PDA

View Full Version : please check my site..

krossfyter
Apr 12, 2004, 04:39 AM
tell me if anything doesnt work or look right in your end. i just created it. i need to know if things work or dont work properly. i think on pcs or screens with low res... the buttons are hard to read. i think the pages load slow on dial up which is okay for me. let me know if you see anything else wrong. this is a simple site... no flash... basically static... its just my visual art portfolio.

www.jbernardo.com

HexMonkey
Apr 12, 2004, 05:12 AM
I just tried the main page (the one after the splash page) in all my browsers. It works fine in Safari 1.2, Firefox 0.8, IE 5.2.3, Mozilla 1.4, Netscape 7.1, Trailblazer 0.5 and OmniWeb 4.5. In Opera 6.0.2, the text in the text box isn't restricted to the box; there is no scroll bar and all the text is just drawn on the page. The site doesn't display properly at all in iCab 2.9.7, but very little does. ;)

I also tried validating (http://validator.w3.org/) the main page, but it had some errors, and no doctype was specified. If you can get it validated though, it should be much more consistent between browsers.

Overall it looks good, a bit small when viewed on large resolutions, but you can't please everyone. Perhaps you could center it to make it look a little better.

krossfyter
Apr 12, 2004, 06:46 AM
I just tried the main page (the one after the splash page) in all my browsers. It works fine in Safari 1.2, Firefox 0.8, IE 5.2.3, Mozilla 1.4, Netscape 7.1, Trailblazer 0.5 and OmniWeb 4.5. In Opera 6.0.2, the text in the text box isn't restricted to the box; there is no scroll bar and all the text is just drawn on the page. The site doesn't display properly at all in iCab 2.9.7, but very little does. ;)

I also tried validating (http://validator.w3.org/) the main page, but it had some errors, and no doctype was specified. If you can get it validated though, it should be much more consistent between browsers.

Overall it looks good, a bit small when viewed on large resolutions, but you can't please everyone. Perhaps you could center it to make it look a little better. Thank you HexMonkey. Some questions.... Whats "Validator" all about? Why is that important for me? I'm curious. How do I get it to be more consistent between browsers? Also... what can I do to center it? It's basically a photoshop image taken into fireworks... sliced then to dreamweaver. Would i have to convert it to tables? Not sure what its in right now.. dont think its layers since I didnt select any... not sure what it creates to fit into when fireworks exports it over.

thanks again.

HexMonkey
Apr 12, 2004, 07:05 AM
Validating a site is basically checking to see if all the code is compliant. Most sites on the internet are poorly written, and have a lot of malformed code. When this happens, browsers have to guess how to display the site, and often browsers will display the sites differently to other browsers in this situation. With compliant code however, less guessing is involved so the site will be more consistent between browsers.

Unfortunately for many people, they use programs to make websites for them. This is quicker and easier, but the programs tend to make malformed code. To get the code compliant takes a fair bit of skill and knowledge, so not everyone can do it easily.

In your case, it's probably more effort than it's worth to get it validated, but generally it's a good idea to do. If you want to try though, go to the validator (link in last post) and follow the instructions. It gives explanations for each error.

As for centering, I'm not sure on the exact code as I haven't done much web development for a while. There may be a feature in Dreamweaver do to so, but I haven't used it so don't know.

krossfyter
Apr 12, 2004, 03:45 PM
okay man... thanks for your expertise, knowledge and advice. I'll see what i can do from what you are telling me. much appreciation.