Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nitz

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 23, 2003
Germany
I work for a small company in a rural community that has a mixed OS 9/OS X environment. We connect to the Internet using a Draytek router and DSL. We also own a second building across the street and would like to move some of our workers over there but also have them connected to our network. There would be about 4 or 5 total users in the second building.

Getting a second DSL connection in the other building and then setting up a VPN is not really a reliable solution for us. Having a second flatrate DSL connection would also be too expensive.

Although getting all the necessary permits and laying cable under the streets would be the most logical and reliable way to do it, it would also be quite expensive and an annoyance to our neighbors.

Would it be possible to do it wirelessly?

The building is about 50 meters away and there is a clear line of sight between the two. Unfortunately our router is at the other end of the main building in the basement next to the ISDN box and it can't really be anywhere else. Can I just connect nodes to the roofs of the two buildings and let it run somehow like that? What kind of hardware would that require? Would I have to have two separate subnets? Separate routers? An suggestions/opinions are appreciated.

Thanks,
Nitz

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.