Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fab5freddy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 21, 2007
Heaven or Hell
I would like to get started with programming for the iPhone
and also later for Mac OS X.

I currently know HTML and have taken some classes in Java,
but in a pure windows environment.

What Languages should i start to learn now, to get going with
Iphone and Mac OS X programming ?

I guess Objective C ??

but is that too hard to start out with ??

thanks !!

haiggy

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2003
Ontario, Canada
I would like to get started with programming for the iPhone
and also later for Mac OS X.

I currently know HTML and have taken some classes in Java,
but in a pure windows environment.

What Languages should i start to learn now, to get going with
Iphone and Mac OS X programming ?

I guess Objective C ??

but is that too hard to start out with ??

thanks !!

Objective-C is just C with stuff built upon it. Some would say learning C first would be helpful, some would suggest diving straight into Objective-C. Since you have some prior programming experience and probably know the basics, I'd just start with Objective-C myself. Infact, that is what I am doing. Just find a beginning Objective-C book.

You can search for similar threads....... there are like two threads asking the same question on this first page alone......

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
Objective-C is just C with stuff built upon it. Some would say learning C first would be helpful, some would suggest diving straight into Objective-C. Since you have some prior programming experience and probably know the basics, I'd just start with Objective-C myself. Infact, that is what I am doing. Just find a beginning Objective-C book.

The only problem with that approach is that everything I have read about Objective-C glosses over pointers. The only way to get a good solid grasp of pointer concepts is to read books on C, pointers are still an integral part of Objective-C.

Also you rarely learn about some of the more powerful aspects of C when you just concentrate on Objective-C such as function pointers.

MrFusion

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2005
West-Europe
You can search for similar threads....... there are like two threads asking the same question on this first page alone......

there are like two threads asking the same question every day...
A question that has been answered dutifully every time. And there is a guide "How do I get started programming on the Mac (or iPhone)?" right above all the threads.

Apple is successful, the iPhone and app store are successful and the news is filled with apps making lots of money. It seems everyone wants to get in quickly and make some easy money, without even knowing how to program or forgetting that those successful apps make up maybe 1% of the total apps available. Some ask under the guise of going back to school, but mostly it's "Teach me how to program in a week, so that me too can get rich". This reminds me why I didn't went into CS in 1999.

Can we not have a sticky thread: "I don't know how to program, but I want to make lots of money on the app store. Teach me how." ?

I am probably too harsh here for a lot of people, but not for everyone I think.
(To the poster of this particular thread. Don't take it personally)

urgh, I should have stayed in bed today...

larswik

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2006
Just tossing my hat in to the ring here. My goals are the same to work on apps for the iPhone and OSX. I started with an Objective-C book but found that to be a difficult place to start for someone who had very basic to no programing skills. I put that book down last year about 25% through it. This year I did a search on good starter languages to teach yourself programing at home from a book. Many links pointed to Python as a good starter programing language. I got the book 1 month ago and I am already 1/2 way through it and it was much easier to start learning then Objective-C. When I finish with this book I'll pick up objective -c again and it should be easier to understand.

-Lars

autorelease

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2008
Achewood, CA
there are like two threads asking the same question every day...
A question that has been answered dutifully every time. And there is a guide "How do I get started programming on the Mac (or iPhone)?" right above all the threads.

Apple is successful, the iPhone and app store are successful and the news is filled with apps making lots of money. It seems everyone wants to get in quickly and make some easy money, without even knowing how to program or forgetting that those successful apps make up maybe 1% of the total apps available. Some ask under the guise of going back to school, but mostly it's "Teach me how to program in a week, so that me too can get rich". This reminds me why I didn't went into CS in 1999.

Can we not have a sticky thread: "I don't know how to program, but I want to make lots of money on the app store. Teach me how." ?

This is the best post I've read on this forum. I feel exactly the same way. My hat is off to you, sir.

Flowbee

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2002
Alameda, CA

Having more people interested in programming for the iPhone and Mac is a good thing. Not sure I understand the point of discouraging them.

People who are interested in making a "quick buck" will quickly realize that learning to program takes time and work. They will give up long before they finish their first programming book.

People who are inspired by the iPhone and Mac platforms should be encouraged to start learning.

For someone completely new to programming, I would recommend learning C, Objective-C, and Cocoa or Cocoa Touch, in that order. You don't have to become an expert in any of them to begin writing simple programs for the Mac or iPhone. You just need to understand the basics. However, writing more complicated code (that actually works) will take time and practice. Lots of it.

MrFusion

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2005
West-Europe
People who are inspired by the iPhone and Mac platforms should be encouraged to start learning.

We should. I agree. I just don't understand why the same "how to start" question is asked over and over a few times a week. Especially because right on top of the thread overview there are links to how to start programming for Mac or iPhone. This is not about understanding something, not matter how basic. It's about searching for information yourself or just scanning the thread titles.

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
Which is probably the most important skill a programmer should have.
I wouldn't say is is the most important, but it's definitely up there. And I will add it seems to be a skill that is frighteningly lacking nowadays, based on the number of questions that could easily be answered by simply reading the documentation.

RobRiley

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2009
London
I'm fairly new to this myself. I've got some background in php, html, javascript and shell scripting and work as a SysAdmin and IT Consultant. I've sort of fallen into this as we want to develop some of our script-based apps into gui-based ones and I've chosen the Objective-C route (after a couple of pointless months working with Applescript studio). Here are some links I've found useful in addition to this forum:

http://cocoadevcentral.com/
http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Cocoa/index-date.html
http://www.cocoadev.com/

Also you can learn a lot from looking through the example apps that come with the developer tools.

Good luck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.