Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

i-Want-Apples

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 25, 2008
I have some ideas for some Apps and would like to develop some. However, I was just curious how difficult it is to develop the Apps. I'm not very experienced in coding and things like that, so I'm not sure if it is something I can do or not.

Also, do you have to have an iPhone in order to be able to develop? I will have the iPod Touch, not an iPhone.

Can you run the program on Windows, or just Macs? I'm getting a Mac, but not until I move in May.

Thanks!

jnic

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2008
Cambridge
I have some ideas for some Apps and would like to develop some. However, I was just curious how difficult it is to develop the Apps. I'm not very experienced in coding and things like that, so I'm not sure if it is something I can do or not.

One way to find out, it's free to try.

Also, do you have to have an iPhone in order to be able to develop? I will have the iPod Touch, not an iPhone.

The SDK comes with a simulator so you don't strictly even need a device. A touch will work fine though.

Can you run the program on Windows, or just Macs? I'm getting a Mac, but not until I move in May.

Mac only (it requires Xcode).

i-Want-Apples

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 25, 2008
One way to find out, it's free to try.

Thanks, I didn't know that. I just had a few minutes to look into it and I was only finding info on buying it.

The SDK comes with a simulator so you don't strictly even need a device. A touch will work fine though.

Great! I'd like an iPhone, but I'm stuck with Verizon, so it probably won't happen.

Mac only (it requires Xcode).

That's what I was thinking. I guess it isn't a big deal. I can just fine tune my idea and see if I can't learn more about developing in the mean time!

Thanks

NickFalk

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2004
...or even better:
Buy a book on Objective-C, download a free windows compiler (use google). This way you will be able to pick up the basic syntax of the programming-language you'll use and find out if this is something you want to do.

It's a lot of work and at times extremely frustrating. At other times it's the greatest thing in the world and you loose all sense of time when you're in the "zone". Good luck! :)

i-Want-Apples

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 25, 2008
...or even better:
Buy a book on Objective-C, download a free windows compiler (use google). This way you will be able to pick up the basic syntax of the programming-language you'll use and find out if this is something you want to do.

It's a lot of work and at times extremely frustrating. At other times it's the greatest thing in the world and you loose all sense of time when you're in the "zone". Good luck! :)

Thanks, I will look into getting a book. I have to be honest, I've always stayed away from programming thinking it is way beyond my capabilities, but I would really like to get into something like this. If it isn't too complicated, it is definitely something I would think could be a lot of fun.

Thanks again!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.