PDA

View Full Version : Research: Pig Manure Can Become Crude Oil

eyelikeart
Apr 13, 2004, 08:28 AM
Well, this is good news. ;)

story here (http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20040413/ap_on_bi_ge/farm_scene_3)

JesseJames
Apr 13, 2004, 10:04 AM
Geez, it really is Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome time.

MongoTheGeek
Apr 13, 2004, 01:10 PM
Geez, it really is Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome time.

Close to what I said an hour before this thread (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=67516) opened an hour before

wdlove
Apr 13, 2004, 02:01 PM
This is great news eyelikeart. When this becomes cost effective, then pig farmers would collect the manure sooner. My grandparents lived on the opposite side of a pig farm. I also have seen stories on TV about pig farms, many complaints. If the wind was blowing the right correct, we got a good whiff. Pig manure is quit malodorous.

Awimoway
Apr 13, 2004, 02:13 PM
I think the operative word here is "crude."

MongoTheGeek
Apr 13, 2004, 11:15 PM
I think the operative word here is "crude." Ironically this might be sweet crude. ;)

stoid
Apr 14, 2004, 01:01 AM
What is our goddamn fascination with crude oil?! Why not spend research dollars to develop better hybrids that are much more fuel economic?

JamesDPS
Apr 14, 2004, 01:09 AM
What is our goddamn fascination with crude oil?! Why not spend research dollars to develop better hybrids that are much more fuel economic?

They are spending research dollars on better hybrids -- there are a whole bunch of new ones coming out this year (my personal fav. is the Lexus RX400h)... but hybrid autos make use of a crucial concept: when braking, the energy used to slow the car is converted into electricity.

The article was about using pig-turd derived oil to heat homes, etc. Clearly, they would only be bothering if they thought it would be more efficient than using electricity or gas, so this will be money saved AND good for the environment. And pig farms, too.

Of course, in India they have used similar technology for a long time -- they burn cow manure as a fuel. It's also used as a building material quite extensively (when properly mixed it's comparable to mortar). Doesn't smell too nice but good use of the available resources....

MongoTheGeek
Apr 14, 2004, 06:50 AM

Because even without gasoline we use a lot of oil for other things. There is heating and the ever popular plastics. There are also a number of oil fired power plants out there.

ThomasJefferson
Apr 14, 2004, 08:47 PM
Eastern North Carolina (pig farms 'r us), the next Saudi Arabia.
Well, come to think of it, they already call themselves the tar heals.

MrMacMan
Apr 15, 2004, 09:09 PM
You gotta be ****ting me.

I think the operative word here is "crude."
haha thats pretty good too.

I guess we can use anything as energy now can't we?

Okay... what I really want is that water suit in Dune, thats really hot.

michaelrjohnson
Apr 15, 2004, 11:08 PM
this IS a major breakthrough. i'm very excited about the implications of such a technology.