PDA

View Full Version : Hard drive showing wrong size on Airport network...

shuffle1
Apr 13, 2004, 03:40 AM
Hi gang,

I just bought a Mercury Elite Pro (200GB FW 800/400/USB 2.0-1.1), and I love it. I plugged it into my iMac DV 400 (I know, I'm really far behind), and backed everything up just fine. I then plugged it into my iBook's (Blueberry clamshell...stop snickering!) USB port and again, it worked great. However, when I plug it into the iMac and access it on the iBook using Airport, it says that only 1.9 GB is free, and not the actual 174 GB.

Does anyone know what I could have done wrong? Could it have something to do with the way I set it up for sharing? Thanks for any help on this.

shuffle1

Rincewind42
Apr 13, 2004, 07:08 AM
Hi gang,

I just bought a Mercury Elite Pro (200GB FW 800/400/USB 2.0-1.1), and I love it. I plugged it into my iMac DV 400 (I know, I'm really far behind), and backed everything up just fine. I then plugged it into my iBook's (Blueberry clamshell...stop snickering!) USB port and again, it worked great. However, when I plug it into the iMac and access it on the iBook using Airport, it says that only 1.9 GB is free, and not the actual 174 GB.

Does anyone know what I could have done wrong? Could it have something to do with the way I set it up for sharing? Thanks for any help on this.

What OS version are you using? If your using Mac OS 9 or possibly some older versions of Mac OS X then there is a limit in Apple Share as to how much free space it can report (and the maximum size file it can access). This will lead you any network-mounted volume with more than 2GB free always reporting 1.9GB free. However, if you drop something on the drive, it should still report 1.9GB free until there is less space free. You still won't be able to put a single file larger than 2GB on the driver over the network however (and may have trouble copying more than 2GB in any number of files at once as well).

shuffle1
Apr 13, 2004, 02:08 PM
What OS version are you using? If your using Mac OS 9 or possibly some older versions of Mac OS X then there is a limit in Apple Share as to how much free space it can report (and the maximum size file it can access). This will lead you any network-mounted volume with more than 2GB free always reporting 1.9GB free. However, if you drop something on the drive, it should still report 1.9GB free until there is less space free. You still won't be able to put a single file larger than 2GB on the driver over the network however (and may have trouble copying more than 2GB in any number of files at once as well).

Thanks so much for the info. I am, in fact, using 8.6 right now, so you hit the nail on the head. I didn't know about that limitation. I did try and move a folder larger than 1.9 GB over to the drive and it wouldn't let me. Now I know why. Thanks again, and take care.

shuffle1