PDA

View Full Version : SlingPlayer Mobile for iPhone Submitted to App Store

Pages : 1 [2]

TheBearman
Apr 17, 2009, 07:36 AM
I put more stock in this from Sling Community (http://www.slingcommunity.com/blog/entry/35045/SlingPlayer-Mobile-for-iPhone-Still-Awaiting-Approval-Despite-Rumors/).

Goona
Apr 17, 2009, 07:54 AM
I put more stock in this from Sling Community (http://www.slingcommunity.com/blog/entry/35045/SlingPlayer-Mobile-for-iPhone-Still-Awaiting-Approval-Despite-Rumors/).
Ah the power of internet, where anybody can become a "tipster".

iSaga
Apr 17, 2009, 09:14 AM
My favorite part of that report was from the comments section, this posted by a sling community mod.

"Additionally, TUAW is reporting on their Twitter page that they received the same tip that the Boy Genius blog received but they opted not to run with it. Why? Well, they did some research and determined that the IP that sent the "tip" was an IP that belongs to the Bureau of Prisons and was allocated to a prison or other correctional facility in West Virginia. Given that information they felt it was bogus. Boy Genius was not so smart...."

richmonddjs
Apr 17, 2009, 01:27 PM
Yeah, good luck with that one! It's been a total pain for me to get it right. One day it works, the next it dose'nt.

I gave up on Orb months back!
Mine works well with sirius/xm

dmk1974
Apr 17, 2009, 03:05 PM

Orb used to work great for me (TV, XM, photos, etc). Now, after some of their updates, it locks my PC and nothing streams to my iPhone. $10 down the drain.

camerafan1967
Apr 17, 2009, 03:12 PM

But I got mine for TV not radio!

After updates it just started cr@pping out all the time.

txwildcat
Apr 20, 2009, 04:37 PM
Will the app get approved this week?

luv2hum
Apr 20, 2009, 04:40 PM
Will the app get approved this week?

probably not. anybody have any luck streaming the firefox tv add on from your iphone.

B2k1977
Apr 20, 2009, 07:12 PM
This is all speculation and a load of crap. You know nothing boygenius!

Duh! These "tech-savy" bloggers start this crap just to create drama. And look, it's working, all you ladies got your panties all in a bunch. I'd like to have sling on my iphone, but for the past year I haven't, and even when I used windows mobile I had it but never used it, so I guess in the end, I don't care either way. I hate to bust your bubbles, but being that I've used it before, on ATT for that matter, it ain't all that on 3G, so I think a lot of you will be dissapointed anyway. It may have been either approved and it's sitting in Apple's queue, or it was denied and Echostar/Sling is keeping quiet until the figure out how to tell the masses they can't deliver something they promised to Sling users, not to mention the outrage it will spark once the people who upgraded their hardware or are first time sling users who have bought their hardware and are waiting for their client software that will never surface. Honestly, I call vaporware.

All that being said, I'm certainly not going to sell my phone and move backwards just because of one application. Grow up people!

semlohde
Apr 20, 2009, 07:13 PM
Just another rambling thought - but I'd bet no one is going to say Sling is dead until ATT has flushed some more of their refurbished iPhones at $150 on-line. It's close to the new ones coming out, they want to flush the old ones, and they (whoever) bounces up and gives a big smack in the face to one of the better programs out there? We can buy a $49 Blackjack II and sling! They'll approve and sell a gazillion ifarts but make it something really interesting and it's drawn out and irritating. Not everyone has sling, not everyone will watch it at the same time, you can't watch it long if traveling cuz the battery will croak, AND you aren't going to be in a 3g area unless it's in a major market. Then most of us will be on WiFi anyway! It's like someone is looking at it that everyone will smoke the 3g network at the same time. Now perhaps if Israel was to smack Iran then everyone might tune to their FOX or CNN channels. If I've offended anyone there it's just that it's a hot news topic and I have no intention of angering anyone - I do apologize and respect your thoughts. Otherwise, I don't see any threat to the net, and do see great revenue to the APP store and Sling. Rambling done for the moment~ ed

B2k1977
Apr 20, 2009, 08:56 PM
Something I just thought of that seems very like Apple. Maybe they're going to hold it until after this 1 billion app download thing. Seems like a cool way to ring that in if you think about it. Imagine winning that prize package, then getting to download the new slingplayer app!

scirica
Apr 21, 2009, 10:28 AM
I contacted Sling again regarding the frustration over the time it is taking to get SPM for iPhone on the Apple Store and also on all the misinformation out there. I was impressed that I received a response in less than an hour from their PR team, however the answer was party line, telling me that they while they are in contact with Apple, there is no update and that anything else is just conjecture. He did add that the wait is tough for them too, and I'm sure that's the case.

I'm holding on by a thread...

Drumjim85
Apr 21, 2009, 10:31 AM
I contacted Sling again regarding the frustration over the time it is taking to get SPM for iPhone on the Apple Store and also on all the misinformation out there. I was impressed that I received a response in less than an hour from their PR team, however the answer was party line, telling me that they while they are in contact with Apple, there is no update and that anything else is just conjecture. He did add that the wait is tough for them too, and I'm sure that's the case.

I'm holding on by a thread...

I wonder if "being in contact" means they had to change something about the app. Usually the dev doesn't talk to apple unless there's something to fix.

brian4610
Apr 21, 2009, 04:12 PM
I wonder if "being in contact" means they had to change something about the app. Usually the dev doesn't talk to apple unless there's something to fix.

I think it's pretty obvious that they had to change something with the app. I'm not saying that the entire app will function differently than intended, but it's clear that this was not something that apple received and said "looks good!!"...

luv2hum
Apr 21, 2009, 04:17 PM
I think it's pretty obvious that they had to change something with the app. I'm not saying that the entire app will function differently than intended, but it's clear that this was not something that apple received and said "looks good!!"...

i have troble believeing that soooo mnay people have a slingbox, or are going to buy one when this comes out. there is a lot needed for a slingbox to work well, including a high speed connection at home and a good signal for tv. i think if apple thought there were so many people running to buy this, they would release it because it would mean a lot o money for them...approximately $10 per download...that being said, i am not sure why they are not releasing the app except to say that there is obviously something going on with apple wanting to stream thier own tv that they want to monopolize the feature...

hippo206
Apr 21, 2009, 04:45 PM
i have troble believeing that soooo mnay people have a slingbox, or are going to buy one when this comes out. there is a lot needed for a slingbox to work well, including a high speed connection at home and a good signal for tv. i think if apple thought there were so many people running to buy this, they would release it because it would mean a lot o money for them...approximately $10 per download...that being said, i am not sure why they are not releasing the app except to say that there is obviously something going on with apple wanting to stream thier own tv that they want to monopolize the feature...

If that is true then I hope they release that device soon....

fishkorp
Apr 21, 2009, 06:46 PM
People need to calm down. Similar apps have had approx 6 weeks of review time (I think that's what Orb said it took?) I said it earlier (not sure if it's this thread or one of the others) that I submitted an app before Sling announced they submitted theirs. All mine did was stream audio, not video. I just heard back on it last week. If it took them that long for a simple, single source audio streamer, you can guarantee it takes a lot longer to review something as complex as Sling. Just because it wasn't approved in a week doesn't mean it was rejected or something needs to change People are just impatient and assuming the worst. However Apple is hit and miss when it comes to the data over cellular issue, it depends on the reviewer(s) I think. There's no real pattern to how they determine if it's too taxing on the network. The actual wording is "Must not in Apple's reasonable judgment excessively use or unduly burden network capacity or bandwidth." So it's a matter of what they define as "reasonable judgment" that day. The app will be here and I'd be shocked if it was approved or rejected in under a month.

fishkorp
Apr 21, 2009, 06:47 PM
that being said, i am not sure why they are not releasing the app except to say that there is obviously something going on with apple wanting to stream thier own tv that they want to monopolize the feature...

If that were the case they'd have to pull Orb since it does the same thing.

luv2hum
Apr 22, 2009, 10:17 AM
If that were the case they'd have to pull Orb since it does the same thing.

i suppose that's right, although i am not familiar with orb, but the main difference is that orb requires a computer to always be on and have a tv tuner right? sling can work on any tv, and it could be that more people would use orb than sling, which in that case i wonder why they wouldnt rush to get their app out, so they can make more moolah..

fpnc
Apr 24, 2009, 06:02 PM
Well, one month and counting since the SlingPlayer was submitted to the App Store and the score is:

SlingPlayer - 0
Baby Shaker - 1

I guess I can accept a little more "delay" on the SlingPlayer, but it is obvious with the recent Baby Shaker incident that something is wrong with the App Store acceptance process.

scirica
Apr 24, 2009, 07:22 PM
Well, one month and counting since the SlingPlayer was submitted to the App Store and the score is:

SlingPlayer - 0
Baby Shaker - 1

I guess I can accept a little more "delay" on the SlingPlayer, but it is obvious with the recent Baby Shaker incident that something is wrong with the App Store acceptance process.

Longest month I can remember in a looooong time :mad:

dmk1974
Apr 24, 2009, 07:24 PM
Longest month I can remember in a looooong time :mad:

I went and bought a SOLO to replace my trusty AV a couple weeks back in anticipation of this iPhone app. What a waste of $140. I may return it since there are no official truthful updates from Sling and who knows when it will really be released. Pretty disappointed at the moment.

iPhoneVic
Apr 24, 2009, 08:22 PM
Apple should release the Sling APP to take the heat off of them for the Baby Shaker App....

semlohde
Apr 24, 2009, 08:42 PM
YEP - ifart and baby shaker ride right through. it tells me something about the apple approving folks. I also bought the new Solo to upgrade my old Slingbox - that works perfectly for everything BUT the iPhone. I'm miffed over my stupidity thinking Sling had a chance with apple/att and the Bold is looking just right - after just getting my iPhone screen replaced! I left apple after the IIE, the iPhone is really fine, but apple - you guys are nuts! So you sold the world a billion ifarts and baby shakers - nice touch. You really have a brilliant following! How about FLASH for the iphone. ramble ramble ramble~~~

CBraun53
Apr 25, 2009, 04:10 PM
I doubt it means anything but in the best buy ads I got in the mail this week, the Slingbox Solo description says "Now watch TV on your laptop or iPhone."

richmonddjs
Apr 25, 2009, 10:32 PM
yeah, a jailbroken one... which is very tempting at this point if sling is denied and or it's wifi only.

Goona
Apr 26, 2009, 07:20 AM
These guys should have waited until they knew the date it would be approved before announcing this like other companies do.

kdarling
Apr 26, 2009, 10:40 AM
These guys should have waited until they knew the date it would be approved before announcing this like other companies do.

It points out that Apple doesn't have intimate relationships with top companies.

Other companies would've been involved in mutual testing with Sling, and they could've announced it together... or Sling would've known not to even work on it, if there's no plan to allow it.

Lara F
Apr 26, 2009, 11:20 AM

Sling already had a reputation for dragging their feet on new products. I'd rather know it's been done and submitted than have no idea which side's even responsible for the hold up.

Waiting not-so-patiently, sigh.

Goona
Apr 26, 2009, 12:46 PM
It points out that Apple doesn't have intimate relationships with top companies.

Other companies would've been involved in mutual testing with Sling, and they could've announced it together... or Sling would've known not to even work on it, if there's no plan to allow it.

These guys just said they are in communication with Apple and Sling is known for dragging their feet with releases. Look how long it took them to release the Blackberry version. They should have done what Quickoffice did, make sure the App is approved first before announcing a date, so as not to cause all this hearsay and whatnot.

Frizzle Fry
Apr 26, 2009, 03:39 PM
I doubt it means anything but in the best buy ads I got in the mail this week, the Slingbox Solo description says "Now watch TV on your laptop or iPhone."

Saw this for myself in the Best Buy flyer. Maybe they know something we don't, or maybe they were misinformed. Hopefully it's the former.

semlohde
Apr 26, 2009, 07:49 PM
I finally gave up on apple, but am stuck with att for sling and I bought the BOLD last night. Got it home, added SLING in about 10 minutes - added the MAC to my router - poof, watching SLING on the BOLD within 30 minutes or so. Wasn't going to buy another apple this close to the new releases, and have lost interest in their ifart baby shaker programs riding through while they hem and haw over something wanted. BESTBUY has the BOLD for $199, far cry from the $349 a little while ago or the att "rebate" 45 days card and higher price. We have options, I'll get sling for the apple if it does come out and it's 3g as well as WiFi. Changing out my older SlingBox for the new address and all will be a hastle also, even though the darn new Solo I also just bought is sitting in it's FedEx box on my floor. Ya think BestBuy is going to pull those boxes saying watch tv on your iPhone on these SlingBoxes? Someone really thought this was a sure thing.

Goona
Apr 26, 2009, 09:26 PM
I finally gave up on apple, but am stuck with att for sling and I bought the BOLD last night. Got it home, added SLING in about 10 minutes - added the MAC to my router - poof, watching SLING on the BOLD within 30 minutes or so. Wasn't going to buy another apple this close to the new releases, and have lost interest in their ifart baby shaker programs riding through while they hem and haw over something wanted. BESTBUY has the BOLD for $199, far cry from the $349 a little while ago or the att "rebate" 45 days card and higher price. We have options, I'll get sling for the apple if it does come out and it's 3g as well as WiFi. Changing out my older SlingBox for the new address and all will be a hastle also, even though the darn new Solo I also just bought is sitting in it's FedEx box on my floor. Ya think BestBuy is going to pull those boxes saying watch tv on your iPhone on these SlingBoxes? Someone really thought this was a sure thing.
You know how long it took Blackberry users to get sling on their devices, ask them how long they had to wait.

chriszzz
Apr 26, 2009, 11:07 PM

Can you just say iPhone? Why do you keep saying "the apple"?

Drumjim85
Apr 26, 2009, 11:32 PM

and why didn't he say "the rim"

scirica
Apr 27, 2009, 10:59 AM
and why didn't he say "the rim"

Touche!

dmk1974
Apr 28, 2009, 12:47 PM
I'm so sick of waiting for this app for my 3G iPhone. Maybe I should just buy a cheap Blackjack 1 on ebay and pop in my iPhone SIM whenever I want to watch TV?

JCastro
Apr 29, 2009, 01:44 AM
Honestly, I have never heard some much whining before. I want the Slingplayer App too, but JEEZ!!!! :rolleyes:

semlohde
Apr 29, 2009, 06:54 AM
----------------

because to me it shows less respect. iphone 3g, iPhone 3G, the apple. the apple core, the apple app store approval process. Call it what you want as I see it. Everyone understands its an iphone app, they have nothing else and perhaps the apple is both touch and iphone3g. Their secrecy has earned them less respect, yep, even for one program. You've heard one ah S* takes away all atta boys, this is it for me. bbbooooooo, hhiiiiisssssssss to apple and att. Like I said before - load the program, set the settings to your Slingbox, start the program, select a channel, watch tv. Now if all that works - RELEASE the program. This is all for - the apple.

semlohde
Apr 29, 2009, 07:07 AM
Just read where beta 4 for OS 3.0 is out for developers. On a brighter thought, what if - Apple is wanting, requiring, suggesting that SlingMedia compile Sling for the iPhone 3G on this version. Perhaps to avoid headaches in an upgrade for both companies. There, proper CAPS, specific names, and a maybe happy thought for their delay. :D

fishkorp
Apr 29, 2009, 07:16 AM
----------------

because to me it shows less respect. iphone 3g, iPhone 3G, the apple. the apple core, the apple app store approval process. Call it what you want as I see it. Everyone understands its an iphone app, they have nothing else and perhaps the apple is both touch and iphone3g. Their secrecy has earned them less respect, yep, even for one program. You've heard one ah S* takes away all atta boys, this is it for me. bbbooooooo, hhiiiiisssssssss to apple and att. Like I said before - load the program, set the settings to your Slingbox, start the program, select a channel, watch tv. Now if all that works - RELEASE the program. This is all for - the apple.

You honestly think that's all there is to testing an app? I had an app get rejected. In the notes they provided the steps it took to make it crash. It was this 9 step process of tapping on ridiculous things in a ridiculous order that no normal person would ever do. Yet if you did it just as they described, it would crash to the Springboard. They wouldn't approve it until I fixed it. I'm glad you're not a software tester for a living. Everything would be crap.

fishkorp
Apr 29, 2009, 07:17 AM
Just read where beta 4 for OS 3.0 is out for developers. On a brighter thought, what if - Apple is wanting, requiring, suggesting that SlingMedia compile Sling for the iPhone 3G on this version. Perhaps to avoid headaches in an upgrade for both companies. There, proper CAPS, specific names, and a maybe happy thought for their delay. :D

If they compile on this version, it has to get resubmitted and the process starts all over again. So no, that's not the case. They can't compile and submit for a 3.0 target anyway, it has to be 2.x, and beta 3 didn't let you compile for 2.x targets (haven't checked beta 4 yet, all my current projects are 3.0 specific).

semlohde
Apr 30, 2009, 02:47 PM
fishkorp said " I'm glad you're not a software tester for a living. Everything would be crap. "
____

After some 28 years in a company with 4 Unisys mainframes I've seen programs/programmers come and go. I've enjoyed those tests at 2am and getting programmers in to patch it so it would get up by morning. Perhaps you're programs are the crap - I've done it and yes it takes some time. But this has been working on other phones for years. My BlackjackI, Fuze, and now Blackberry Bold are all Slinging perfectly - and they are not associated with apple. So back it down fish, this is an apple att delay and I've squandered $125 for a Sling Solo that I don't need as the older Slingbox works fine on my computers and OTHER phones. Now go work on your program and praise the app approval process to someone else. And while this link is for Sling, ORB works every time on my iPhone 3g.

pavvento
May 3, 2009, 12:41 AM
These guys just said they are in communication with Apple and Sling is known for dragging their feet with releases. Look how long it took them to release the Blackberry version. They should have done what Quickoffice did, make sure the App is approved first before announcing a date, so as not to cause all this hearsay and whatnot.

It could have been a PR move. As people have stated they've been slow to get things out. By announcing it's been submitted it takes the pressure off of them. They get to proudly say they have submitted an App and all the pressure goes to Apple for approval.

Part of me thinks they might be holding off until WWDC? Maybe this app, although made to work on the current phone and software, can really highlight improvements in 3.0 and the new iPhone and they want to have Sling on stage to show it off?

JCastro
May 3, 2009, 04:31 AM
Part of me thinks they might be holding off until WWDC? Maybe this app, although made to work on the current phone and software, can really highlight improvements in 3.0 and the new iPhone and they want to have Sling on stage to show it off?

I think you might be on to something. There has been history of Apple promoting Sling as something that is coming. I think that even Apple has an interest in getting this out.

Judging from how critical Apple has been historically on Quality Control they probably don't want to release it until it is perfect (or close to it anyway), and is something that can be released with a bang. Not to mention they (Sling and Apple) probably don't want to release something that they are going to have to immediately update due to a known OS update.

GutBomb
May 3, 2009, 02:44 PM
I think you might be on to something. There has been history of Apple promoting Sling as something that is coming. I think that even Apple has an interest in getting this out.

Judging from how critical Apple has been historically on Quality Control they probably don't want to release it until it is perfect (or close to it anyway), and is something that can be released with a bang. Not to mention they (Sling and Apple) probably don't want to release something that they are going to have to immediately update due to a known OS update.

You do realize what WWDC stands for right? (hint the D stands for developer). What interest whatsoever does Slingplayer mobile hold for development? All iphone announcements in the past have been OS and developer related, and there were several app demos of course, but all for apps that were coming soon, or already launched. Nothing specific for the event. I can't even remember a time that Apple themselves unveiled someone else's product.

There is no logic in holding on to the product if it is already ready for release just to announce it at WWDC.

pavvento
May 3, 2009, 03:20 PM
You do realize what WWDC stands for right? (hint the D stands for developer). What interest whatsoever does Slingplayer mobile hold for development? All iphone announcements in the past have been OS and developer related, and there were several app demos of course, but all for apps that were coming soon, or already launched. Nothing specific for the event. I can't even remember a time that Apple themselves unveiled someone else's product.

There is no logic in holding on to the product if it is already ready for release just to announce it at WWDC.

What better way to demonstrate new developer tools/potential than bringing up a developer??

I think we all know that apps have been late to the app store for a ton of different reasons, this could just be another.

JCastro
May 3, 2009, 05:50 PM
What better way to demonstrate new developer tools/potential than bringing up a developer??

I think we all know that apps have been late to the app store for a ton of different reasons, this could just be another.

Exactly! I am not saying that this is the reason. I am saying that it may be the reason. Either way, I do think that Apple does have some stake in SlingPlayer being released.

pavvento
May 4, 2009, 01:10 AM
Exactly! I am not saying that this is the reason. I am saying that it may be the reason. Either way, I do think that Apple does have some stake in SlingPlayer being released.

Totally. For all we know Sling, Apple, and AT&T might be working out a deal. I know this is out of left field, but what if AT&T agrees to let it work over Edge/3G, Apple has it standard (like YouTube etc.) and both entities get a cut out of new boxes sold?

Oh the possibilities.

thomahawk
May 4, 2009, 01:12 AM
its been a week or so.. how long does this process take?

im dying to start up slingplayer on my ipod touch!

fpnc
May 4, 2009, 03:25 AM
its been a week or so.. how long does this process take?
No, it's been over a month, not a "week or so."

In any case, I'd guess that if we don't see SlingPlayer in the App Store within the next two weeks then it means that something other than the standard acceptance process is in play.

If AT&T doesn't want SlingPlayer released then it is possible that Apple will wait as long as it can to either accept or deny the App or perhaps Apple is waiting until it has the agreement it wants from AT&T on the next generation iPhone.

Sadly (as others have suggested) this may be a bandwidth issue or perhaps a fear that SlingPlayer will compete with some future plans that AT&T may have for a mobile version of their U-verse TV service.

As for SlingPlayer currently being available on the BlackBerry and other 3G mobile phones, I suspect SlingPlayer will see more use on the iPhone than on all previous phones combined. In this case, it could represent a rather significant spike in bandwidth over the 3G networks. Add in Hulu (rumor) and things could crawl to a stop on AT&T's 3G network.

Yes, they could release a WiFi-only version, but that could represent a real embarrassment for both the iPhone and AT&T (so both may be thinking that for the time being "no news is good news"). Perhaps they want to wait until AT&T has upgraded the speed on their 3G networks -- which may happen in the major U.S. markets within the next several months.

ctucci
May 4, 2009, 01:33 PM
I don't see 3G being able to handle this at all.

I think orb does - why not sling.

semlohde
May 4, 2009, 01:50 PM
I KNOW ORB does use 3g, and WiFi and can be set to EDGE but I haven't tried it on that. I went ahead and bought the BOLD and loaded Sling to that - works perfectly on 3g, as did my old Blackjack1 and Fuze. And I didn't have to upgrade my Slingbox to play on any of these. So sad that I DID buy the upgrade to the Solo as it hasn't even been opened, still in it's FEDEX box. It's bad business as I see it - but no one cares as att is the only one out here even allowing Sling - or I believe they are. Like I said, I bought the BOLD and it plays Sling fine. Add that darn $30 a month for another data plan though. I use ORB for the iPhone, and like it about as good as Sling. I use Sling on computers for HULU and DirectTv - one big thing neither BOLD or iPhone allow is the new clips from a FLASH and that should keep everyone "outta da pool" for claiming true network experience. But the att/apple/sling problem has gotten old and festered.

str1f3
May 4, 2009, 04:26 PM
Did slingbox release their Pro-HD software for the mac yet?

sdpokey
May 4, 2009, 04:52 PM
I just thought of something that might be another issue. It's a stretch but bare with me here...

We all know that the iPhone battery is pretty bad. Having enough juice to watch an entire movie is a pipe dream right now. So, anyone who wants to Sling with their iPhone knows that this will be an issue. I, for one, don't care, as long as I can watch my SF Giants on my phone in San Diego.

So, if battery life is an issue, and the internet plan on an iPhone is a flat fee (at least that's the only plan that makes sense with any type of streaming), then AT&A might be wondering how they're going to make money on phone calls if customers' phones are dead. Plus, they already rollover minutes. Could they be checking their pricing model to adjust the flat fee for internet service?

The problem I see with that logic is people have a ton of other ways to run down their batteries without streaming video. So, who knows.

aok1975
May 4, 2009, 07:37 PM
So, if battery life is an issue, and the internet plan on an iPhone is a flat fee (at least that's the only plan that makes sense with any type of streaming), then AT&A might be wondering how they're going to make money on phone calls if customers' phones are dead.

If you dont use your minutes ATT is still getting paid. I dont think people will put off phone calls to watch a movie.

Resist
May 4, 2009, 07:56 PM
When the app is released, which Slingbox should I get and why? I have looked at the Slingbox site but can't figure out which one I need.

fpnc
May 4, 2009, 08:25 PM
When the app is released, which Slingbox should I get and why? I have looked at the Slingbox site but can't figure out which one I need.
The SlingBox Solo would be the cheapest and probably the best choice if you only want support for the iPhone. The other (more expensive) models just add more ins/out or offer HD streaming (but the latter won't be of much use on the iPhone unless you absolutely need streaming from an HD-exclusive source -- but in either case you won't be getting HD quality on the iPhone).

Be aware, however, that it is at least possible that we won't be seeing SlingPlayer on the iPhone for some time to come. I suppose there is even a very, very slight chance that it will never be available on the current generation iPhones.

Resist
May 4, 2009, 09:28 PM
But does the Slingbox see all my HD channels from my Tivo cable cards if I go with the Pro model?

GutBomb
May 4, 2009, 10:16 PM
But does the Slingbox see all my HD channels from my Tivo cable cards if I go with the Pro model?

I even have the solo, and as long as you've got component out, it can take in an HD source (720p or 1080i). If your cable outputs component, the solo can take the signal and stream it. It won't stream in HD, but it will stream the HD channels with the correct aspect ratio, and for the iphone screen the resoluton that is streamed will look great.

Resist
May 4, 2009, 11:52 PM
What is the benefit of the tuner with the Slingbox Pro HD? I don't see how it could see my Cable's upper HD channels. I am leaning towards this Slingbox as I could use it watch HD content on my computer, since the iPhone version may not be coming out.

seattle
May 5, 2009, 02:32 AM
What is the benefit of the tuner with the Slingbox Pro HD? I don't see how it could see my Cable's upper HD channels. I am leaning towards this Slingbox as I could use it watch HD content on my computer, since the iPhone version may not be coming out.

One of the main benefits of the added tuner is that you do not have to take control of the cable box or other device to watch remotely if someone is using them at the time. I did not care for the tuner since I almost always watch my DVR via my Slingbox.

Resist
May 5, 2009, 06:37 AM
But I almost certain the Slingbox tuner won't have my cable HD upper channels that my Tivo cable cards decode.

luv2hum
May 5, 2009, 11:18 AM
a lot of speculation but no answer.........when is this app coming out? who is holding it up? has it been denied and re submitted?
who has the answers...
thanks

Mr Fusion
May 5, 2009, 12:33 PM
Did slingbox release their Pro-HD software for the mac yet?
NO. That's reason #1 Sling is irritating me right now. Boy I need to start reading "Coming Soon" on the package as "Vaporware In Progress..." :mad:

I'm too lazy to join SlingCommunity to whine there, so I'll do it here...

"Dear Steve. SlingPlayer Mobile for iPhone got lost in your clusterf*ck approval process. Please find it and return it to the App Store. Thanks."

:o

DEVILMAYCRY99
May 6, 2009, 06:54 AM
they seemed to keep they're first quarter promise!

luv2hum
May 6, 2009, 03:46 PM
they seemed to keep they're first quarter promise!

not really sure how you are basing that on any facts, aside from them saying its been submitted. the truth is it was submitted almost 8 weeks ago and it seems to me like it will come out with the official launch of 3.0

txwildcat
May 6, 2009, 04:04 PM
I am sure Sling did their testing on the APP before they ever sent it to Apple! So Apple Testing Approval Committee, the bottom line is--it either works or not!!

Come on, this is ridiculous!!

Either approve it or reject it. At least at that point, we know were you stand.

BTW, Sling works great on my new netbook with my ATT wireless card. Go figure!

jasond9263
May 7, 2009, 09:17 AM
Dish Network is having their yearly retailer show in Denver this week. I wonder if they may announce something tomorrow on it?

slide16
May 7, 2009, 02:32 PM
Where the hell is this app!

kdarling
May 7, 2009, 08:09 PM
I wonder if Apple wants a cut of the Slingbox hardware sales as well.

KidStallyn
May 7, 2009, 10:41 PM
Where the hell is this app!

It may be very soon. Do a search in iTunes for "Sling Media", and they are listed as a developer now. That's not been there before.

Drumjim85
May 7, 2009, 10:56 PM
It may be very soon. Do a search in iTunes for "Sling Media", and they are listed as a developer now. That's not been there before.

well that's a step in the right direction. When did you discover this?

JCastro
May 8, 2009, 07:13 AM

That is good news. I have been of the opinion that it is going to happen. It is just a matter of time and seeing what the limitations are or are not going to be. I hope there are none of course but I know that is not very realistic. Either way it is going to be awesome!

KidStallyn
May 8, 2009, 08:57 AM
well that's a step in the right direction. When did you discover this?

I've been looking out regularly to see if it gets in there...Always before, just the remote control app was there, which was a different vendor and not sling media. This is the first time I've seen them listed by developer.

bowler357
May 8, 2009, 04:05 PM
Saw this URL posted over at the Sling Media forum: http://clarkhoward.com/liveweb/shownotes/2009/05/08/15716/

Summary:

May 08, 2009 -- AT&T Wireless denies violating net neutrality with new TOS
Clark has been harshing on AT&T Wireless over a New York Times report that suggested recent changes to the company's terms of service (TOS) will block access to free TV sites like YouTube and Hulu.

Mark Siegel, Executive Director of Media Relations for AT&T Wireless, came on the show today to offer some clarification. Siegel says you can use your AT&T Wireless phone to go anywhere you want on the Internet; there are no restrictions.

There are, however, certain applications that clog bandwidth so they have been banned. These include Slingbox and other services that redirect a TV signal from its source to your wireless phone.

To summarize Siegel's position, this is a capacity issue, and it has nothing to do with AT&T Wireless' desire to violate net neutrality.

kmericle
May 8, 2009, 04:19 PM
Earlier this week I was at the Wireless Enterprise Symposium in Orlando, and I had a chance to meet with an AT&T rep. I asked him about Slingbox, and if AT&T was blocking their app. He told me that it looks like it will be blocked over 3G, but approved for WIFI. :mad: I asked him why apps like YouTube and Orb work, he stated that it has something to do with streaming of "live tv".
I also asked about AT&T's "unlimited data" plan - and he confirmed that it's capped at 5GB. Sorry if any of this is redundant info.

Kevin

FearNo1
May 8, 2009, 04:35 PM
I wonder would the hulu app become available since its not live TV? If at+t/apple ban the sling app, will it be released for jail broken iphones?

txwildcat
May 8, 2009, 05:31 PM
Just be sure you hang on to an old phone that operates on Windows Mobile and Sling Mobile works fine when you need it!!

Now how much sense does all this make whether it is an Iphone or any one elses that uses Windows Mobile or Blackberry (RIM) as operating systems????

Why are Iphones users being penalized?

KidStallyn
May 8, 2009, 05:41 PM
Earlier this week I was at the Wireless Enterprise Symposium in Orlando, and I had a chance to meet with an AT&T rep. I asked him about Slingbox, and if AT&T was blocking their app. He told me that it looks like it will be blocked over 3G, but approved for WIFI. :mad: I asked him why apps like YouTube and Orb work, he stated that it has something to do with streaming of "live tv".
I also asked about AT&T's "unlimited data" plan - and he confirmed that it's capped at 5GB. Sorry if any of this is redundant info.

Kevin

Orb does stream live tv over 3G....so your source has little to no credibility

kmericle
May 8, 2009, 06:50 PM

Don't really care what your opinion is on his credibility. I was just passing along what he told me.

Drumjim85
May 8, 2009, 07:11 PM
Why are Iphones users being penalized?
Cause ATT doesn't have any control over other app stores, but this deal with apple is starting (continuing?) to hurt us

When is a sales rep ever credible?

fpnc
May 8, 2009, 09:17 PM
Well, at least Sling updated their Mac OS X player just yesterday (v1.0.8). This is supposed to be what's new:

Improved video quality
Hybrid tuning support for the Slingbox PRO-HD
Online Slingbox registration added; plus users can store their Slingbox ID online for easy access
Improved Slingbox Setup Assistant: New setup and configuration screens are streamlined and easier to use
Users can rapidly cycle between Fullscreen (4:3), Widescreen (16:9), Letterbox, Windowbox, Pillarbox modes
Show / Hide player controls with one-click toggle

mrklaw
May 9, 2009, 03:07 AM
Well, at least Sling updated their Mac OS X player just yesterday (v1.0.8). This is supposed to be what's new:

Improved video quality
Hybrid tuning support for the Slingbox PRO-HD
Online Slingbox registration added; plus users can store their Slingbox ID online for easy access
Improved Slingbox Setup Assistant: New setup and configuration screens are streamlined and easier to use
Users can rapidly cycle between Fullscreen (4:3), Widescreen (16:9), Letterbox, Windowbox, Pillarbox modes
Show / Hide player controls with one-click toggle

cool. hopefully the online storage means the web player won't be far behind

semlohde
May 9, 2009, 08:02 PM
Well there it is kids. att admits their network sucks and is incapable of internet at it's fullest. Although all the other phones can use Sling, or ORB, or a Sirius derivitive, or YOUTUBE. Some can even FLASH news and other videos. Wouldn't it be sad if all the land base carriers came out and said our equipment is so bad we can only offer email and search of web sites, but we have full access to the internet, you just can't "really" use it.

HEY ATT - why don't you just sell out to someone, anyone, so they can advance beyond the telegraph mentality you so boldly suggest is a leader, more 3g coverage or some c r a p like that. You certainly charge enough, the technology isn't new by any means, phone makers make the "phone" as a computer with more memory, more cpu, better screens - so they can make a call that is dropped as it switches from edge to 3g? What was that article about att going to make the 3g network larger?

Well, if you won't allow streaming we might as well go to Verizon. Streaming with my Blackjack, and Fuze and Bold are the only reason I've stuck around. Might as well head on over to someone with better voice - since that's all you can offer!

Drumjim85
May 10, 2009, 02:49 PM
<SNIP>

you know ATT wont ever read this right?

Mr Fusion
May 10, 2009, 05:28 PM
Earlier this week I was at the Wireless Enterprise Symposium in Orlando, and I had a chance to meet with an AT&T rep. I asked him about Slingbox, and if AT&T was blocking their app. He told me that it looks like it will be blocked over 3G, but approved for WIFI. :mad:
... So install Cydia and VOiPover3G. ;)

"There's an app for that!" :apple:

It was Skype that pushed me over the edge [no pun intended.] Ma Bell can do a lot of things, but don't tell me how to use my data plan. :cool:

JCastro
May 10, 2009, 06:24 PM
Well there it is kids. att admits their network sucks and is incapable of internet at it's fullest. Although all the other phones can use Sling, or ORB, or a Sirius derivitive, or YOUTUBE. Some can even FLASH news and other videos. Wouldn't it be sad if all the land base carriers came out and said our equipment is so bad we can only offer email and search of web sites, but we have full access to the internet, you just can't "really" use it.

HEY ATT - why don't you just sell out to someone, anyone, so they can advance beyond the telegraph mentality you so boldly suggest is a leader, more 3g coverage or some c r a p like that. You certainly charge enough, the technology isn't new by any means, phone makers make the "phone" as a computer with more memory, more cpu, better screens - so they can make a call that is dropped as it switches from edge to 3g? What was that article about att going to make the 3g network larger?

Well, if you won't allow streaming we might as well go to Verizon. Streaming with my Blackjack, and Fuze and Bold are the only reason I've stuck around. Might as well head on over to someone with better voice - since that's all you can offer!

Stop your whining and go already! If it is that bad why are you still here? Bye, bye now.

ROBARMY
May 11, 2009, 09:52 AM
After Sling Media signed contract with Apple they can't put it out on Cydia. The Contract has already been signed I thought and especially if it's wifi only for now in the app store. But I guess we don't know anything until apple or sling lets everyone know what's going on. I do know that AT&T has NO say as to what goes into the APP store. That is one reason why Verizon told Apple no before they decided to go with AT&T.... Apple wanted full control over the iPhone including distribution of anything that goes on the phone.

camerafan1967
May 11, 2009, 10:12 AM
I for one will be switching mobile carriers!

AT&T, you have been warned!:mad:

B2k1977
May 11, 2009, 02:15 PM
You know, I'm not even sure who to be mad at for all this involving the slingplayer for iphone. Do we blame AT&T and their network? You could. Do we blame Sling? I say not really, even though legacy sling hardware owners are forced to upgrade. But that's a seperate issue. Or do we dare blame Apple for their bureaucratic approval process? I think Apple should loosen up a bit but really no one is at fault per se. I'm pretty much at a point where I was excited about the slingplayer but now it doesn't even matter. I can't tell you when the last time I even used my slingbox was. I never used it via mobile when I had a windows mobile phone. Ocasionally I use it at the office via web at sling.com. I can't see how my usage is going to change much on the iphone. Besides, 3G data speeds are horrible so I can't see it being that enjoyable. If it's wi-fi only, it's really a waste. I won't spend a dime unless it supports 3G.

PittAir
May 11, 2009, 02:37 PM
ATT is foolish. I have an iphone, which I love. However, I also have a rev A MBA with a Sprint EVDO USB card which works just fine to watch my Slingboxes.

If Apple comes out with a netbook, I'll simply buy it and watch my Sling on it--with another carrier. ATT, kiss my you know what.

In terms of this app, maybe part of the delay is seeing how it will work with all of the new Apple hardware rumored to be out soon, as well as with the 3.0 iPhone.

Imagine Slingbox and Apple TV as a single unit, if Apple bought Sling? It's worth the wait.

slide16
May 11, 2009, 03:51 PM
I loved my slingbox with my Tmobile Dash and that was on EDGE for petes sakes! It worked just fine. Yes, lower quality but it gets better over wifi on the Dash. I also use slingbox on my macbooks with verzion evdo and it works like magic. I went as far as buying a new slingbox so I can be ready for it on the iphone. That's how much I really like the product and teaming it up with the iphone would be the most awesome thing ever. Well, I'm just so tired of waiting. Waiting for 2 years now. I installed a tv card in my only pc in my house (4 other macs) on Orb Live app and I'm watching tv and recording like my slingbox used to do for my windows phone. And this is over 3g. What gives???

semlohde
May 11, 2009, 08:08 PM
drumjim85 says -you know ATT wont ever read this right?
-----
Of course I do. I was making conversation! the att network does suck - it's no secret and if you are standing up for them you obviously don't see the big picture. att even is now trying to split the voice to 2g and data to 3g to offload their network. And the BOLD and iPhone are not included in this new "fix" that att is going for. So what part of my input is wrong? They are having problems with the 3g, they are trying to off load it some, the old phones DO work and get Sling and aren't penalized as others are saying. And if att doesn't allow sling WHY NOT try another vendor since they too offer only surfing on their 3g? So if the problem is streaming live tv as Kevin wrote, why not let us watch Hulu and Netflix? They're not live! Just making observations and conversation, if it bugs ya - good.

slide16
May 11, 2009, 08:19 PM
WORD. U took the words right out of my mouth!

Oman
May 11, 2009, 08:49 PM
Here is an interesting article from Gizmodo that links to the WSJ.

http://gizmodo.com/5248871/wsj-unlimited-data-phone-plans-are-doomed-thanks-to-the-iphone

This article essentially speaks to what may be the problem with sling for the Iphone. iPhone users are responsible for more data usage than all other phones and this is without sling. Can you imagine how sling for the iPhone will cripple att network being that a great number of iPhone users will be getting a slingbox. If ATT network can not handle sling and the iPhone becomes available on Verizon when ATT contract expire.. I can see millions of defections.

verks
May 11, 2009, 10:27 PM

http://gizmodo.com/5248871/wsj-unlimited-data-phone-plans-are-doomed-thanks-to-the-iphone

This article essentially speaks to what may be the problem with sling for the Iphone. iPhone users are responsible for more data usage than all other phones and this is without sling. Can you imagine how sling for the iPhone will cripple att network being that a great number of iPhone users will be getting a slingbox. If ATT network can not handle sling and the iPhone becomes available on Verizon when ATT contract expire.. I can see millions of defections.

I'm just not too sure that iPhone users will be rushing out to by Slingbox's. I don't know anyone other than myself that owns one.(not that, that means anything) Sure it will hog bandwidth but not cripple it.

Hey, I love the Slingbox but I don't sit on my Bold for hours at a time watching it. The app on the phone is for the sports guy checking on the game or catching a reply while at a game or a commuter or few rich college kids. IMHO don't think it will be a burden on the network.

fpnc
May 11, 2009, 11:03 PM

Sounds like the WSJ may just be reading my posts. Last week I said:
I suspect SlingPlayer will see more use on the iPhone than on all previous phones combined. In this case, it could represent a rather significant spike in bandwidth over the 3G networks.
I went on to say that if we didn't see the SlingPlayer within the next two weeks then we could be certain that something was amiss. So, one more week and counting.

Oman
May 11, 2009, 11:05 PM
I'm just not too sure that iPhone users will be rushing out to by Slingbox's. I don't know anyone other than myself that owns one.(not that, that means anything) Sure it will hog bandwidth but not cripple it.

Hey, I love the Slingbox but I don't sit on my Bold for hours at a time watching it. The app on the phone is for the sports guy checking on the game or catching a reply while at a game or a commuter or few rich college kids. IMHO don't think it will be a burden on the network.

I hear you verks..... but everyone I know that has an iPhone including myself will be buying a slingbox if this app is approved. Most on this site will buy one as well, and imagine when the word get out. Believe me verks, ATT is scared to death....

scirica
May 12, 2009, 08:17 AM
Sounds like the WSJ may just be reading my posts.

Now that is funny :)

txwildcat
May 12, 2009, 10:01 AM
Maybe ATT not only has to worries about their wireless side, but their wired side.

The wired side of the business is like all the cable companies. They are pushing as much as the can through the bandwidth (TV, phone, and Internet).

brian4610
May 12, 2009, 12:14 PM
WIFI only....

http://www.engadget.com/2009/05/12/slingplayer-mobile-for-iphone-coming-shortly-29-99-no-3g-supp/

Drumjim85
May 12, 2009, 12:15 PM
WIFI only....

http://www.engadget.com/2009/05/12/slingplayer-mobile-for-iphone-coming-shortly-29-99-no-3g-supp/

also on the front page (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=700165)

B2k1977
May 12, 2009, 12:44 PM
WIFI only....

ah ha! Finally! Oh wait, it's wi-fi only. Nevermind, me no buy.

verks
May 12, 2009, 12:48 PM
ah ha! Finally! Oh wait, it's wi-fi only. Nevermind, me no buy.

Count me out. Wifi only is a waste of money. This is what I was afraid of.

Hopefully it will work on a jailbroken phone with that hack. That is the only way I'll buy.

camerafan1967
May 12, 2009, 01:02 PM
Why the heck would you need this over a wifi! If this is true, count me out!

The dumbest thing ive heard!

Stupid, stupid, stupid!

Time to switch carriers AT&T! I hope you read these threads!!

I'm starting a petition!

Please sign here....:mad:

slide16
May 12, 2009, 01:34 PM
Well guys, at least the App is launching today (hopefully). Although wifi only...

FearNo1
May 12, 2009, 01:39 PM
And there is a $30 fee for the app that can only be used via wifi...thats pretty lame. Hopefully there will be a hulu app. Thanx to all of the gimping the iphone is not so "smart" after all... :rolleyes:

camerafan1967
May 12, 2009, 01:42 PM
How do you jailbreak an iPhone?

verks
May 12, 2009, 10:51 PM
It's up in the US store.

b00st3d
May 12, 2009, 10:52 PM
It's up in the US store.

sure is and it works great!

dmk1974
May 12, 2009, 10:52 PM
weird, i dont see it.

I see it. Tempted, but only if someone confirms it will work with the jailbreak hack over 3G.

Drumjim85
May 12, 2009, 11:15 PM
Posted in the front page thread, but when you launch the app with out being on a wifi network it says "... only supports Wi-Fi at this time..."

hmm.

verks
May 13, 2009, 12:15 AM
I see it. Tempted, but only if someone confirms it will work with the jailbreak hack over 3G.

Oh yea, it works!!! I have an AV model and streaming on 3G with the hack. Go for it. I wasn't going to buy unless the hack worked and it does.

Resist
May 14, 2009, 02:10 AM
I am amazed at how many people paid $30 for this app when it can't be used on the 3G network. I refuse!

slide16
May 14, 2009, 09:30 AM
I am amazed at how many people paid $30 for this app when it can't be used on the 3G network. I refuse!

took me 10 mine to jailbreak. Installed the new patch. Bam! Sling over 3g! Same quality as wifi and in a moving car on the freeway. I usually always jailbreak anyways. Best thing is now skype app now works over 3g too!

Stangs55
May 14, 2009, 03:15 PM
Here's where it doesn't add up...

I have an HP EX485 Media Server at home. There is an iPhone app that was just recently approved that allows me to stream my VIDOES, music, and picture over 3g from my home server.

So...why is this allowed and my slingbox isn't?

Please...PLEASE, Master of the iPhone, open up the Verizon network to us!!!

Resist
May 15, 2009, 04:47 AM
took me 10 mine to jailbreak.But I don't want to jailbreak my iPhone for one app. AT&T has completely lost their mind on this and will lose my business once another carrier gets the iPhone.

krimco1
May 15, 2009, 07:57 AM
Is it just me or is Slingplayer Mobile for EVERY OTHER PHONE free? And ok if you want to start charging I can understand that. But seriously, from free to $29.99? That's nuts!

GutBomb
May 15, 2009, 08:04 AM
Is it just me or is Slingplayer Mobile for EVERY OTHER PHONE free? And ok if you want to start charging I can understand that. But seriously, from free to $29.99? That's nuts!

It's just you. Slingplayer is $29.99 for every phone.

socbrian
May 15, 2009, 09:48 AM
It's just you. Slingplayer is $29.99 for every phone.

Once you own slingplayer you can add it to any phone or touch you own or even your friends... just have to fiddle with the itunes settings :)

chriszzz
May 15, 2009, 10:33 AM

It's not free for every other phone. It costs $29.99.
http://www.slingmedia.com/go/spm-purchase

I really think people post here to try to sound stupid.

fishkorp
May 15, 2009, 10:34 AM

As was previously stated, Blackberry version = $29.99, Palm version = $29.99, Windows Mobile version = $29.99. Although the other versions have a 30 day trial: http://www.slingmedia.com/go/spm-purchase

*edit*
Someone else just posted the link. I'm too slow :p

pmcdn
May 15, 2009, 11:07 AM
Yeah, I was/am disappointed with this limitation.

My question to ATT is if they are "worried" about bandwidth over 3G, they shouldn't their heavily featured and promoted YOUTUBE also be a concern?

This is a royal turnoff with Apple/ATT.

Posted in the front page thread, but when you launch the app with out being on a wifi network it says "... only supports Wi-Fi at this time..."

hmm.

sdpokey
May 15, 2009, 12:19 PM
I agree. Wifi only is crap.

If AT&T has such an issue with their network, they should make it better. I totally understand that they're in the business of making money, but what better way to attract hard-to-come-by consumer dollars than having a better product than the other guy.

Also, there isn't a critical mass of Sling users anyway. Sure it's cool and all of us use it. But we're not as many as most might think. AND, we won't all be on the network at the same time. PLUS, our crappy battery life is a built-in countdown (very short with video, I might add) to "off." All of these factors work TOWARDS AT&T's advantage. Why the big brother routine? Evil empire indeed.

It leaves me to wonder what else could possibly be the issue, other than a company's ego having to exert control...

pmcdn
May 15, 2009, 12:28 PM
Excellent point. It makes me wonder if there is a "different" reason?? Not buying the 3G bandwidth explanation.

I agree. Wifi only is crap.

If AT&T has such an issue with their network, they should make it better. I totally understand that they're in the business of making money, but what better way to attract hard-to-come-by consumer dollars than having a better product than the other guy.

Also, there isn't a critical mass of Sling users anyway. Sure it's cool and all of us use it. But we're not as many as most might think. AND, we won't all be on the network at the same time. PLUS, our crappy battery life is a built-in (very short with video, I might add) countdown to "off." All of these factors work TOWARDS AT&T's advantage. Why the big brother routine? Evil empire indeed.

It leaves me to wonder what else could possibly be the issue, other than a company's ego having to exert control...

neilp4453
May 17, 2009, 11:11 PM
I was expecting this to happen, but actually hearing it pisses me off. Yet another app defiled by the lack of 3G support. I was ready to shell out for a slingbox too. Before I didn't care, but now I hope At&t loses exclusivity (as in loses it, not another provider gaining exclusivity) with this phone. This is what happens when a big deal phone comes out for only one carrier. They can ass rape (thats right, ass rape) the customers all they want.

I'm about to jailbreak.

pmcdn
May 19, 2009, 04:36 PM
Get Tricker ThreeG on your jail broken phone from Cydia. It allows your Slingplayer on Iphone work with 3G!

camerafan1967
May 20, 2009, 08:52 AM
Get Tricker ThreeG on your jail broken phone from Cydia. It allows your Slingplayer on Iphone work with 3G!

But the new 3.0 OS will be out on the iphone soon making jailbreaking pointless right now.:eek:

psywzrd
May 20, 2009, 09:56 AM
But the new 3.0 OS will be out on the iphone soon making jailbreaking pointless right now.:eek:

How do you figure 3.0 will make jailbreaking pointless? Just because 3.0 is adding some of the features currently only available on the jailbreak side, it doesn't mean that there will be no reason to jailbreak. For me, being able to use PDANet is reason enough to want to jailbreak. Plus there are many other features that will not be added in 3.0 that are available when you jailbreak. It all depends on what you need I guess - jailbreaking isn't for everyone.

camerafan1967
May 20, 2009, 11:03 AM
How do you figure 3.0 will make jailbreaking pointless? Just because 3.0 is adding some of the features currently only available on the jailbreak side, it doesn't mean that there will be no reason to jailbreak. For me, being able to use PDANet is reason enough to want to jailbreak. Plus there are many other features that will not be added in 3.0 that are available when you jailbreak. It all depends on what you need I guess - jailbreaking isn't for everyone.

I think my point was more, you might as well wait until the new OS comes out because you will have to jailbreak all over again with that version.

psywzrd
May 20, 2009, 11:31 AM
I think my point was more, you might as well wait until the new OS comes out because you will have to jailbreak all over again with that version.

Ah - that makes sense.

Magicman0922
Jun 8, 2009, 04:01 PM
Seems interesting enough to be worth buying... although not really sure what it is... i'll check it out

scirica
Jun 9, 2009, 09:00 PM

I agree...we all have different reasons for jailbreaking. Mine is primarily for Slingplayer over 3G and PDA Net, but I also like a 5 column springboard and dock. Lots of quick toggles are also appealing to me.

I'm now thinking that I won't upgrade to 3.0 or buy the 3G S until I know they are successfully broken and tested.

PhixionFilms
Jun 10, 2009, 01:25 AM
Sweet! Gettin this.

Rotara
Jun 14, 2009, 07:19 AM
Sorry, maybe somebody has already answered this, but why is it that SlingBox Mobile is available over 3G on Windows Mobile & Blackberry devices but not the iPhone? I understand that some carriers are concerned about bandwidth usage, but how does it make sense allowing one type of device and not the other? I'm tempted to buy the SlingBox app for my iPhone but the point of buying it is to use when you're away from the home (on the bus or train etc), it's no good if you need to be in range of a known & open WiFi network.

iMacDragon
Jun 14, 2009, 02:05 PM
Sorry, maybe somebody has already answered this, but why is it that SlingBox Mobile is available over 3G on Windows Mobile & Blackberry devices but not the iPhone? I understand that some carriers are concerned about bandwidth usage, but how does it make sense allowing one type of device and not the other? I'm tempted to buy the SlingBox app for my iPhone but the point of buying it is to use when you're away from the home (on the bus or train etc), it's no good if you need to be in range of a known & open WiFi network.

I'd say it comes downto, they can't do anything about it for other devices, as they don't have a central store where all purchases are made. They probably would like it not be available, but they can't do anything about it.

Rotara
Jun 14, 2009, 04:08 PM
I'd say it comes downto, they can't do anything about it for other devices, as they don't have a central store where all purchases are made. They probably would like it not be available, but they can't do anything about it.

Yup, I gathered that was the case. I wonder if the standard desktop version of SlingPlayer (on the Mac) will work over 3G via the 'Tethering' facility included in the iPhone OS 3.0?

jck1634
Jun 14, 2009, 04:20 PM
Slingplayer for Mac works fine on my mac connected to a 3G T-mobile Dongle. The reason the iPhone version doesn't work over 3G is down to AT&T not wanting people to rape their bandwidth. Ridiculous, especially as here in the UK, O2 made no such provision. If it wasn't for AT&T it would work over 3G absolutely fine.

I highly recommend the iPhone version if you have a good home broadband connection. My only gripe with it is that the Sling devs still haven't gotten the hang of aspect ratio. The picture is 4:3 as standard. there is a widescreen mode but it can't zoom in to take advantage of the iPhones screen size so you end up with a picture with black bars on all sides in letterbox mode and black bars on the left and right in 4:3 mode.

Hopefully there'll be an update which fixes this soon.

Rotara
Jun 14, 2009, 04:49 PM
I highly recommend the iPhone version if you have a good home broadband connection.

As it happens I do have a good home Broadband connection (20Meg), but if i'm at home i'd rather be watching the programme on my 43" Plasma TV, or failing that I'd use my MacBook Pro. The point of SlingPlayer is to watch it AWAY FROM HOME, that's its main selling point and the reason why many thousands bought it. While I completely accept it's not the fault of Sling Media I do ask why they have priced it so high? If they made the app free then they might sell a few more boxes.

jck1634
Jun 14, 2009, 05:00 PM
As it happens I do have a good home Broadband connection (20Meg), but if i'm at home i'd rather be watching the programme on my 43" Plasma TV, or failing that I'd use my MacBook Pro. The point of SlingPlayer is to watch it AWAY FROM HOME, that's its main selling point and the reason why many thousands bought it. While I completely accept it's not the fault of Sling Media I do ask why they have priced it so high? If they made the app free then they might sell a few more boxes.

You need a good home internet connection because your slingbox is connected to your router which uses your home connection to "SLING" your picture up your internet and down into your device via WiFi so you may watch it wherever you are.

I didn't say you need a good home internet connection that so you could watch it at home. Oh and in case you didn't know, if you ARE watching it at home on the same network your slingbox is connected to, it doesn't matter what connection you have, since its only using your home network and NOT your internet connection.

Rotara
Jun 14, 2009, 07:22 PM
You need a good home internet connection because your slingbox is connected to your router which uses your home connection to "SLING" your picture up your internet and down into your device via WiFi so you may watch it wherever you are.

I didn't say you need a good home internet connection that so you could watch it at home. Oh and in case you didn't know, if you ARE watching it at home on the same network your slingbox is connected to, it doesn't matter what connection you have, since its only using your home network and NOT your internet connection.

jck1634 Don't get me wrong, I wasn't having a pop at you, I'm still a bit peeved at waiting & waiting for this Sling Player iPhone app only to find the one handy feature not there. Yup, I know how the Sling Thing works, many folks forget it's the U/L (upload) speed of your home BB connection that's the important factor. Many ISPs offer great D/L speeds but U/L speeds are rarely anything fantastic.

I still think Sling should give away its software, I bet they'll sell a ton more set top boxes.:)

scirica
Jun 14, 2009, 11:20 PM
So far I'm very happy with the quality of Slingplayer Mobile on my iPhone over 3G. 10 minutes to jailbreak a phone is well worth it to have this capability and to use Slingplayer as it was meant to be used.

BTW...I'm not getting anywhere close to my 6gb "unlimited data" cap each month either.

Damn ATT

gregslc66
Jun 23, 2009, 12:06 PM
Has anyone gotten slingbox over 3G to work with the new 3GS & 3.0?

iPhoneVic
Jun 23, 2009, 01:20 PM

Over 3G...3GS is not JB'd yet.

scirica
Jun 23, 2009, 03:00 PM

Did the new jailbreak after upgrading my 3G to 3.0. Slinplayer over 3G works fine. As mentioned already, no JB for 3G S yet, but I'm going to pick one up this week anyway and pray the Dev Team does the 3G S jailbreak soon.

Roundel
Jan 9, 2010, 09:05 PM
I wanted to pass along a tidbit I just pickedup from Leo LaPorte's CES streaming broadcast at live.twit.tv

Listening to the live.twit.tv recorded CES broadcast and Leo LaPorte's conversation with Jay Tannenbaum of Sling was interesting. During a radio commercial and supposedly off-mike, they're heard talking about an upcoming meeting where the FCC will be "mediating" a meeting between AT&T and Sling over 3G access for the Sling app on the iPhone.

Jay is overheard saying Sling is going out to testify in front of the FCC regarding the issue of AT&T's unwillingness to grant iPhone apps like Sling's access to 3G. Jay also overheard saying "it's total bullsh-- and the 'fix is in' and they (Sling) are being locked out without a valid reason.

Go to live.twit.tv and listen to today's broadcast (at the 18:36 time index and they discuss this off-air and unknowingly on-air to the 22:30 time index) of their recorded CES shows to hear what they say.

This could get interesting because of the FCC's inquires about AT&T's decisions to limit a wide range of 3G access to different iPhone apps.

I wonder if you could get Jay Tannenbaum of Sling to comment on this as he's very clearly saying this is an upcoming FCC session and Sling, Apple and AT&T will be there.

Stay tuned!

ilkevinli
Jan 12, 2010, 08:22 AM
Very Interesting !!!!! Thanks for posting this.

I wanted to pass along a tidbit I just pickedup from Leo LaPorte's CES streaming broadcast at live.twit.tv

Listening to the live.twit.tv recorded CES broadcast and Leo LaPorte's conversation with Jay Tannenbaum of Sling was interesting. During a radio commercial and supposedly off-mike, they're heard talking about an upcoming meeting where the FCC will be "mediating" a meeting between AT&T and Sling over 3G access for the Sling app on the iPhone.

Jay is overheard saying Sling is going out to testify in front of the FCC regarding the issue of AT&T's unwillingness to grant iPhone apps like Sling's access to 3G. Jay also overheard saying "it's total bullsh-- and the 'fix is in' and they (Sling) are being locked out without a valid reason.

Go to live.twit.tv and listen to today's broadcast (at the 18:36 time index and they discuss this off-air and unknowingly on-air to the 22:30 time index) of their recorded CES shows to hear what they say.

This could get interesting because of the FCC's inquires about AT&T's decisions to limit a wide range of 3G access to different iPhone apps.

I wonder if you could get Jay Tannenbaum of Sling to comment on this as he's very clearly saying this is an upcoming FCC session and Sling, Apple and AT&T will be there.

Stay tuned!