Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HiFiGuy528

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
Can someone post some screen shots of their Plex media? I couldn't find it on their site. Can the generic pictures in each media section be changed?

z291977

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2007
I do not have screen shots, but yes the pictures can be changed. I use photos I took. Everything is fully customizable. Plex is a great app after you figure it all out. The plex forums are very helpful setting everything up. just download the program and if you do not like it, delete it. Give it a chance though, it was the best thing I ever done for my TV. I sold my apple tv's, and am happy I did.

HiFiGuy528

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
I will download it when I get home. I want to change the background "black" so the artwork stands out like Front Row. I'll report back with my findings.

ethical

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2007
Hope these are the ones you were after. I havnt changed any of the backgrounds for the media sorts (movies, tv shows etc), i quite like the originals.

3387861167_74b1938e22.jpg

3387860079_e58aa998a1.jpg

sorry it took so long, two of them were too large to be attachments so i had to stick them onto flickr.

Attachments

• screen-capture-49.png
    screen-capture-49.png
    815.5 KB · Views: 172

HiFiGuy528

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
Looks pretty good. TV Shows & Movies picture looks okay. I saw on the web that the Music picture is a mixing board.

Can you use your artwork from the media instead?

ethical

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2007
Looks pretty good. Both the TV Show & Movies picture looks okay. I saw on the web that the Music picture is a mixing board.

Can you use your artwork from the media instead?

Actually, my Preferances page is a mixing board, Music is a guy with an electric guitar. Not sure about using your own artwork for that picture, you can certainly browse by artwork when inside the Music section.

I suggest you just download it, set it up quickly and see if you like it. Wont take long and it's free :)

In my opinion Plex is the best media app for OS X out there. It's constantly being updated, especially with all the new applications people are writing for it (March Madness Live game coverage and already played games playing inside Plex, so no need to launch the web based player. Every South Park episode available for US citizens (so not me unfortunately :( ) BBC iPlayer, all sorts)

ethical

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2007
yeah, i cant remember whether it says this in the Wiki or not, but to add your own artwork place the image in the same folder as the movie, and give it exactly the same name as the movie, and change the extension to .tbn
you will have to go to "Get Info" and write the new extension in there for it to actuall change, otherwise it will just be movie.tbn.jpg which wont work in plex.

if you add this artwork before you set your content then plex will use your images, but if you add the images after the movies are in plex, then you have to either delete it all from plex and re-scan, or go through each movie and go to "Info > Thumbnail" - then down the bottom will be one called "Local Thumb", and that is yours. press 'i' to bring up the movie info.

I use this website for my artwork, very nice HQ images for loads of movies and tv shows.

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
Yeah, I figured out the artwork, thanks guys. Glad I saved all my artwork in a folder before hand.
I found out how to manually edit the movie title. Is there anyway to edit other stuff like the description? Always can i remove the imdb rating, because it's kinda annoying.

ethical

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2007
Yeah, I figured out the artwork, thanks guys. Glad I saved all my artwork in a folder before hand.
I found out how to manually edit the movie title. Is there anyway to edit other stuff like the description? Always can i remove the imdb rating, because it's kinda annoying.

not sure about those last two im afraid. try searching the Plex Forums.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.