Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

qxe900

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 12, 2004
Ive got a G4 Quicksilver 867 - the first version, not the mirror door - it was working fine under 9.2, but ive done a clean install of 10.3, the installationwent fine - biut it will completely freeze after a few moments after startup....someone said that its the processor - i instantly thought it was the logic board - but he said that they were made before 10.3 and the processors were problemtatic and this was the issue - anyone have any recommendations of what i can do/fix it/get a new processor (these the guy also said were very scarce - id be happy to use a reliable non apple part as i know you can get processor upgrade things...)

please help!!!

qxe900@yahoo.co.uk

Horrortaxi

macrumors 68020
Jul 6, 2003
Los Angeles
Forget the processor. You're barking up the wrong tree.

Tell us more about your computer and your problem. How much RAM do you have? If you have installed more RAM, what brand is it? What extra stuff do you have plugged into your computer (PCI cards, USB/Firewire devices)? What exactly happens when it freezes?

qxe900

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 12, 2004
It was bought sceond hand - and the original superdrive had been changed for anoter brand - i do not suspect this is the problem as i disconnected this from the IDE cable - still hung.

I phone apple today on the off chance they may suggest something - obviously they came out with the ram suggestionalso as did my searches on the net a few weeks ago - is got about 800mb or so of ram - froma variety of sources...i will after wriyting this post put the 2 x 512mb of kingston value ram i have in my vaio in and see if that solves it - i took all the sticks out and popped in one at a time incase it was a clash and the same problem - Apple suggested that i do a re-install but choose archive - itried to explain that they install i have no has no apps and is completely clean - still i tried it by booting off the upgrade CD and it even got as far as choosing custome and hung - completely froze.

I have seen it freeze just after i turn it on when the little circle thing starts, and it sometimes stops on that.....other times it can work for a few mins, then stops. I had also seen once or twice the nasty power symbol saying retart - i think its called a kernal panic or somehting....i always thought it ,may be the logic board - ie mac simply work - and when they start playing up something serious is up?!?

Ill try 2 identical sticks of kingstone 512 pc133 and see what happen - watch this space.

Horrortaxi

macrumors 68020
Jul 6, 2003
Los Angeles
Simpler is better. If you have it, start with only the memory the computer shipped with. If you don't have it, then use 1 stick at a time. Also, make sure your RAM is correct for that computer. Some RAM might pysically fit but not really be right for the computer.

It worked fine in OS9? You're just now moving to OS X and having this problem?

You should also reset your PRAM and open firmware. That sometimes fixes odd hardware problems. hold command, option, p, r while booting. Let it chime 3 times. Then hold command, option, o, f while booting and when you get to the prompt type reset-nvram and hit enter, then type reset-all and hit enter. The computer will reboot. Good luck.

qxe900

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 12, 2004
:( done it - but it wont boot at all now - just keeps the apple logo on - wont even do the spinning circle thing....

qxe900

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 12, 2004
..i held down the alt/option key - ther were a few graphics - apparently here i can choose my boot drive - left it and it then booted itself - but when i go to disc utilities - it hangs....hmmmm

Horrortaxi

macrumors 68020
Jul 6, 2003
Los Angeles
I'm wondering now if maybe your hard drive is crapping out. That would certainly keep it from booting and make it hang when accessing programs. You'd get a lot of beach balls and probably the odd kernel panic. When you boot holding the option key, can you boot into OS 9? Can you boot from the installer CD?

qxe900

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 12, 2004
oddly enough i thought that...i tried reistalling the OS - and it hung right at the very last bit - tried again and it hung at the begining - so the HDD is the nest thing to try....and the fact that it boots off the os cd to get to the point where it intalls also say to me it a buggered os or rather buggered HDD...do you think if i borrowed a HDD from an old 450 graphite without a superdrive but running 10.3 and put it inpplace of my current quicksilver hdd it would boot from it - only ive not got access to a clean hdd...just access to drives in graphites.

Horrortaxi

macrumors 68020
Jul 6, 2003
Los Angeles
Yes, try it. A hard drive is a hard drive and if it's got a working OS on it then it should boot...that is if your drive is causing the problems. If not, at least you'll know.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.