PDA

View Full Version : Powerbook Titanium Problem,Logic Board?

cpress
Mar 23, 2009, 01:04 PM
I was using my trusty powerbook 500 mhz and when i closed the screen while the machine was on, after @ 1/2 hour i opened the screen up and NOTHING!. i restarted and nothing again, the caps lock key will light up, so i am assuming the power supply is ok. No chime and black screen, any suggestions on what it might be...im thinking logic board, if so what ones will fit that model
Thanks in advance!
David

ekoe
Mar 23, 2009, 01:51 PM
Try pressing CTRL :apple: Delete. This is a quick restart.
Some PowerBooks have 'wake from sleep issues'. There are some things you can try (search 'PowerBook wake from sleep issue'), but I haven't been able to resolve the issue when I've seen it. Many Mac users just live with it. If it is the wake from sleep issue, you should set your system preferences to never go to sleep, and only close the PowerBook when you want to put it to sleep. When you want to wake it, press CTRL :apple: Delete.

sschuldt
Mar 23, 2009, 05:05 PM
My Titanium PB died and the caps lock still lit also. Eventually found it to be the PMU.

cpress
Mar 23, 2009, 05:18 PM
My Titanium PB died and the caps lock still lit also. Eventually found it to be the PMU.

What did you end up doing?

Darth.Titan
Mar 23, 2009, 05:28 PM
If it is the PMU try:

If the computer is on, turn it off.
Disengage the two keyboard latches located between the Esc and F1 keys, and the F11 and F12 keys. (You may also need to disengage the keyboard locking screw located between the F5 and F6 keys.)
Lift the keyboard. To ensure no harmful static electricity is transferred to the computer, properly ground yourself before performing this procedure.
Press and release the reset button located on the upper right side of the logic board near the power button, shown here.
Wait 5 seconds.
Press the power button to restart the computer.

cpress
Mar 23, 2009, 07:18 PM
Do you have the pic of the location of the button?

cpress
Mar 24, 2009, 05:01 AM
I noticed that when I power on no fans come on the DVD drive does not spin. There is a cd in the drive. Am I right in assuming it's the logic board?

ekoe
Mar 24, 2009, 05:24 AM
Please let us know if you've tried the suggestions above, so we have an idea how to proceed.
You have no fans and no SD spinning, but is your screen illuminated now?
Can you be more specific?

sschuldt
Mar 24, 2009, 08:15 AM
What did you end up doing?

I replaced mine(that's how I know it was what was wrong) with the instuctions at: http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Repair/PowerBook-G4-Titanium-Mercury-PMU/66/1