PDA

View Full Version : PowerBook-Style vs Unibody

MarcBook
Mar 24, 2009, 08:09 AM
Which design to you prefer and why?

Personally I rate them equally, apart from the physical/magnetic latch difference. Magnetic is far better, of course. I do love the 'classic' MacBook Pro design, though. Still one of the best notebook designs ever, in my opinion.

Tallest Skil
Mar 24, 2009, 08:13 AM
I prefer the unibody body to the PowerBook G4 body because of its elegance. All metal beats plastic rims any day.

I prefer the PowerBook G4 screen to the unibody's glossyness, but I'm okay with the black border.

So I guess the screen is the only thing keeping me from ever buying another laptop.

Glass is fine on the iPhone where it is needed for multitouch, and I would embrace it on the 13.3" MacTablet, but vertical screens need to be matte.

zelmo
Mar 24, 2009, 08:14 AM
I love my UB 15" MBP, but every now and then I see my wife using my old PB G4 and get a little wistful. Ahhh, good times. :p

They are both beautiful computers in their own way.

MarcBook
Mar 24, 2009, 08:17 AM
One thing that looks great on the PB G4s is the super-thin display bezel. It's a shame they still aren't like that on the MacBook Pros, although the UB 17" is getting there.

jb1280
Mar 24, 2009, 08:27 AM
The aesthetic qualities and the keyboard are a matter of taste. I personally prefer the new keyboard, again preference.

The unibody is far superior in the build quality and elegance of the design - all metal, great trackpad, and easy access to hard drive and memory.

It still floors me that Apple made a notebook where a latching mechanism exposes the hard drive and can be replaced almost as easily as a battery.

peskaa
Mar 24, 2009, 08:30 AM
Unibody, but I prefer the thin bezel of the PowerBook era. Black bezel is fine though.

jofus
Mar 24, 2009, 08:32 AM
I used to side with the old design. That is, until Apple swapped out my early 2008 15.4" for the new unibody. I was hesitant at first, mainly due to the screen, but I have experienced no issues with the screen at all. The unibody just feels much more solid than my old Early 08 model.

While I calibrate both the laptop display and my external monitor, I do my photo editing on the external monitor. Any deficiencies in the glass/gloss screen reproducing color accuracies vs. the matte screen (which I'm not sold that it has those purported deficiencies) are inconsequential because of the external display. Perhaps there are people who use the display on the MBP as their sole editing display, but to my knowledge the MBP display is 6 bit and uses dithering to display all the necessary colors (if that understanding is incorrect, someone please correct me).

MarcBook
Mar 24, 2009, 08:40 AM
until Apple swapped out my early 2008 15.4" for the new unibody.

How come they gave you a unibody replacement?

the MBP display is 6 bit and uses dithering to display all the necessary colors (if that understanding is incorrect, someone please correct me).

Yes, that's true for the 15" models definitely.

The 17" unibody MacBook Pro is supposed to have a 60% greater colour gamut, which suggests more capable colours.

jofus
Mar 24, 2009, 09:15 AM
How come they gave you a unibody replacement?

Yes, that's true for the 15" models definitely.

The 17" unibody MacBook Pro is supposed to have a 60% greater colour gamut, which suggests more capable colours.

Thanks for the confirmation on the displays.

As far as the new computer, I kept a log of stuff as it was happening, so I'll just paste that here rather than retyping a condensed story:

I purchased a 15" MacBook Pro in February of 2008. In December of 2008, I began to have an intermittent problem with the right speaker on my computer. Upon visiting the Genius Bar on Monday, February 2, 2009 I was informed that the fix would require some new parts that would need to be ordered and that I'd get a call in a few days letting me know they were in stock. The repair might take a few days, but they may be able to do it the same day if they werenít busy.

Told when I dropped it off on 02/09/09 that it was late in the day so it probably wouldn't be done that day, but he would set it up to be done the next day.

Called on 02/10/09 around 5:30 and was informed that the parts were still being allocated, and it would be done that night.

Called on 02/11/09 around 4:00 and was informed that it should be done by 02/12/09 and that the parts were still being allocated and that they would definitely call when it was done.

Called on 02/13/09 around 5:00 because I had yet to hear back. Was told the computer was ready for pick up. Went in to the store where I was asked to check out the computer before I signed for it. As the audio problem was intermittent, I was unable to confirm that my problem was resolved. However, noticed that the left fan was running at 6000rpm and the right one was not working at all. The original Genius that diagnosed my problem said he'd take it in back and see what was going on. 20 minutes later came out to say one fan wasn't plugged in, but now they were both running at 6k RPM. He was running some tests and would call me with an update.

Was called on 02/15/09 in the morning to say that it was ready for pick up. Picked up the computer. They had replaced the logic board. Got home and noticed some scratches/gouges near the superdrive. Internet wouldn't work with either ethernet or wireless. Called Apple support and went through some steps. Told me to take it in. Took it in that day and was told I needed to reinstall the operating system by another Genius. Did that and then ran updates. The manager told me they'd need to send my computer off to get the scratch repaired. Would take 5 to 10 business days.

7:30pm on 02/16/09. Notice that putting slight pressure on a headphone or speaker plugged into the headphone port distorts the audio feed. Either buzzing or mono sound or cutting in and out. Set up appointment for 6pm on 02/17/09

Went in on 02/17/09, talked with the Genius that I originally checked the computer in with for the sound problem (who was amazed I was in the store yet again) and he went and talked to the manager. They offered me a new one as a swap because of the hassles. I was hesitant at first, but gave in because new, shiny, gadgety things are my weakness.

All through the process the Geniusís were great to work with. Everyone was cordial and willing to help. I never got upset with them or angry.

MarcBook
Mar 24, 2009, 09:22 AM
As far as the new computer, I kept a log of stuff as it was happening, so I'll just paste that here rather than retyping a condensed story:

Wow, that's quite a story. I'd be willing to go through all that to get a free unibody MacBook Pro! That said, I do love the one I've got. I'm gonna try and use it for as long as I can and hopefully never get rid of it. :D

ViciousShadow21
Mar 24, 2009, 09:26 AM
nostalgia has never been something i felt really, so down with the old in with the new!! i really like the unibody. take it any day over the old PB

raymondu999
Mar 24, 2009, 09:33 AM
IMO, classic design FTW!!! I prefer the old one... to me, it seemed more "alive" and with more "character..."

alphaod
Mar 24, 2009, 09:34 AM
The new unibody is a lot sturdier. I'm rough on my computers.

ViciousShadow21
Mar 24, 2009, 09:37 AM
how did you make that poll box?!

MarcBook
Mar 24, 2009, 09:43 AM
IMO, classic design FTW!!! I prefer the old one... to me, it seemed more "alive" and with more "character..."

Yeah, to me they seem more true 'Mac' in terms of look and character, but Apple has every right to change the styling of course. In the end it's Apple that defines the Mac.

The typical mentality is that black goes with PC, white plastic/aluminium silver goes with Apple Mac. Black glass definitely looks better than white glass, though, so it's for the best that Apple has adopted black elements to the new designs.

I do love the 17" unibody MacBook Pro with matte screen, though. It looks so similar to the classic design! :D

MarcBook
Mar 24, 2009, 09:45 AM
how did you make that poll box?!

When you're making a new post you can tick the option for a poll and choose the number of options near the bottom. Then when you click 'Submit New Thread' it will come up with a page for configuring the poll. ;)

ViciousShadow21
Mar 24, 2009, 09:48 AM
When you're making a new post you can tick the option for a poll and choose the number of options near the bottom. Then when you click 'Submit New Thread' it will come up with a page for configuring the poll. ;)

we should do that for matte v glossy.

MarcBook
Mar 24, 2009, 09:52 AM
we should do that for matte v glossy.

It's probably been done before, but it is quite an interesting topic. I generally prefer glossy, but 'glass glossy' (on the unibodies) is quite different. It's more shiny than the plastic gloss on the classic MacBook Pros like the one I've got. I think the plastic gloss is just right.

raymondu999
Mar 24, 2009, 10:36 AM
Yeah, to me they seem more true 'Mac' in terms of look and character, but Apple has every right to change the styling of course. In the end it's Apple that defines the Mac.

The typical mentality is that black goes with PC, white plastic/aluminium silver goes with Apple Mac. Black glass definitely looks better than white glass, though, so it's for the best that Apple has adopted black elements to the new designs.

I do love the 17" unibody MacBook Pro with matte screen, though. It looks so similar to the classic design! :D

Yeah. My next MBP will probably be a 17" Matte

Gerri Shin
Mar 24, 2009, 11:58 AM
the only thing I don;t like about the UB design is the chiclet keyboard, I much prefer the powerbook style keyboard, My hands just simply glide over that style keyboard. other than that I have no other qualms about them.

MagicWok
Mar 24, 2009, 12:02 PM
The previous Powerbook/Macbook Pro Alu design will always be a classic design standard. There's a good reason why practically nothing changed from the change to Powerbook to Macbook Pro branding, and also why there are on evolutionary changes to the Unibody designs.

Apple got it almost spot-on from a style perspective the first time round, and have found it hard to make anything remotely different till the Unibody's.

I've had my 15" G4 Powerbook up till about 3 weeks ago, when I finally moved to the 17" UMP. And side-by-side, the new UMP has taken everything right from the old designs and fixed the very few things wrong - which makes it the perfect 17" laptop design and product for me :)

shoppy
Mar 24, 2009, 12:24 PM
Unibody hands down, I just love the look.

darngooddesign
Mar 24, 2009, 02:47 PM
The only thing I still prefer from the OldBook Pro is the power button/speaker grill.

yaroldb
Mar 24, 2009, 05:38 PM
I came from a First Gen Macbook and love the keyboard. I was happy to see it on my new Macbook Pro. At first I had a problem with the Glossy screen. My Macbook was Glossy but not as glossy as the Unibody MBP. I have to say, after using it for almost a month, I have no problems with it. The screen is super bright and that kills most of the concerns I had. I love it.

thejadedmonkey
Mar 24, 2009, 05:46 PM
Definitely the old style. The plastic lines gave it character, the keyboard just looks better (IMO) and I don't like the black bezel and glass.

They can make it however they want, but when I need to impress, a mono-black or silver look is better then 2-tone, especially since the "Apple" status has worn off.

pimentoLoaf
Mar 24, 2009, 06:05 PM
Unibody: Built like a tank.

My 17" powerBook from 2003 seems flimsy by comparison, as if it's fragile, to be handled with too much care.

SFStateStudent
Mar 24, 2009, 06:36 PM
Matte over Glossy any day of the week 24/7....:cool::cool::cool:

mkrishnan
Mar 24, 2009, 06:39 PM
I have not owned either, but I was really impressed with the aesthetics of the unibody Macbooks and MBPs.

raymondu999
Mar 24, 2009, 11:10 PM
The only thing I still prefer from the OldBook Pro is the power button/speaker grill.

Ah yes!! I for one also felt that with the old one, it seemed that pushing the power button would make magic happen!! Sigh...

MarcBook
Mar 25, 2009, 12:34 PM
Ah yes!! I for one also felt that with the old one, it seemed that pushing the power button would make magic happen!! Sigh...

Yeah, the new power buttons are quite strange, I think. I'm not sure if I like how they're tucked right into the corner, but I guess it helps prevent people from pressing it followed quickly by Enter... :p
Quite possibly the most annoying thing my Windows friends have done in the past.