PDA

View Full Version : Dave networking software and ibook security

new jersey mike
Mar 25, 2009, 07:31 AM
Just bought my son an ibook, my wife and I are still on 2 different windows systems. I have a product on my pc called zone alarm, it's a freeware firewall. When my son turns on his ibook it connects through out linksys switch to the web. All the pc's start to have the zone alarm software state that it block an incoming connection from a port on the switch. The dave software will continue to pole different ports on the switch in it's attempts to connect.

I learned this is the DAVE networking software on the ibook. My son does not need to connect to any office networks or other computers.

Question:
Does any one know if his pc needs this software to function at a basic "surfing" level ?

Does anyone know how to disable, uninstall or remove the software from the ibook ?

Or is there any other solution?

Then finally I am learning that MAC and the ibook seems to be secure because it is not attacked or targeted. Is the DAVE software also not exploited?

Thanks,
Mike

belvdr
Mar 25, 2009, 07:37 AM
DAVE is not needed for surfing.

I googled and found this:

http://macosx.com/tech-support/mac/uninstall-dave-networking/4255.html

in the middle of the page to uninstall.

Your best bet is to search for any exploits for that software. It's something I don't keep track of.

new jersey mike
Mar 26, 2009, 04:57 PM
Thank you for you advise belvdr