very annoying.

Apple may come out with A2DP stereo ear-buds, but it's just a completely different product than the headset they discontinued, who knows if it will be replaced.

The ipHone 3.0 beta (which I am running) supports A2DP, as well as the older (and better for phone calls) hands free mono bluetooth.

I actually like my Apple bluetooth headset, my only gripe is battery life.

I have 2 Apple bt headsets (i actually loved mine) but since going to 3.0 they will not sync with iphone Did you sync with 3.0?????

kingtj
Mar 29, 2009, 02:07 PM
If Apple adds the stereo bluetooth audio streaming capabilities with OS 3.0, you'll get another really cool benefit from it. I just saw a number of new car stereo head-units are going on sale that support it. Therefore, with one of those in your car, you could play your music collection through your car stereo wirelessly from your iPhone! That's a huge plus, IMHO.

Fazzl
Mar 29, 2009, 03:32 PM
I prefer the Jawbone anyways much better quality.

speed4tu
Mar 30, 2009, 10:06 AM
We're closer to the BT problem being fixed. Now its time for apple to fix the BT on the iphone so I can use a BT headset with the phone in my pocket and not get major static.

I can use my motorola headset with my phone in my pocket or across the room and it never has static unless i get over 20 feet or so away from the phone.

Bye Bye Baby
Mar 31, 2009, 07:22 PM
Something better on the way?

reddy
Apr 1, 2009, 03:31 AM
apple is awesome!

twoodcc
Apr 1, 2009, 06:43 PM
oh wow. i hope they do update it then

roland.g
Apr 5, 2009, 09:10 AM
I bought one when they came out and loved the dock with charging for both. It was a bummer that when they updated to 3G they didn't update the dock because since then you can only use the travel charger. (I never used a dremel to make the dock fit the 3G phone. I got mine replaced under the 1 year warranty for poor battery performance and syncing issues but just broke my 2nd one after 8 months on it. I was going to get a replacement but was looking at the newer jawbone. Never been a fan of the earloop headsets, which is why the Apple one was great. I always had great sound performance on both my original and 3G iPhone but as everyone else has said the battery life is awful. I simply charge mine nightly. However, I dropped it and stepped on it 2 nights ago and now the button is broken. I was planning on buying a new one today or a competitors and was bummed to see it is not available. Maybe I will see if I can go without for a little while until news of a replacement comes down the line.

Kardashian
Apr 5, 2009, 09:53 AM
I've never, ever seen one of these in person or head of anyone buying it, so I'm hardly surprised it was discontinued - much like the iPod Hi-Fi.

Gent
Apr 10, 2009, 06:41 PM
huh.

I like mine. It's not as good as my old Sony BT, but it worked fine in the car (where I used it), stayed in my ear and was subtle - no flashing nonsense like the others. Stayed charged reasonably well. I guess I got a good one.

Had an interesting glitch with it a few times while using an FM transmitter for the car stereo. I received a call, and became able to hear the music on the earpiece when I answered the caller. The caller couldn't hear it, and the car stereo had muted with the incoming call.

The only real downside was that unlike the Sony BT, I couldn't use it with my PS3 for online gaming. Pairing it was too much trouble.

hippo206
Apr 22, 2009, 04:09 PM

Why would they have to sell isights when nearly everything they currently make has one built in?

Edit:

As stated in a couple post above me:eek:

AppleNewton
Apr 22, 2009, 09:06 PM
I almost forgot this item even existed.
Where I use to work these used to be a hot seller...and a hot item for thieves.

DEVILMAYCRY99
May 6, 2009, 06:54 AM
They have probably realised that you look silly if you wear this one in the street