PDA

View Full Version : SlingPlayer Mobile for iPhone Submitted to App Store

Pages : [1] 2

MacRumors
Mar 26, 2009, 04:25 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/03/26/slingplayer-mobile-for-iphone-submitted-to-app-store/)

Sling Media's SlingPlayer Mobile for iPhone (http://slingmedia.com/go/iphone) page has recently been updated to announce that the application has been submitted to the App Store and is awaiting approval.We're been working hard to bring the SlingPlayer Mobile experience to the iPhone and iPod Touch. We've submitted the first release of our application to the iPhone App Store. In the mean time, take a sneak peek!Sling Media's iPhone page also includes a video preview demonstrating the functionality of the upcoming application.

SlingPlayer Mobile for iPhone was demoed at Macworld (http://www.macrumors.com/2009/01/07/slingplayer-hd-mac-and-slingplayer-iphone-demoed/) in January, with Sling Media promising at the time that the application would be submitted to the App Store in March.

Article Link: SlingPlayer Mobile for iPhone Submitted to App Store (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/03/26/slingplayer-mobile-for-iphone-submitted-to-app-store/)

jfreak623
Mar 26, 2009, 04:31 PM
WOOOHOOO! Come on apple!!!

JW008
Mar 26, 2009, 04:45 PM
Who wants to take the over/under two weeks on this one?

Drumjim85
Mar 26, 2009, 04:46 PM
they seemed to keep they're first quarter promise!

diddy
Mar 26, 2009, 04:48 PM
I got the chance to get my hands on this at CES, and since then I've been dying to have it.

My Slingbox has been so lonely lately...

jacobspinney
Mar 26, 2009, 04:53 PM
Yeah right. I've been waiting for this for over 2 years. Apple's going to reject it no doubt and then the sling guys will either refuse to release it on cydia or take 20 years to do so.

Randman
Mar 26, 2009, 04:57 PM
Funny that the first thread on this

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=675422

was locked then this one created.

iMacoo7
Mar 26, 2009, 04:58 PM
This is pretty awesome. Might have allot to do with timing....
New iPhone with a tv tuner chip possibly?
At any rate this is good news!
Good stuff

outz
Mar 26, 2009, 05:01 PM
Funny that the first thread on this

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=675422

was locked then this one created.

The one here was created first according to the timestamp... but yeah, you would think the thread in the APP SECTION wouldn't be locked, since this is indeed an app.

Drumjim85
Mar 26, 2009, 05:05 PM
Yeah right. I've been waiting for this for over 2 years. Apple's going to reject it no doubt and then the sling guys will either refuse to release it on cydia or take 20 years to do so.

I can't see a company like this spending all this time and effort without talking to apple first.

mikes63737
Mar 26, 2009, 05:07 PM
I will buy a slingbox the day this app is released.

natallica
Mar 26, 2009, 05:13 PM
This and tethering are the only 2 things I miss about my Treo!

I'm wondering how much they're going to charge...

-- N

MarceePauff
Mar 26, 2009, 05:16 PM
My bet: $29.99

I mean, that's not what I'm betting -- that's what I think they'll charge. ;)

natallica
Mar 26, 2009, 05:20 PM

I think that's about what I paid for the Treo version, so that does make sense!

:D

Drumjim85
Mar 26, 2009, 05:24 PM

that's what all their mobile apps go for.

zelmo
Mar 26, 2009, 05:24 PM
Excellent news. Time to initiate the campaign for Slingbox PRO-HD with Teh Wife.:D

kdarling
Mar 26, 2009, 05:28 PM
Only downside...

There goes the 3G neighborhood !

Everyone and their brother will be Slinging.

(unless they only allow WiFi, or that's all you use)

Lara F
Mar 26, 2009, 05:30 PM
Yes!!! :D:D:D

One hurdle down, now on to Apple/AT&T. Please please please don't let me down, wifi-only's better than nothing but would be really disappointing.

elppa
Mar 26, 2009, 05:52 PM
We should find out in less than 7 working days if Apple are true to their word.

mikeinternet
Mar 26, 2009, 05:59 PM
I don't see 3G being able to handle this at all.

moonzilla
Mar 26, 2009, 06:09 PM
I don't see 3G being able to handle this at all.

ive used spm on my winmo device for a while now and it's watchable over 3g. granted, decent 3g connections on at&t are hard to come by here in the States, but it should work alright. wi-fi only would be really disappointing.

should apple reject this, im going to consider switching to a blackberry (or even a pre if sling announces a mobile client for it). ive waited for almost 2 years to get this on my iphone. dont let me down, Apple!

Prenvo
Mar 26, 2009, 06:18 PM
Here's hoping it's nothing like the awful-UI they demoed last time :(

moonzilla
Mar 26, 2009, 06:29 PM
Here's hoping it's nothing like the awful-UI they demoed last time :(

if you go to the link above, there's a "sneak peek." doesnt look like it has changed from what was demoed in january.

DHarrisDBS34
Mar 26, 2009, 06:31 PM
I might get a Slingbox if this goes through. The lack of channels on campus is killing me (there are only a few I'm missing that I need.) But this puts the cherry on top. I'd have to look at one after this.

Anyone know if I'll be able to return the Slingbox/App if it doesn't work well for me?

spaceballl
Mar 26, 2009, 06:36 PM
This is great news! Hopefully Sling eventually utilizes that new streaming video API that Apple demo'd two weeks ago. I also hope they don't rip us off! I heard this will cost $40...

bronksy
Mar 26, 2009, 06:38 PM
Please work on 3GPlease work on 3GPlease work on 3GPlease work on 3GPlease work on 3GPlease work on 3GPlease work on 3GPlease work on 3GPlease work on 3GPlease work on 3GPlease work on 3GPlease work on 3GPlease work on 3GPlease work on 3GPlease work on 3GPlease work on 3GPlease work on 3GPlease work on 3G

Tones2
Mar 26, 2009, 06:50 PM
Don't get TOO excited here. Many apps are taking MONTHS to get CONTACT approval for first time developers. The Live365 internet radio app has been waiting for 11 weeks so far and still nothing, even though the app ITSELF has been approved.

Tony

stratmancj
Mar 26, 2009, 07:00 PM
This is great news! Hopefully Sling eventually utilizes that new streaming video API that Apple demo'd two weeks ago. I also hope they don't rip us off! I heard this will cost $40...

where did you hear this? there has been almost no information about this app released, and the other versions of spm cost 29.99 (well worth it) and include a 30 day free trial

verks
Mar 26, 2009, 07:02 PM
I'm not holding my breath that it will be approved (See here (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=668658) but stranger things have happened.

I think Apple will force them to make it WIFI only. I myself don't think it will hurt the network, there are tons of people using slingbox on their phones now.

mikeinternet
Mar 26, 2009, 07:03 PM
why wouldn't apple allow this?

DHarrisDBS34
Mar 26, 2009, 07:06 PM
I think it'd kind of defeat the purpose in most cases if it was only on Wifi. Isn't the point of Slingbox to watch your TV where ever you are? Not just Wifi? I'm sure it'll work loads better on Wifi, but it should be at least available on 3G.

And I just noticed that there are embedded Hulu vidoes on sling.com. Could you possibly watch Hulu with this app?

tpk2002
Mar 26, 2009, 07:13 PM
Who wants to take the over/under two weeks on this one?

under

natallica
Mar 26, 2009, 07:20 PM
If it worked on Sprint's crappy EVDO network, it better work on AT&T!

:D

diddy
Mar 26, 2009, 07:36 PM
under

Yup. As far as app releases go, this one is pretty high profile (lots of coverage today, let alone the past few months). I will be surprised if we're still waiting 2 weeks from now.

hotnts
Mar 26, 2009, 07:46 PM
did anybody happen to notice the XM channel under the slingbox list of channels? maybe this is why they rejected the star player?

divabimbers
Mar 26, 2009, 07:54 PM
did anybody happen to notice the XM channel under the slingbox list of channels? maybe this is why they rejected the star player?

No, I don't think it's got anything to do with that. I think Star Player was rejected because Sirius/XM was releasing an app of their own. When that comes out is anybody's guess but at this point, I'm just thrilled to have Sling Player coming at last!

diddy
Mar 26, 2009, 07:57 PM

XM is available from some TV providers as part of a package. The stations show up as regular channels which, of course, Slingbox can sling.

StarPlayer was rejected (http://www.orbitcast.com/archives/nicemac-spills-the-beans-on-the-iphone-situation.html) due to an official Sirius|XM app (http://www.orbitcast.com/archives/sirius-xm-iphone-app-made-official.html).

scirica
Mar 26, 2009, 08:14 PM
The app of my dreams, the one I miss most since dumping my WM phone for the 3G, is coming at long last. I actually wrote Sling this morning looking for an update, but this will do just fine!

I also believe that Sling wasn't doing this in a vacuum and has been keeping Apple in the loop. No one spends this much R&D without some assurance of approval.

I know...stranger things have happened...

alchemistmuffin
Mar 26, 2009, 08:22 PM
My take on this app: IMMEDIATE REJECTION.

Why: It competes directly with iTunes (streaming TV shows = Lost revenue sale on iTunes)

Also, Sling Media will be banished from Apple's iPhone Dev Program for life. No Refunds.

Hopefully, it does not get rejected. If it does, write to Phil Schiller (not Steve Jobs, he's on long vacation somewhere) and explain why it was rejected.

srl7741
Mar 26, 2009, 08:34 PM
When or IF the app is approved I will be buying a SlingBox. This is great news, and I can't wait.

Drumjim85
Mar 26, 2009, 08:46 PM

Why: It competes directly with iTunes (streaming TV shows = Lost revenue sale on iTunes)

Also, Sling Media will be banished from Apple's iPhone Dev Program for life. No Refunds.

Hopefully, it does not get rejected. If it does, write to Phil Schiller (not Steve Jobs, he's on long vacation somewhere) and explain why it was rejected.

Well that's just stupid.
There's an osx version of this already out. Competition (which this isn't) is a good thing.
And when an app gets rejected they don't banish you to never develope again.
If this app gets rejected, it will be because of the network load it would bring.

Also, Jobs doesn't even read those emails. So his people would still respond to that address.

JCastro
Mar 26, 2009, 08:54 PM
SlingPlayer and fully functional GPS are the two things that I was hoping for when I first saw the iPhone v1. I can't wait for it to get released. I have been using the PC and Mac version of this for several years. It is an incredible product.

I am sure that it will be a WIFI only app. The NCAA (Basketball) has their streaming video apps out that will only work on WIFI. Audio can still be streamed though.

ROBARMY
Mar 26, 2009, 09:15 PM

Compete with iTunes? Banished? what heck is wrong with people? I have been using sling for over a year and a half of my Blackberry and so have the 30-35 people i work with on the AT&T network. NO ISSUES!!! It will be accepted just like ORB did and it works on 3G as well. Give it up people...
This is awesome and overdue...

kdarling
Mar 26, 2009, 09:16 PM
where did you hear this? there has been almost no information about this app released, and the other versions of spm cost 29.99 (well worth it) and include a 30 day free trial

True, but Sling sells the other versions directly from their own website.

If they have to give Apple 30%, yet wanted to still make the same profit, they'll need to charge another $9 or $10.

I hope not, and don't think they will, but it's one of the downsides of being locked into the App Store, as compared to selling for other phones.

richmonddjs
Mar 26, 2009, 09:17 PM
Only downside...

Apparently it's only going to be wifi.... on the demo when the time, battery display, cell bar signal screen come up the wifi symbol is on.... never 3g....... http://slingmedia.com/go/iphone

divabimbers
Mar 26, 2009, 09:20 PM
Apparently it's only going to be wifi.... on the demo when the time, battery display, cell bar signal screen come up the wifi symbol is on.... never 3g....... http://slingmedia.com/go/iphone

That was just a demo though so it may have changed in the final version. Guess now all we can do is wait and see.

Drumjim85
Mar 26, 2009, 09:21 PM

And when they demoed it at macworld. They said it would be edge, 3g, and wifi. I would take a statement over a little thing in a video.

divabimbers
Mar 26, 2009, 09:23 PM
And when they demoed it at macworld. They said it would be edge, 3g, and wifi. I would take a statement over a little thing in a video.

Edge too? That would be awesome for when I'm in Prescott! At any rate, I can't wait for this to come out. Keeping my fingers crossed that Apple approves it soon rather than putting it on the back burner.

DHarrisDBS34
Mar 26, 2009, 09:46 PM

So they demoed it over Wifi, that doesn't mean you can't use it in 3G or Edge...probably won't work as well but it'll still work.

craigverse
Mar 26, 2009, 10:22 PM
OMGOMGOMGOMG I'm so excited! ^_^

bossxii
Mar 27, 2009, 01:16 AM
ORB was approved and runs video over 3g or Wifi, I bet Slingmedia would throw a serious fit if their App was limited while their direct competition was not.

I'll take it either way, Wifi only just means I buy a Airport express and make my own little wifi hotspot at work. Or just have my MBP my wifi hotspot at work. Either way, I've been waiting for this for some time. My $29.99 is ready and waiting. Show me the App!

seattle
Mar 27, 2009, 01:25 AM
The sling app is one of the main reasons I bought my iPhone. I hope it comes out very soon. Does it also come out for the iPod touch?

mrklaw
Mar 27, 2009, 04:02 AM
will this stream from a PC too? The slingcatcher does, not sure if their slingplayer software does too.

I'll buy this for my slingbox on the go, but I also want to be able to stream video from my mini to my iphone, and there isn't a solution for that yet.

levitynyc
Mar 27, 2009, 06:49 AM
Like many others, I'll be buying a slingbox immediately when this is released.

J273
Mar 27, 2009, 08:40 AM
I can't see this getting rejected...I bet sling have been working with apple all along.

Sling have even setup a dedicated forum to the iphone app on their forum now.:)

jviphone
Mar 27, 2009, 09:04 AM
Not only will this app get accepted quickly..but it will be the number 1 selling app in a few weeks, also it will prob be around 20 bucks, apple will make a ton of profit and had to do nothing on getting this app to work.. this is a great business move by both apple and sling and will boost both sales..if you think of the profit apple will make on each sale it will make up for lost revenue from movies, which will also be bought because some people cant afford a 150 dollar Slingbox

MarceePauff
Mar 27, 2009, 09:20 AM
CBS' "Tv.com" app was approved. Same concept. SlingPlayer should be approved too.

boss1
Mar 27, 2009, 09:22 AM
There isn't a doubt in my mind that it will get approved based on what we know. There are already streaming video apps in the app store, although most if not all wifi only?

2 scenarios:

1. This app will go on sale very soon and be a number 1 app with a 5 star rating if: Apple and or At&t doesn't reject the 3G/edge portion of it.

2. This app will go on sale a month after it's been rejected for and re submitted as a wifi only app. It will be a number 1 app for a shorter period of time with 3 star rating. most of the low ratings will be from people that are pissed that Sling advertised 3G and now it's wifi only.

I bought A sling box the day this app was announced to be in the making.

fixyourthinking
Mar 27, 2009, 09:34 AM
I can't see a company like this spending all this time and effort without talking to apple first.

They had a version BEFORE the App Store using jailbreaking for the app.

I think there will be some concern over SLINGBox - even if it is perfectly legal ... being on the iPhone it will get a second look from MPAA and RIAA and Media companies.

To me ... this will one of the killer apps for the iPhone if touted right and I won't be surprised if Apple doesn't one day (soon) release this functionality for the Apple TV.

There isn't a doubt in my mind that it will get approved based on what we know. There are already streaming video apps in the app store, although most if not all wifi only?

2 scenarios:

1. This app will go on sale very soon and be a number 1 app with a 5 star rating if: Apple and or At&t doesn't reject the 3G/edge portion of it.

2. This app will go on sale a month after it's been rejected for and re submitted as a wifi only app. It will be a number 1 app for a shorter period of time with 3 star rating. most of the low ratings will be from people that are pissed that Sling advertised 3G and now it's wifi only.

I bought A sling box the day this app was announced to be in the making.

I see this exact scenario - most likely the second scenario.

KidStallyn
Mar 27, 2009, 09:40 AM
Only downside...

Well.....Orb is allowed to to video over 3G.....I don't know why Sling would only be restricted to Wi-Fi......

boss1
Mar 27, 2009, 09:46 AM
I wish Sling would be more open regarding this matter, without breaking any rules Apple has in place regarding development of course.

Sling could at least state that this App was submitted to Apple as a "3G/Wifi/Edge Version and we are working with Apple in getting this version approved" This kind of statement would at least put the pressure on Apple AT&T to allow the app in the store as is.

Or if this App has been submitted as a wifi app only at least be up front about it Sling. Don't get consumers all worked up for a big let down.

This post is has been my somewhat complex attempt at trying to get Sling to answer the simple question many are wondering. Has this bee submitted as 3G or Wifi only?

scirica
Mar 27, 2009, 10:13 AM
They had a version BEFORE the App Store using jailbreaking for the app.

I think there will be some concern over SLINGBox - even if it is perfectly legal ... being on the iPhone it will get a second look from MPAA and RIAA and Media companies.

Did Slingplayer get a "first look" from the MPAA and RIAA? I don't see how watching my subscription to HBO on my phone is any different from watching it on one of my 4 tv's at home? It's just another viewing device for content I legally acquire via subscription. Please explain??

kasei
Mar 27, 2009, 11:20 AM
My Slingbox is primed and ready to go. I wonder how much will it cost?

DHarrisDBS34
Mar 27, 2009, 12:22 PM
Apple would make tons of money off of this. Not only do they make the money just from selling the app, but they can use it as a selling point for iPhones. It's going to be the same thing with things like ESPN. If you tell people you can get Sling, ESPN, or even SiriusXM right on your phone with a dedicated app for this handset, you're going to sell more units. It'd be so dumb if Apple rejected this.

jeffg1
Mar 27, 2009, 12:38 PM
I hope the app is available to Canadian users as well

helpinghand
Mar 27, 2009, 01:06 PM
Look for a round of new apps to be posted on the 30th.

MarceePauff
Mar 27, 2009, 01:24 PM

What makes you say that?

PoitNarf
Mar 27, 2009, 01:51 PM
Sling have even setup a dedicated forum to the iphone app on their forum now.:)

? SlingMedia has no forums on their website. Perhaps you're referring to SlingCommunity? SlingCommunity is not affiliated with SlingMedia.

ROBARMY
Mar 27, 2009, 02:25 PM
? SlingMedia has no forums on their website. Perhaps you're referring to SlingCommunity? SlingCommunity is not affiliated with SlingMedia.

It's still a forum thats been up for years I believe. Not a bad one either. Does it matter who owns? Doesn't matter to me as long as it has current updates.:) I use it all the time... slingmedia.com even points it's users to it
http://support.slingmedia.com/go/slingbox

PoitNarf
Mar 27, 2009, 02:46 PM
It's still a forum thats been up for years I believe. Not a bad one either. Does it matter who owns?

I'm just clearing it up because the poster I replied to seemed to incorrectly indicate that SlingMedia ran SlingCommunity.

ROBARMY
Mar 27, 2009, 03:04 PM
I'm just clearing it up because the poster I replied to seemed to incorrectly indicate that SlingMedia ran SlingCommunity.

Ya, I used to think that as well because it's tied into the sling website... LOL:o
I keep checking back every 20 minutes to see if they have an update about it being approved... I have no life...

stratmancj
Mar 27, 2009, 06:23 PM

who gives a crap?

Kenal0
Mar 27, 2009, 08:25 PM
Why would they restrict it to wifi only if it works on the Blackberry ATT network with 3G?

Kenal0

kdarling
Mar 27, 2009, 10:50 PM
ORB was approved and runs video over 3g or Wifi, I bet Slingmedia would throw a serious fit if their App was limited while their direct competition was not.

Not quite direct competition. You have to buy a tuner from Sling. Not so with Orb.

I'll take it either way,

Although I started with using Sling around the house (admit it, one reason for using it is to watch TV in the bathroom)... I now find I use it more away from home over 3G. But I agree, I'll take whatever they give.

What's interesting is that the ATT contract still appears to prohibit Sling:

"This means, by way of example only, that checking email, surfing the Internet, downloading legally acquired songs, and/or visiting corporate intranets is permitted, but downloading movies using P2P file sharing services, redirecting television signals for viewing on Personal Computers, web broadcasting, and/or for the operation of servers, telemetry devices and/or Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition devices is prohibited."

I suppose you could argue that the iPhone isn't a Personal Computer, and thus is not included in the prohibition.

boss1
Mar 27, 2009, 10:59 PM
Not quite direct competition. You have to buy a tuner from Sling. Not so with Orb.

Although I started with using Sling around the house (admit it, one reason for using it is to watch TV in the bathroom)... I now find I use it more away from home over 3G. But I agree, I'll take whatever they give.

What's interesting is that the ATT contract still appears to prohibit Sling:

"This means, by way of example only, that checking email, surfing the Internet, downloading legally acquired songs, and/or visiting corporate intranets is permitted, but downloading movies using P2P file sharing services, redirecting television signals for viewing on Personal Computers, web broadcasting, and/or for the operation of servers, telemetry devices and/or Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition devices is prohibited."

I suppose you could argue that the iPhone isn't a Personal Computer, and thus is not included in the prohibition.

You could also argue that AT&T allowed youtube on the iPhone over edge and 3G because Apple told them to allow it. However Sling is no Apple and Apple may not really care much to stick up for Sling. who knows. We'll know soon i guess

docal97
Mar 28, 2009, 06:49 AM
Well, it would be very hard to believe that a company like Sling would invest so must time in development of a program without some guarantee of approval by Apple or at least some guidelines for what would be acceptable for approval. I have read multiple posts in the past about developers getting turned off by Apple's discretionary approval process.

So I definitely believe that the Sling Player for Iphone is coming. The same software for my Treo cost 29.99 so I anticipate it will be of similar price for the Iphone. It is well worth the cost at that number too.

And I can envision a huge ad campaign by Apple involving this AP.

PoitNarf
Mar 28, 2009, 10:21 AM
who gives a crap?

Obviously you don't. Thank you for your helpful contribution to the thread.

Rotara
Mar 28, 2009, 08:11 PM
I have the Windows Mobile version installed on my company handset, but do you think Sling Media will charge me again to use the iPhone version (which I currently use as my personal handset)? I'm hoping a code will work across all variations of the SPM software regardless of platform. Maybe i'm just hoping for a miracle.!

kdarling
Mar 28, 2009, 08:22 PM
I don't know about doing it across totally different phone types, but you've always been able to transfer the registration code between like phones.

For instance, I've moved registration between WM touch phones.

Update: YES, you can move between any phone that has Slingplayer.

FAQ: Transfer registration code (http://support.slingmedia.com/get/KB-005002.html)

Your SlingPlayer Mobile Registration Key is only good on one device at a time. However, if you upgraded your phone, you can use your original Registration Key and email address combination to register your new phone. It doesn't matter if you have moved from a Pocket PC device to a Smartphone or if you moved from a Palm OS device to a Pocket PC. The same Key works on all versions of SlingPlayer Mobile.

Of course, when you transfer, the old phone's player stops working.

GutBomb
Mar 28, 2009, 08:50 PM
I don't know about doing it across totally different phone types, but you've always been able to transfer the registration code between like phones.

FAQ: Transfer registration code (http://support.slingmedia.com/get/KB-005002.html)

Your SlingPlayer Mobile Registration Key is only good on one device at a time. However, if you upgraded your phone, you can use your original Registration Key and email address combination to register your new phone. It doesn't matter if you have moved from a Pocket PC device to a Smartphone or if you moved from a Palm OS device to a Pocket PC. The same Key works on all versions of SlingPlayer Mobile.

Not exactly sure how that would work on an iphone since the app store does not have the capability of "unlocking" applications.

fishkorp
Mar 28, 2009, 10:02 PM

But the iPhone app won't require a key/license. You just pay for the app and that's it. Apple isn't going to let Sling put a free app on the store and then allow customers to register it with a code for $29 outside of the App Store, no way. Licenses for other mobile version won't work for the iPhone app, I don't see how they possibly can. The best one can hope for is if Sling offers something where if you tell them to revoke your license they send you a promo code for the app or something. This is a question to ask Sling, not the people here.

mikeinternet
Mar 28, 2009, 10:22 PM
But the iPhone app won't require a key/license. You just pay for the app and that's it. Apple isn't going to let Sling put a free app on the store and then allow customers to register it with a code for $29 outside of the App Store, no way. Licenses for other mobile version won't work for the iPhone app, I don't see how they possibly can. The best one can hope for is if Sling offers something where if you tell them to revoke your license they send you a promo code for the app or something. This is a question to ask Sling, not the people here.

Apple did say no fake free apps that end up charging later on.

kdarling
Mar 28, 2009, 10:50 PM
Y'all have some good points.

How about this scenario:

1) If you already have a Slingplayer code, you download the "free" version and register it with Sling to activate it longterm.

2) If you don't, you pay for and download the $30 version.

The free version could even be a time-limited demo, if Apple would allow such a thing. (Sling knows very well that once you try it, you're hooked.)

scirica
Mar 28, 2009, 11:03 PM
Y'all have some good points.

How about this scenario:

1) If you already have a Slingplayer code, you download the "free" version and register it with Sling to activate it longterm.

2) If you don't, you pay for and download the $30 version.

The free version could even be a time-limited demo, if Apple would allow such a thing. (Sling knows very well that once you try it, you're hooked.)

Makes sense if you follow the Sling model which is try demo for 30 days before it locks you out and requires a code. I really wish I could revive my WM phone to get the code out!

Lara F
Mar 29, 2009, 12:11 AM
But the iPhone app won't require a key/license. You just pay for the app and that's it. Apple isn't going to let Sling put a free app on the store and then allow customers to register it with a code for $29 outside of the App Store, no way. Licenses for other mobile version won't work for the iPhone app, I don't see how they possibly can.

See Taber's Cyclopedic Medical Dictionary for that exact scenario. :) Seriously - I downloaded the app for free, and upon opening it asked me to input a user name and password which I purchased through Unboundmedicine.com. It's most definitely possible.

Aside from 3G my second greatest hope is that I can transfer my Palm TX license over. btw, I think given Apple's fee we do have to be prepared for this app being $40 instead of the usual $30 so Sling can make the same profit. :(

bossxii
Mar 29, 2009, 07:00 PM

They are direct competition.

ORB you MUST have a TV tuner, show me a list of laptops or desktops witih built in TV tuners that WILL WORK with ORB.

Sling you buy a box. Either way you have start up costs.

Direct competition is the final product, they are the ONLY TWO that offer an App that con provide LIVE TV, streaming to your iPhone.

If there is another please let me know.

I've tried ORB, purchased and RETURNED two cards, both they recommended and neither worked for Live TV, it's a pain in the butt to setup.

Sling is 100x easier, initial cost ends up the same +/- if someone wants Live TV these are the only options.

I honestly would use ORB if I could have set it up, but their support sucks and never could get it working.

Bottom line my point is, if ORB is allowed to stream video over 3g, I'm guessing Slingmedia will likely get that same approval.

ROBARMY
Mar 29, 2009, 07:41 PM
They are direct competition.

ORB you MUST have a TV tuner, show me a list of laptops or desktops witih built in TV tuners that WILL WORK with ORB.

Sling you buy a box. Either way you have start up costs.

Direct competition is the final product, they are the ONLY TWO that offer an App that con provide LIVE TV, streaming to your iPhone.

If there is another please let me know.

I've tried ORB, purchased and RETURNED two cards, both they recommended and neither worked for Live TV, it's a pain in the butt to setup.

Sling is 100x easier, initial cost ends up the same +/- if someone wants Live TV these are the only options.

I honestly would use ORB if I could have set it up, but their support sucks and never could get it working.

Bottom line my point is, if ORB is allowed to stream video over 3g, I'm guessing Slingmedia will likely get that same approval.

My thoughts exactly!!!! So all you folks out there saying it won't get approved for 3G access have no idea what their saying. I had trouble setting up the ORB but after days of configuration and exchanging tuners I did get it to work but I had constant lag and streaming issues no matter what I did and the support ORB has sucks. Sling player for the iPhone WILL be approved and I bet we will see it Monday.... KNOCK ON WOOD. :D

semlohde
Mar 29, 2009, 09:33 PM
I have to disagree with bossxii and ROBARMY. I have a hp media system and it came with a compatible card. I set ORB up on this Vista machine and it ran fine. Has the same control as Sling to cover the infra red on the Directv. I have another system with a Directv on it and Sling runs on that. It ran perfectly on the WM5 and WM6 Blackjack but when I got the iPhone it was wait till now. BUT, I got ORB running and it does 3g and WiFi perfectly - AND runs on EDGE with few hesitations on the iPhone 3g. I like ORB but I take that Directv box to the trailer and that ends the ORB experience for awhile. I'm glad Sling has this going - and hope Apple gets off their tails and approve it soon.

semlohde
Mar 29, 2009, 09:36 PM
And Engadgetmobile has info on this.
The cats over at DBSTalk have had the privilege of toying with it, and they even assembled a lovely PDF with setup instructions and images of the show search, recording and show cards functionality. For iPhone lovers with DirecTV, there's absolutely no excuse to not check this out.
www.engadgetmobile.com

ROBARMY
Mar 29, 2009, 09:45 PM
I have to disagree with bossxii and ROBARMY. I have a hp media system and it came with a compatible card. I set ORB up on this Vista machine and it ran fine. Has the same control as Sling to cover the infra red on the Directv. I have another system with a Directv on it and Sling runs on that. It ran perfectly on the WM5 and WM6 Blackjack but when I got the iPhone it was wait till now. BUT, I got ORB running and it does 3g and WiFi perfectly - AND runs on EDGE with few hesitations on the iPhone 3g. I like ORB but I take that Directv box to the trailer and that ends the ORB experience for awhile. I'm glad Sling has this going - and hope Apple gets off their tails and approve it soon.

Glad it worked for you and maybe it would have for me if I had the same set-up as you but since I don't we are talking apples and oranges. It worked eventually but like many have said on this and other forums support sucks with ORB. I've worked for HP for 12 years as a tech so I know my way around but the equipment I was using was sub-par at best and I'm sure the main reasons for the issues but sling has always worked like a charm on the same equipment.... go figure.... I think sling has a better product overall. :)

bossxii
Mar 29, 2009, 09:59 PM

Great to hear ORB is working for you. I honestly would have enjoyed using it, just was never able to get it to work (with Live TV). I have used sling for about a year and the only reason I posted was to ask/point out that ORB is in fact allowed to stream video via 3g. I was stating that if Sling thought it was going to have an issue with approval of it's app in general they could draw a specific example of a similar app, running on 3g, that was approved.

ORB has a few features I have used, to stream a movie or recorded TV shows off my computer, just wished it would have worked for the Live TV. Just was trying to point out it's not so crazy to think Sling will work over 3g :).

Drumjim85
Mar 30, 2009, 12:02 AM
And Engadgetmobile has info on this.
The cats over at DBSTalk have had the privilege of toying with it, and they even assembled a lovely PDF with setup instructions and images of the show search, recording and show cards functionality. For iPhone lovers with DirecTV, there's absolutely no excuse to not check this out.
www.engadgetmobile.com

This has absolutly nothing to do with the sling player and this thread...

semlohde
Mar 30, 2009, 01:20 AM
EXSQUEEZE ME~ I DID READ IT WRONG! Got so excited I saw DirecTV and iPhone and the old mind never once caught it. WHOOPIE, you'll hit 61 and just see how much fun it gets - and thanks for pointing it out...

neil1980
Mar 30, 2009, 05:30 AM
Well if this gets approved and is sensibly priced and works on 3G then they will have a sale for a sling box and iPhone software.

I dare say if I feel like this then I dare say there are a fair few others feel the same so I'd be surprised if Apple rejected it or didn't hurry up the approval process (then again I wouldn't be surprised if they said no either!!)

b00st3d
Mar 30, 2009, 08:18 AM
soooo any guesses on how long apple is gonna take approving this?!

michelle21
Mar 30, 2009, 12:03 PM
I'm watching this closely and others. Trying to get some idea wether the app I'm writting will make approval. I'm doing both a web only and native version just in case it doesn't get approval. The app streams media from upnp servers on your local area network to the phone. The app uses a java backend server that acts as a bridge between the media servers and the phone. The phone uses bonjour to locate a particular server.
A simple proxy server can get you out of your local area network and maybe into hot water with the dmca. (another concern), since dvd's in standard h264 format stream extremely well over wifi, and (depending on time of day, position of the sun, the ground hog seeing its shadow or not :-) ), sometimes watchable over 3g.

The app also supports pictures, and I may limit the first incarnation anyway to that medium. I'm sure apple will approve that. The app lets you find, manipulate, share with other users via the web and print via the bridge which uses java advanced imaging to find sutible printers /photos can be stored on simple jetty based photo servers (one included in the distribution), upnp servers and tivo series 2 consoles.

You can upload and share pictures from the above sources or via the camera.

vvebsta
Mar 30, 2009, 05:35 PM
Does anyone know if this has 3G/Edge support? I would be kinda bummed if it was just Wifi.

divabimbers
Mar 30, 2009, 05:52 PM
Does anyone know if this has 3G/Edge support? I would be kinda bummed if it was just Wifi.

I think it's been said that Sling wanted their app to work on 3G/Edge so that is their goal but it depends on Apple. We're not going to know the details until it comes to the store unfortunately.

boss1
Mar 30, 2009, 09:47 PM

I looked. Didn't find anything. Maybe tomorow?

stratmancj
Mar 30, 2009, 10:51 PM
a lead moderator on slingcommunity says that both 3g and wifi should be supported

"Unfortunately we have no idea when Apple will make this available on their apps store. Apparently they are way behind on approving apps.
But both wi-fi and 3G should be supported."

http://www.slingcommunity.com/forum/thread/34522/SlingPlayer-for-iPhone-iPod-Touch-Forum-Now-Open/#100647

bossxii
Mar 31, 2009, 02:13 AM
a lead moderator on slingcommunity says that both 3g and wifi should be supported

"Unfortunately we have no idea when Apple will make this available on their apps store. Apparently they are way behind on approving apps.
But both wi-fi and 3G should be supported."

http://www.slingcommunity.com/forum/thread/34522/SlingPlayer-for-iPhone-iPod-Touch-Forum-Now-Open/#100647

My money is that it works on 3g and Wifi. ORB was approved, NCAA streaming of the tourny was, AT&T already allows Sling to run on other phones, alongside the fact they sell their MobileTV pack. The only way 3g doesn't make it if Slingmedia doesn't have it optimized as Apple would like and considers it a bandwidth hog. ORB first came out Wifi only, a week or so later, 3g was in an update.

The only other thing that came to mind is it comes out Wifi now and then Apple/AT&T introduce it's available on 3g in June with the new iPhone, claiming the higher speeds for better streaming etc...

I just hope the app releases before June :)

verks
Mar 31, 2009, 09:42 AM
My money is that it works on 3g and Wifi. ORB was approved, NCAA streaming of the tourny was, AT&T already allows Sling to run on other phones, alongside the fact they sell their MobileTV pack. The only way 3g doesn't make it if Slingmedia doesn't have it optimized as Apple would like and considers it a bandwidth hog. ORB first came out Wifi only, a week or so later, 3g was in an update.

The only other thing that came to mind is it comes out Wifi now and then Apple/AT&T introduce it's available on 3g in June with the new iPhone, claiming the higher speeds for better streaming etc...

I just hope the app releases before June :)

Your reasoning for it to work on 3G doesn't cut it. The only valid one is ORB but it's not really the same app.

NCAA app is WIFI only.

At&t does not "allow" Sling on other phones. They can't control what programs are used on other phones. They can control what goes on the iPhone through apple.

AT&T's mobile tv service would be direct competition to Sling so it would actually be a reason for it to be wifi only.

I hope it's 3G and I can't wait for it to come out.

leeus
Mar 31, 2009, 12:38 PM
I am itching for Apple to get this through!

How did Skype know the exact release date of their App but we can't know the Sling one?

jimsowden
Mar 31, 2009, 01:21 PM
This app really puts the iPhone in a whole new category. Watching live TV is a massive step forward, something I've though cell phones should do for ages. And this means it won't be washed down, to low quality dumb clips. Live access to all my TV stations.

Apple would be fools not to made an ad for this one.

fishkorp
Mar 31, 2009, 01:44 PM
I am itching for Apple to get this through!

How did Skype know the exact release date of their App but we can't know the Sling one?

Developers set a release date when they submit the app. If it gets approved before that date, it doesn't go on sale until that date. Skype probably put a release date way out in the future (6 months, a year?) and once it was approved they changed the release date to March 31st. This way they can market that the app will be available on March 31st so they get a lot of press/buzz and everyone knows exactly when it's coming. Instead, if you pick the default of the date you are submitting, it just shows up in the stores around the world a few hours after it hits "ready for sale" status. Sling can do something similar once it is approved. Until then, it's out of their hands.

sdpokey
Mar 31, 2009, 03:33 PM
AT&T's mobile tv service would be direct competition to Sling so it would actually be a reason for it to be wifi only.

The AT&T mobile TV service isn't available on the iPhone so it wouldn't be in competition with Sling

bossxii
Mar 31, 2009, 10:26 PM
Your reasoning for it to work on 3G doesn't cut it. The only valid one is ORB but it's not really the same app.

NCAA app is WIFI only.

At&t does not "allow" Sling on other phones. They can't control what programs are used on other phones. They can control what goes on the iPhone through apple.

My bad on NCAA, it is only Wifi for video. To the ORB app, how is it different in terms of streaming live TV? ORB does it from your computer, Sling does it form their box.

There is some amount of bandwidth AT&T allows or we wouldn't have ORB, Sling is about as similar as I can draw a comparison against.

To the AT&T "allowing", they don't stop people from using Sling, it may not be in their TOS but they don't stop it. I was speaking in general terms, but I guess that confuses some people :)

bossxii
Mar 31, 2009, 10:29 PM
This app really puts the iPhone in a whole new category. Watching live TV is a massive step forward, something I've though cell phones should do for ages. And this means it won't be washed down, to low quality dumb clips. Live access to all my TV stations.

Apple would be fools not to made an ad for this one.

Sling has been available on several other cell phones for a few years. This is only a new idea to the iPhone, not cell phones in general. The iPhone is just one of "many" already available platforms this technology is available on.

iPhone Chicago
Apr 1, 2009, 08:30 AM
http://www.slingmedia.com/go/upgrade

"Current Slingbox functionality will not be affected if you choose not to upgrade, but software like SlingPlayer Mobile for iPhone and future services yet to be announced will only be supported for customers using Slingbox SOLO and Slingbox PRO-HD products or forthcoming SlingLoaded products."

well that sucks...there goes the excitement of this app being released for me as i'm an original slingbox owner...

lftrghtparadigm
Apr 1, 2009, 08:36 AM
From what I recall this app worked like ---- at Macworld, connected over WiFi. It did not at all work over 3G at that time though they were unwilling to admit it, they simply said, "It would in the future." or something to that effect.

This is interesting because of what it provides, but I'm half expecting this app to disappoint horribly. Just prepare yourselves.

fishkorp
Apr 1, 2009, 08:38 AM

"Current Slingbox functionality will not be affected if you choose not to upgrade, but software like SlingPlayer Mobile for iPhone and future services yet to be announced will only be supported for customers using Slingbox SOLO and Slingbox PRO-HD products or forthcoming SlingLoaded products."

well that sucks...there goes the excitement of this app being released for me as i'm an original slingbox owner...

Hmmm. I have a Slingbox Pro (not HD) and it's not mentioned anywhere on that page

If you currently own an original Slingbox, Slingbox AV or Slingbox TUNER, you are eligible to receive $50 off a new Slingbox SOLO or Slingbox PRO-HD. To qualify, you'll be asked to enter your serial number to receive your discount.

So what's the deal?

jasond9263
Apr 1, 2009, 09:38 AM

This is a bummer. IF the iPhone app works over 3G it looks like I will have to upgrade my Slingbox AV. If not I may have to look hard at the Nokia E71x that is coming out soon.

kdarling
Apr 1, 2009, 10:31 AM
To the AT&T "allowing", they don't stop people from using Sling, it may not be in their TOS but they don't stop it. I was speaking in general terms, but I guess that confuses some people :)

Right, ATT's TOS actually prohibits sending video (interestingly, Verizon's TOS now allows it), but carriers usually overlook it if you're not using too much data.

(Sling uses about 100-150MB per hour. So about 40 hours of viewing would be 5GB.)

The difference here is, Apple will be publicly selling a player for a phone that's on ATT. It would be like selling a tethering app. Carriers usually ignore both tethering and Slinging if it's done quietly, but that wouldn't be the case here.

I suspect there's a lot of impact testing and forecasting being done in ATT's labs right now :)

It'll be interesting to see what happens. Certainly Sling has put the pressure on, by announcing their submittal. Seems to be getting common to do that, else an app can disappear.

brian4610
Apr 1, 2009, 11:29 AM

Am i the only one hoping that this is an april fools joke?

I know it's not, but what a bummer.........

gadgetfreaky
Apr 1, 2009, 11:46 AM
Am i the only one hoping that this is an april fools joke?

I know it's not, but what a bummer.........
Well for Sling-it's an easy way to pull in some extra revenue. IPhone users tend to be willing to plunk down some cash and what better way to force a bunch of folks to upgrade.
also --even with the 50 bucks in rebates you can get a sling solo for $139. the company is pretty slimey now that the founders are gone.

bronksy
Apr 1, 2009, 11:56 AM
not on slingbox classic? No way! That sucks.

MarceePauff
Apr 1, 2009, 12:04 PM
This really is super-crappy. Sling wants me to shell out $30-$40 for an app that will only work if I spend another $129 on hardware - hardware that I don't even need since my original Slingbox works just fine. What a crock.

Lara F
Apr 1, 2009, 12:15 PM
This sucks. I have a Slingbox Solo at home in NY fortunately, but my parents in Canada have AV so I won't get their stations unless I convince my Dad to upgrade (or more likely pay for it myself since it's only the iPhone app currently affected). I was fully prepared to be unable to transfer my Palm TX license and pay up to $40, but this does smack of opportunism/greed. :mad:

Drumjim85
Apr 1, 2009, 12:18 PM

being supported doesn't mean it won't work. it means that if it doesn't work they won't help you out.

people need to calm down until it gets released. If it doesn't work then. Then you can bitch.

brian4610
Apr 1, 2009, 12:19 PM
This really is super-crappy. Sling wants me to shell out $30-$40 for an app that will only work if I spend another $129 on hardware - hardware that I don't even need since my original Slingbox works just fine. What a crock.

Is that price confirmed? This, along with 3.0, were the two things I was looking forward to the most this year....now that sling is trying to gouge it's fan base, by requiring an upgrade to hardware and potentially one of the most costly apps out there (for everyday people), what a disappointment....now I have to wait until July for 3.0.....hopefully it won't be a let down like Sling....what a rip off.

Lara F
Apr 1, 2009, 12:21 PM
being supported doesn't mean it won't work. it means that if it doesn't work they won't help you out.

people need to calm down until it gets released. If it doesn't work then. Then you can bitch.

That's true - people did get Sling to work on the Blackberry storm and I think other CDMA devices despite it not being "supported". Thanks for the reminder...will wait and see then.

leeus
Apr 1, 2009, 12:31 PM
Hmmm. I have a Slingbox Pro (not HD) and it's not mentioned anywhere on that page

So what's the deal?

Yes it is further down....

"Current Slingbox functionality will not be affected if you choose not to upgrade, but software like SlingPlayer Mobile for iPhone and future services yet to be announced will only be supported for customers using Slingbox SOLO, Slingbox PRO and Slingbox PRO-HD products or forthcoming SlingLoaded products. "

OnTheZone
Apr 1, 2009, 12:37 PM

The way that is worded to me is that it will still work but there is some features that will only work on the new version that will be released in the future. The only feature that the slingbox AV needs that it has is to log into your account to find your slingbox. So why wouldn't the new slingplayer work with the old slingbox? Its a classic marketing to make you buy something that you don't need and by then you already upgraded.

fishkorp
Apr 1, 2009, 12:57 PM
Yes it is further down....

"Current Slingbox functionality will not be affected if you choose not to upgrade, but software like SlingPlayer Mobile for iPhone and future services yet to be announced will only be supported for customers using Slingbox SOLO, Slingbox PRO and Slingbox PRO-HD products or forthcoming SlingLoaded products. "

The inclusion of PRO wasn't there this morning, only SOLO and PRO-HD. But I'm glad to see the PRO will work :D

Frizzle Fry
Apr 1, 2009, 01:49 PM
The inclusion of PRO wasn't there this morning, only SOLO and PRO-HD. But I'm glad to see the PRO will work :D

The PRO was definitely not on there this morning, and I was bummed. The folks at Sling must be monitoring this thread. Anyway, I'm excited again! C'mon Apple, get this approved -- we're all waiting in line with our cash!

hippo206
Apr 1, 2009, 02:17 PM
The PRO was definitely not on there this morning, and I was bummed. The folks at Sling must be monitoring this thread. Anyway, I'm excited again! C'mon Apple, get this approved -- we're all waiting in line with our cash!

The idea of camping macrumor threads made me laugh.

boss1
Apr 1, 2009, 03:22 PM
I know they normally sell the mobile version if slingplayer for a premium on other platforms.

Obviously I'm not part of Sling's decision making process when it comes to pricing, however I do believe that if the iPhone version were priced at 99 cents or FREE they would sell a ton more hardware.

Taking a page from Apple strategy of course. iTunes = Free = sell a ton of iPods. Just my 2 cents and if the good people at Sling are reading this those 2 cents are valuable advice imo :p . You can nickle and dime your current customer base or sell the cow to a whole new set of consumers who download this thing for free or 99 cents only when they realize heck .... this slingplayer app would be hella usefull with a slingbox.

Lara F
Apr 1, 2009, 04:16 PM
And get a ton of negative reviews from idiots who downloaded assuming it was free, without reading the description. :rolleyes: Happens all the time on the iTunes store. Still, makes sense that there could be more hardware sold were the app free - how much I wouldn't know.

In any case, I'm disappointed over today's news but someone on Slingcommunity pointed out one good thing. It's possible the hardware restriction is necessary to get the bandwith sufficiently compressed to appease AT&T, increasing the chances of it being accepted over 3G. Maybe I'm being overly optimistic but I really hope they had a good reason for this (though I do think it should have been announced earlier, same with the CDMA blackberry issue). I think it'd be to their advantage to be more open and explain exactly why this was decided and what if any are the hardware limitations.

Unfortunately the moderator did not seem optimistic about getting classic/AV's to work on the iPhone with or without support. :( But we'll still have to wait...hope Apple hurries up already!

docal97
Apr 1, 2009, 08:43 PM
I would love to know what is taking Apple so long to approve this AP. They must have know that it is coming. I know that there are probably lots of Ap's in their approval que, but how many Ap's are sitting there waiting to be approved by major developers like Sling, which have the potential to be game changers for Apple? I mean, you could easily see Apple doing media ad's featuring the Sling functionality on the Iphone as a selling point.

It really just dosen't make any sense.

diddy
Apr 1, 2009, 09:18 PM
So why wouldn't the new slingplayer work with the old slingbox? Its a classic marketing to make you buy something that you don't need and by then you already upgraded.

That has nothing at all to do with this. ;)

Older Slingboxes encode their outbound streams as WMV, while the newer Slingboxes (PRO-HD and SOLO) encode to h.264. (The original Pro probably has a programmable DSP that will allow it to encode h.264 with a software update.)

h.264 playback on iPhone is trivial, whereas reliable WMV playback would be a significant effort, not to mention a huge strain on the battery.

cis4life
Apr 1, 2009, 09:18 PM
I agree,

I thought this would have BEEN approved by now. The wait continues, this is the only thing I hate about this whole app store process. This whole "WE ARE THE GODS OF THE APP STORE, AND WE SHALL GRANT OR REJECT WHATEVER WE PLEASE" Attitude.

Come on Apple, just release the dog gone app now. We know you have the power.

Drumjim85
Apr 1, 2009, 09:34 PM
Older Slingboxes encode their outbound streams as WMV, while the newer Slingboxes (PRO-HD and SOLO) encode to h.264. (The original Pro probably has a programmable DSP that will allow it to encode h.264 with a software update.)
good to know, thanks!
I agree,

I thought this would have BEEN approved by now. The wait continues, this is the only thing I hate about this whole app store process. This whole "WE ARE THE GODS OF THE APP STORE, AND WE SHALL GRANT OR REJECT WHATEVER WE PLEASE" Attitude.

Come on Apple, just release the dog gone app now. We know you have the power.

It hasn't even been 7 days yet.... and would you prefer a totally open platform (like android used to be) and have malware on your phone?

kdarling
Apr 1, 2009, 09:47 PM
It hasn't even been 7 days yet.... and would you prefer a totally open platform (like android used to be) and have malware on your phone?

Oh for goodness' sake. Along comes the iPhone, and Jobs turns people into frightened software wimps. What, you've never downloaded third party software for your other computers, either?

If we can't trust software from Sling, who can we trust?

There's no reason that Sling shouldn't be able to sell such software on their own, just as they've done for years for other phones. Without Apple's approval.

Drumjim85
Apr 1, 2009, 09:52 PM
Oh for goodness' sake. Along comes the iPhone, and Jobs turns people into frightened software wimps. What, you've never downloaded third party software for your other computers, either?

If we can't trust software from Sling, who can we trust?

There's no reason that Sling shouldn't be able to sell such software on their own, just as they've done for years for other phones. Without Apple's approval.

I'm just saying, android tried to be open and it failed / not as open.

docal97
Apr 1, 2009, 11:24 PM
Not saying the system should be open but just a quicker approval process. What could possibly take so long for an app to hit the store?

boss1
Apr 1, 2009, 11:25 PM
well it looks like the round of April 1st apps have been released and no sling in sight. That's 7 days if you include the 26th of March.

gsxrboy
Apr 1, 2009, 11:42 PM
Edited for slowness

MACingIS4Me
Apr 2, 2009, 12:39 AM
I don't know if many have seen this or not...if you own a sling box classic according to the sling site you will need to upgrade to use sling media on your iphone! complete bullshiz!:eek::confused::mad:

IVIr.S3CR3T
Apr 2, 2009, 01:22 AM
I don't know if many have seen this or not...if you own a sling box classic according to the sling site you will need to upgrade to use sling media on your iphone! complete bullshiz!:eek::confused::mad:

take a few deep breaths k

calm down sling is just trying to make some money

also good thing that at school i have an airport and will be able to use sling to its fullest:D

pavvento
Apr 2, 2009, 01:37 AM
take a few deep breaths k

calm down sling is just trying to make some money

also good thing that at school i have an airport and will be able to use sling to its fullest:D

That's why you charge for the software, to make money. You don't make hardware requirements that are not necessary, as most reports are stating (this could be wrong, but doubtful).

There's a correct way to do business, and there's a wrong way, this is the wrong way.

GutBomb
Apr 2, 2009, 07:40 AM
That's why you charge for the software, to make money. You don't make hardware requirements that are not necessary, as most reports are stating (this could be wrong, but doubtful).

There's a correct way to do business, and there's a wrong way, this is the wrong way.

It's completely possible that there is some sort of limitation of the iphone version of the software that they were unable to overcome. It's not necessarily a money grab.

Perhaps the older boxes don't have an efficient enough encoder to get the video compressed enough for what they expect to be Apple's liking? Or the quality of said compressed video from the older boxes is just too low.

You don't know ANYTHING so to assume Sling is trying to screw you is a bit ridiculous.

fishkorp
Apr 2, 2009, 07:49 AM

This was addressed a few posts above yours. Older devices would sling in WMV, newer devices in h.264. Try watching some WMV videos on your iPhone easily ;)

It's not just about making money, it's a legitimate limitation of the device itself.

cis4life
Apr 2, 2009, 07:54 AM
Exactly, its a hardware limitation that sling is dealing with.

I'm just glad I upgraded my unit to the new one when Circuit City went under. Got mine for $75. Plus, I believe sling is giving you $50 dollars off the upgrade. The new version is really worth the upgrade.

chriszzz
Apr 2, 2009, 09:26 AM

First, you have no idea why they have these hardware requirements. As others point out, they use h.264 vs. WMV for streaming the video.

Second, there are two ways to do business. If you're doing it right, you make money. If you're doing it wrong, you don't. Last I heard, Sling was still in business making money. If you don't like their business model, don't buy their product. Simple as that.

pavvento
Apr 2, 2009, 10:22 AM
First, you have no idea why they have these hardware requirements. As others point out, they use h.264 vs. WMV for streaming the video.

Second, there are two ways to do business. If you're doing it right, you make money. If you're doing it wrong, you don't. Last I heard, Sling was still in business making money. If you don't like their business model, don't buy their product. Simple as that.

How long has sling been working on this? They had a demo on a jailbroken phone almost a year ago, you think suddenly they realized older boxes wouldn't work?

If this was simy a hardware problem it should have been clear from the start. Fact is they are taking advantage of any new sling customers who bought an older box. Why would they only announce this now?

People wonder why the economy sucks? Well one reason is flawed business models. I accept the fact that you have to upgrade to newer technology if you want to ha e the latest thing, but there's. Proper way Togo about it...it's called customer service.

fishkorp
Apr 2, 2009, 10:30 AM
How long has sling been working on this? They had a demo on a jailbroken phone almost a year ago, you think suddenly they realized older boxes wouldn't work?

If this was simy a hardware problem it should have been clear from the start. Fact is they are taking advantage of any new sling customers who bought an older box. Why would they only announce this now?

People wonder why the economy sucks? Well one reason is flawed business models. I accept the fact that you have to upgrade to newer technology if you want to ha e the latest thing, but there's. Proper way Togo about it...it's called customer service.

They didn't have the limitations of the SDK with the jailbroken demo. The probably included some frameworks or libraries for the WMV decoding that they can't use on an official app.

stratmancj
Apr 2, 2009, 11:32 AM

where are new sling customers buying a box that isn't even sold anymore? the only place to get one is used on ebay.

Manny13z
Apr 2, 2009, 10:16 PM
I love Apple but some stuff drives me crazy, what happened to "We approve 96 % of applications within 48 hrs of submission" I guess the Slingplayer unfortunately falls into the 4% that doesn't much to my dismay.

docal97
Apr 2, 2009, 10:46 PM
I love Apple but some stuff drives me crazy, what happened to "We approve 96 % of applications within 48 hrs of submission" I guess the Slingplayer unfortunately falls into the 4% that doesn't much to my dismay.

Totally agree.

ravenvii
Apr 2, 2009, 10:53 PM

Or it actually did get rejected.

brian4610
Apr 2, 2009, 11:20 PM
Or it actually did get rejected.

HA! after hearing from engadget that the whole ugrade ordeal is driven by $$ then it is by tech i would applaud apple for their 'denied' stamp!

Drumjim85
Apr 2, 2009, 11:25 PM
HA! after hearing from engadget that the whole ugrade ordeal is driven by $$ then it is by tech i would applaud apple for their 'denied' stamp!

they've denied things for stupider reasons...

brian4610
Apr 2, 2009, 11:57 PM
they've denied thinks for stupider reasons...

i don't really care what apple does at this point....deny, approve, charge $30, $50, $100, whatever...i've accepted the fact that i won't have sling on my iphone due to the need to upgrade..disappointing..

chriszzz
Apr 3, 2009, 12:53 AM

The fact that it worked on a jailbroken phone before is irrelevant. If older slingboxes stream in WMV they may not be able to use that codec within the rules of the SDK. I'm not trying to say that Sling isn't at fault here, I'm just trying to give them a chance to explain. Everyone here accusing them of being greedy and ripping people off, yet nobody actually knows the reasoning. What happened to innocent until proven guilty?

bossxii
Apr 3, 2009, 02:09 AM
Ok, so I get the fact people are upset that their slingbox doesn't work with the upcoming iPhone App.

The thing that seems odd is the fact the very same thing Sling is going thru, Apple has done over, and over, and over.

If you all think this is bad, don't ever buy any Mac products lol. Apple loves their proprietary adapters, add on hardware and any excuse to "nudge" someone to update to a new machine. Opps.. that 3 month old Macbook won't work with the new mini DisplayPort just on the new 24" Apple Cinema Display.. can we interest you in a new Unibody Macbook? or Macbook Pro? :)

I have the 1st gen iPhone that while it's only just now approaching 2 years old in June, it will likely be considered "obsolete" with many features in the new 3.0 SDK. It already is left behind from any GPS, turn by turn app that maybe on it's way. Likely no A2DP software upgrade for it along with many other new features it won't run.

Technology doubles in speed and many other ways every 18 months, Apple has mastered how to profit from this. Sling is just learning from the master imo. Build in the means to make your product "obsolete" so you have repeat customers, if your products is good enough, they will keep buying the latest and greatest. Apple is King of that hill and Slingmedia is taking notes!

boss1
Apr 3, 2009, 09:50 AM
The following blurb was taken from a post in the sling community forum
While this may not necessarily mean anything, it could possibly mean that it may be a while before this app gets approved if at all.

The issue here apparently seems not to have much to with bandwidth as it does to do with the sad grey areas of defining broadcasting and broadcasting rights and what's legal and what's not legal and what's a moral obligation vs a legal obligation vs a financial motivation and who's who and what's what blah blah blah.....
..... basically more struggles between the powers that be to see who gets the bigger slice of your consumer money

See Robb Topolski's 3-31-09 blog entry on publicknowledge.org http://www.publicknowledge.org/node/2069

Apparently, AT&T just modified its wireless terms of service (TOS) within the past few days in a not very subtle attempt to prohibit SlingPlayer use on the iPhone. In addition to prohibiting P2P downloading of movies, they explicitly prohibited:

"customer initiated redirection of television or other video or audio signals via any technology from a fixed location to a mobile device"

See complete language at http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/legal/plan-terms.jsp

I for one would like to hear what AT&T, Apple and Sling have to say about this (and soon).

Is this going to stop or hold up Apple's approval of SlingPlayer for the iPhone?

Has anyone (including AT&T) looked into the possible antitrust implications of AT&T's actions?

When does AT&T's iPhone exclusivity expire (sounds like a good opportunity for Sprint and others)

Drumjim85
Apr 3, 2009, 10:07 AM
The following blurb was taken from a post in the sling community forum
While this may not necessarily mean anything, it could possibly mean that it may be a while before this app gets approved if at all.

The issue here apparently seems not to have much to with bandwidth as it does to do with the sad grey areas of defining broadcasting and broadcasting rights and what's legal and what's not legal and what's a moral obligation vs a legal obligation vs a financial motivation and who's who and what's what blah blah blah.....
..... basically more struggles between the powers that be to see who gets the bigger slice of your consumer money

why are they just doing this now, and not years ago when BB and WinMo devices started using this app.... ugh.

verks
Apr 3, 2009, 10:27 AM
why are they just doing this now, and not years ago when BB and WinMo devices started using this app.... ugh.

This has been in their TOS for awhile. For some reason, according to this post is has been re-worded ot something.

I remember 2 years ago when I first got a Slingbox reading about how it was against at&t's TOS to stream Sling.

This is nothing new.

Drumjim85
Apr 3, 2009, 11:42 AM
on the same lines of what boss1 said, this was just posted on engadget

Link (http://www.engadget.com/2009/04/03/atandt-tweaks-wireless-terms-of-service-to-forbid-video-streaming/)

Looks like AT&T's taking some aggressive steps to manage network traffic now that it's offering subsidized netbooks -- <SNIP> everything from SlingPlayer to Qik to Skype to Jaikuspot -- so we'll see if the company is really so tone-deaf as to try and retroactively prohibit their use, or if it'll just ignore what it can't possibly enforce. We've pinged AT&T for comment, we'll let you know what they say.

doesn't youtube fall under video streaming?

Mr Fusion
Apr 3, 2009, 12:29 PM
If I hear one more thing about "bandwidth hogging" I'm gonna lose it...

Last I checked, my 3G iPhone's data plan is "UNLIMITED" not "We're gonna get our panties in a bunch if you stream too much video..." Perhaps AT&T could cut some lawyers off their payroll and instead focus on building a 3G network that works like it should.

That stuff about broadcasting rights is nonsense, that's an issue for Sling not Apple or AT&T.

What I'm hoping is Apple simply wanted to take their time testing this one thoroughly, and perhaps is working with Sling to fix some minor bugs they discovered before it's released to us.

If this is rejected, however, I may dump my iPhone at the end of the contract knowing no one worth a d&%m is going to write decent software for this platform. My humble opinion of the iPhone so far: So much potential, so few results. :rolleyes:

Drumjim85
Apr 3, 2009, 01:27 PM
If I hear one more thing about "bandwidth hogging" I'm gonna lose it...

Last I checked, my 3G iPhone's data plan is "UNLIMITED" not "We're gonna get our panties in a bunch if you stream too much video..." Perhaps AT&T could cut some lawyers off their payroll and instead focus on building a 3G network that works like it should.

Sorry to break it to you, but your "unlimited" data plan was never unlimited. It's always be capped at 5gb/month.

adriaanmulder
Apr 3, 2009, 01:53 PM
a

boss1
Apr 3, 2009, 02:05 PM
That stuff about broadcasting rights is nonsense, that's an issue for Sling not Apple or AT&T....

Well the "broadcasting rights" claim is a just a pleasant term for public use... lipstick on a pig if you will ... The raw concern is really "broadcasting $$$", and "broadcasting control" essentially the same .. control = $$$

Of course AT&T is concerned with bandwidth usage, no argument there.

Don't refute the fact however that:
- A tethering app = loss of control for AT&T as it is an unplanned event (because it competes with their wireless data plans for laptops)
- A skype app = loss of revenue for AT&T because it = free phone calls
- A streaming audio (radio) app = loss of revenue for Record labels & Apple
- A streaming video app = loss of control for for the big networks
- A streaming video app that records,replays and rebroadcasts video or audio irritates all entities (especially those who seek royalties) on a multitude of levels.
- A "Sling" app = loss of control for all entities in just about every medium you can name.

That said, no single entity... not Apple, not AT&T, not the labels, not the artists, nor the major networks, is purposely trying to deny the consumer the convenience that "sling" could provide. They all want the consumer to have this access! but first..... they have to flex at each other and throw their weight around (exemplified by the recent change in the AT&T TOS) in order to position themselves into a position of..... c o n t r o l.

Heck Apple had to struggle horrendously for months on end to get 30 second freaking ringtones! simple ringtones! to consumers because of this struggle. You think they're just going to let an outsider like SlingMedia just waltz on in and throw everyone off their ball?

that's my take... but what do i know... Apple could be approving this app as I type this.

boss1
Apr 3, 2009, 02:16 PM
Oh and if we get our Sling app, and AT&T allows the iPhone to tether in June and if no one pulls Skype off the the iTunes store etc ...

You can bet the bank your iPhone phone/data rates are going going to increase substantially this June 2009 . I'm just saying don't be shocked... because it will happen.

B2k1977
Apr 3, 2009, 03:52 PM
The fact that it worked on a jailbroken phone before is irrelevant. If older slingboxes stream in WMV they may not be able to use that codec within the rules of the SDK. I'm not trying to say that Sling isn't at fault here, I'm just trying to give them a chance to explain. Everyone here accusing them of being greedy and ripping people off, yet nobody actually knows the reasoning. What happened to innocent until proven guilty?

I have a slingbox pro. as far as I know it should work. If not, I won't cry, I've been looking for a reason to get the new pro-hd ah ha! :D

docal97
Apr 3, 2009, 06:02 PM
I get the sense with each passing day that this App is either not coming soon or not coming as advertised. i.e.. without 3g and edge support.

I just can't believe that Apple/At&t are going to allow this app to surface when it will hog up so much of network bandwidth. I could easily see Apple tell sling to resubmit the App w/only Wifi to get it approved.

I hope I'm wrong, but I feel that if it was coming as advertised, it would have been here already, especially with all of Apple's proclamations about how quick the approval process has become.

MATTHEWLONG
Apr 3, 2009, 06:33 PM

b00st3d
Apr 3, 2009, 08:40 PM
What do you guys think of this from the sling media site?.

Sling Media is encouraging customers who own these earlier versions of Slingbox to upgrade to Slingbox SOLO or Slingbox PRO-HD to take advantage of next generation software and services that will only be supported when using the most current Slingbox and SlingLoaded products. Future software includes the highly anticipated SlingPlayer Mobile for iPhone software launching soon.

Current Slingbox functionality will not be affected if you choose not to upgrade, but software like SlingPlayer Mobile for iPhone and future services yet to be announced will only be supported for customers using Slingbox SOLO, Slingbox PRO and Slingbox PRO-HD products or forthcoming SlingLoaded products.

are you serious?! have you not read the past few pages?! this is already being discussed!

B2k1977
Apr 4, 2009, 06:24 AM

they're probably not "doing" anything. Everyone loves to talk about being jaded by AT&T. It's only been what a week or 2? Give it a rest. You're all talking on rumors and speculation. God, SHUT UP!

CyberBob859
Apr 4, 2009, 09:10 AM
This was addressed a few posts above yours. Older devices would sling in WMV, newer devices in h.264. Try watching some WMV videos on your iPhone easily ;)

It's not just about making money, it's a legitimate limitation of the device itself.

Then why did Slingmedia demonstrate the beta version working with older hardware at MacWorld?

THIS is the reason why so many are pissed and think it's a money grab.

If they couldn't make the older hardware work reliably for specific technical reasons, Slingmedia HAS TO acknowledge that otherwise they have a public relations nightmare.

But if it does work OK, and Slingmedia thinks the iPhone app is a good excuse to get people to upgrade and restrict use - well, they're going to deserve the scumbag reputation they're rapidly acquiring.

I can't help thinking that Apple has a really good opportunity here to develop something very similar with Apple TV, MobileMe, and a free iPhone app.

adriaanmulder
Apr 4, 2009, 10:21 AM
a

chriszzz
Apr 4, 2009, 11:59 AM
Then why did Slingmedia demonstrate the beta version working with older hardware at MacWorld?

THIS is the reason why so many are pissed and think it's a money grab.

If they couldn't make the older hardware work reliably for specific technical reasons, Slingmedia HAS TO acknowledge that otherwise they have a public relations nightmare.

At what point during the demonstration did they claim it works on all SlingBoxes.

diddy
Apr 4, 2009, 01:30 PM
At what point during the demonstration did they claim it works on all SlingBoxes.

Here's 2 videos with 2 different Sling reps.

http://www.slingcommunity.com/forum/thread/34733/Video-of-Sling-rep-confirming-all-slingboxes-for-iphone/

scirica
Apr 4, 2009, 02:10 PM
Here's 2 videos with 2 different Sling reps.

http://www.slingcommunity.com/forum/thread/34733/Video-of-Sling-rep-confirming-all-slingboxes-for-iphone/

Watched those two videos again, and they certainly didn't hint at upcoming hardware changes, so shame on Sling for a bad PR move. We have short memories however, so this will only be a momentary setback for them (and they know it). My bigger concern is the battle with ATT and whether the agreement for data is going to be the end of 3G access to sling.

fishkorp
Apr 4, 2009, 02:40 PM
Watched those two videos again, and they certainly didn't hint at upcoming hardware changes, so shame on Sling for a bad PR move. We have short memories however, so this will only be a momentary setback for them (and they know it). My bigger concern is the battle with ATT and whether the agreement for data is going to be the end of 3G access to sling.

AT&T issued an apology that their data agreement contained incorrect wording after yesterday's uproar.

Seeing those older demo videos now makes me wonder why they changed and if it is completely money driven :confused: Or maybe for demo purposes they were using libraries or frameworks that are not allowed in the SDK terms for WMV playback, just to show something. If they knew all along they should've said something though. After seeing the demo again my stance has changed on this (although it has no impact on me since I have a Pro).

tncwood1
Apr 4, 2009, 04:34 PM
Hopefully AT&T cleared things up yesterday so that Apple can get this app out the door. Too bad it didn't make it out this week. I would have LOVED to watch the final 4 games this weekend on my iphone! I'm going to be away from home, a computer, & a tv, so it would have been a perfect opportunity. Oh well....hoping for Monday!!!!!!! Please, Please, Please!!!

scirica
Apr 4, 2009, 05:04 PM
Well that's great news (albeit shouldn't have happened in the first place) from AT&T. I just went ahead and ordered a Slingbox SOLO to replace my (already) obsoleted Slingbox AV. Not a total loss, as I can connect the AV to my bedroom receiver and watch live TV on my laptop while on the road without bothering the peeps at home. Or it would be a nice gift for a non-iphone friend.

leeus
Apr 5, 2009, 01:04 AM
Well that's great news (albeit shouldn't have happened in the first place) from AT&T. I just went ahead and ordered a Slingbox SOLO to replace my (already) obsoleted Slingbox AV. Not a total loss, as I can connect the AV to my bedroom receiver and watch live TV on my laptop while on the road without bothering the peeps at home. Or it would be a nice gift for a non-iphone friend.

Wouldn't it have been wise to wait just in case it does actually work?

scirica
Apr 5, 2009, 01:35 PM
Wouldn't it have been wise to wait just in case it does actually work?

Perhaps, but I'm a Slingbox junkie and I was ready to upgrade. I believe the component inputs available on the SOLO in addition to any updated encoding will enhance the quality of my video streaming over my current setup. I will certainly find uses for the old AV.

neil1980
Apr 6, 2009, 07:48 AM
Out of interest how long did it take them to approve Skype?

I'm guessing this should be a similar-ish time scale?

hippo206
Apr 6, 2009, 02:21 PM
Out of interest how long did it take them to approve Skype?

I'm guessing this should be a similar-ish time scale?

I wanna say I read somewhere that it took months (upward of 3-4 months), but I could be wrong. That might have been the time from when they annoucened that they were going to make an app to the time of its release.

Manny13z
Apr 6, 2009, 02:34 PM
I have 2 kids so I watch a ton of animated moives so in the words of King Julian from Madagascar "How long is this going to take?"

macjock
Apr 6, 2009, 04:06 PM
Will this be or indeed is slingplayer U.S. only ?

Drumjim85
Apr 6, 2009, 07:51 PM
According to one user on the SlingCommunity. The app has been approved and they're just waiting for Apple to put it in the store.

Not sure if i trust him (or his source) but here's the link (http://www.slingcommunity.com/forum/thread/34812/Dropped-the-ball-on-NCAA-Tourney-now-Opening-Day/).

-----------------

Another member there says that the Developer contract with SlingMedia is what is holding up this App. But that the app is actually approved, just not in the store yet. (link) (http://www.slingcommunity.com/forum/thread/34595/Slingbox-for-iPhone-Release-date/?page=3)

jasond9263
Apr 6, 2009, 08:33 PM
I have heard the same thing from SatelliteGuys.US

http://www.satelliteguys.us/phone-zone/169240-sling-player-iphone-demo-4.html#post1768990

Also according to Scott there, the DirecTV app took over 3 weeks for it to get to the store after it was approved.

neil1980
Apr 7, 2009, 02:48 AM
Meh, although I have no major need to rush out and get this I really want to see it in the store before I rush out and get a slingbox.

Looks like going off those threads it could be another 3 weeks or so yet

camerafan1967
Apr 7, 2009, 01:47 PM
This is beyond ridiculous!

Apple needs to get there act together when it comes to looking at new apps that are submitted by large reputable companies such as "Sling"!

They get all these pathetic apps like "iVomit or iFart" approved in no time and hold back on an app that's been requested by thousands of iPhone customers!

Why don't they have different levels for app submissions and approval times.

The big developers get bumped to the top of the list!

ebrunn
Apr 7, 2009, 02:49 PM
turns on blackberry bold, connects to sling box over 3g

txwildcat
Apr 7, 2009, 05:45 PM
There are other apps that do the same thing as Sling. Orb will work and Live TV will work. Both are approve Apple APPs!

As far as the ATT side of the issue, it works on every other phone operating system except for the Iphone system!!

I carry a spare phone Blackjack II and laptop which have the Sling mobile software on them. They work great!

Please explain why not the Iphone??

Kitestring
Apr 7, 2009, 08:02 PM
Are we there yet???

I want my sling TV!

scirica
Apr 8, 2009, 11:58 AM
I received my SOLO via FedEx this morning and did the quick install. While this is basically the same box as my AV with HD inputs added, I did notice that my streaming speed has increased significantly. My AV tended to stream at around 2100kbps, and the SOLO seems to be averaging around 3400kbps (Netgear gigabit router attached direct to SOLO, PC receiving via wireless N connection).

This was setup using s-video, same as my AV, so this is one quantifiable improvement. I will try using the component pass thru later today to see if I notice any significant video improvement. Personally, with my monitor being non-HD and my mobile devices being obvious down-conversion of resolution, it may not be necessary. I would also be concerned that running the component video through the SOLO and then to my main HD viewing source could result in some minor signal degradation, which would be unacceptable to me.

All this in preparation for the release of SPM for iPhone. PLEASE APPLE AND SLING...HURRY UP ALREADY!!!

neil1980
Apr 8, 2009, 12:37 PM
Got to admit I'm very close to going out and buying a solo in preparation for the app.

I'm just trying to hold off as long as I can incase its rejected or some stupidly high price in the UK

Drumjim85
Apr 8, 2009, 12:41 PM
Got to admit I'm very close to going out and buying a solo in preparation for the app.

I'm just trying to hold off as long as I can incase its rejected or some stupidly high price in the UK

Or if the app is even in any app stores other than the US. I don't know why this would happen, but it might.
I just bought a Solo on amazon for $130 shipped.

dmk1974
Apr 8, 2009, 12:54 PM
Or if the app is even in any app stores other than the US. I don't know why this would happen, but it might.

I still don't get why this supposedly won't work with my Slingbox AV. They all use the same software on other mobile devices and laptops. Is Sling saying that NONE of those will be supported too (i don't think so, but don't get why)?

Drumjim85
Apr 8, 2009, 12:57 PM
I still don't get why this supposedly won't work with my Slingbox AV. They all use the same software on other mobile devices and laptops. Is Sling saying that NONE of those will be supported too (i don't think so, but don't get why)?

the iphone can only support h.264 video... other phone can support other formats.

dmk1974
Apr 8, 2009, 01:09 PM
the iphone can only support h.264 video... other phone can support other formats.

But as far as the Sling Box goes, is that a limitation of all of the hardware/firmware except for the SOLO and HD?

GutBomb
Apr 8, 2009, 01:45 PM
But as far as the Sling Box goes, is that a limitation of all of the hardware/firmware except for the SOLO and HD?

Yes. It's not an artificial "limitation." It is a true limitation. Older boxes don't have the capabilities to encode to modern codecs. The iphone doesn't have the capability of decoding old codecs. It's pretty simple. They are not trying to screw anyone. In fact they are offering discounted upgrades if I remember right.

Drumjim85
Apr 8, 2009, 01:54 PM
Yes. It's not an artificial "limitation." It is a true limitation. Older boxes don't have the capabilities to encode to modern codecs. The iphone doesn't have the capability of decoding old codecs. It's pretty simple. They are not trying to screw anyone. In fact they are offering discounted upgrades if I remember right.

the discounts are pointless cause you can only use them in their overpriced store. (amazon is cheaper). And when they demoed the app at macworld, both people at their booth said it would work on any sling box.

srl7741
Apr 8, 2009, 02:02 PM
turns on blackberry bold, connects to sling box over 3g

:) that's just mean.

neil1980
Apr 8, 2009, 03:35 PM

Yes that is another fear... I don't get why it wouldn't seeing as I could have had it on any of my old windows mobile phones ages back but you never know.

Cheapest I've seen the solo for in the UK is £106... quite a bit more expensive than in the US then

seattle
Apr 9, 2009, 01:17 AM

From Slingcommunity moderator:

" The Pro and Solo are NOT capable of H.264 streaming. That very point should put an end to codec speculations. Period."

I am not sure if this it true but I think that the Slingbox Pro came out before the Slingbox tuner and the Slingbox AV. The Solo is newer hardware as is the new HD model. If it works on the Pro is should work on the other models except maybe the Slingbox Classic.

Frizzle Fry
Apr 9, 2009, 07:18 AM

" The Pro and Solo are NOT capable of H.264 streaming. That very point should put an end to codec speculations. Period."

Has anyone heard any official word from Sling or Apple that the unsupported devices will not work? I think all Sling is saying that these devices are not supported, they're not saying they won't work.

There are many instances of computer hardware working with unsupported drivers, operating systems, etc., even though they are not officially supported. Think "Hackintosh," which is unsupported from top to bottom, yet is still very functional.

This is pure speculation, but I personally believe there's a good chance it will work on unsupported hardware; but if it doesn't, don't look to Sling Media for support. Until we find out for sure, let's give them the benefit of the doubt.

GutBomb
Apr 9, 2009, 09:46 AM

I am not sure if this it true but I think that the Slingbox Pro came out before the Slingbox tuner and the Slingbox AV. The Solo is newer hardware as is the new HD model. If it works on the Pro is should work on the other models except maybe the Slingbox Classic.

I never said H.264. I said modern. The older devices are streaming WMV. The iphone can not decode WMVs. The new ones stream in a more standard mpeg format. The iphone can decode the more modern non-wmv video.

Drumjim85
Apr 9, 2009, 10:04 AM
Has anyone heard any official word from Sling or Apple that the unsupported devices will not work? I think all Sling is saying that these devices are not supported, they're not saying they won't work.

As i pointed out in post #119. I think this very well might be what will end up happening. Although, a statement from Sling would help.

dmk1974
Apr 9, 2009, 10:06 AM
I went and ordered a Slingbox SOLO. I currently have a Slingbox AV and don't see any differences since the component connections don't do anything for me. Just in anticipation for use with my iPhone. Hopefully I can get a decent amount still for the AV to defray the cost.

scirica
Apr 9, 2009, 04:59 PM

The email I received directly from Sling regarding the upgrade said the following, "Upcoming products like the SlingPlayer Mobile for iPhone will only work with the Slingbox PRO, Slingbox SOLO, or Slingbox PRO-HD".

That's sounds pretty direct to me, and went ahead and purchased the SOLO this weekend.

Come on Sling, Come on Apple!!!

Metsfan7450
Apr 10, 2009, 12:31 PM
Pardon the possible stupid question, but I have no experience with Slingbox. I just purchased the Sling Solo and noticed it said that I'd need the sling mobile software for it to work on a smart phone. Is that what we're waiting for in the app store or is that something I need to purchase at a store like Best Buy? I have the Solo and just want to make sure I don't need anything else. Also, I can't figure out the difference in the PRO-HD and the Solo. I have a DirecTV DVR so I thought I'd only need the Solo.

Drumjim85
Apr 10, 2009, 12:35 PM
Pardon the possible stupid question, but I have no experience with Slingbox. I just purchased the Sling Solo and noticed it said that I'd need the sling mobile software for it to work on a smart phone. Is that what we're waiting for in the app store or is that something I need to purchase at a store like Best Buy? I have the Solo and just want to make sure I don't need anything else. Also, I can't figure out the difference in the PRO-HD and the Solo. I have a DirecTV DVR so I thought I'd only need the Solo.

Yes, we're waiting for the iphone version of the sling mobile player. And the solo is probably great for you. The Pro-HD can sling more sources (if you wanted to add a DVD player or something), and I believe it also Slings a better resolution.
So, you don't need to buy anything more at this time. You're off to a good start.

jimsowden
Apr 13, 2009, 01:46 PM
So I think it's pretty obvious at this point that any idea that the App was poised for release was bunk. I have a feeling it either got rejected for bandwidth issues, or will, and will have to go through some revisions.

KidStallyn
Apr 13, 2009, 01:55 PM
So I think it's pretty obvious at this point that any idea that the App was poised for release was bunk. I have a feeling it either got rejected for bandwidth issues, or will, and will have to go through some revisions.

You obviously have no clue as to what you are talking about.......As a person who was a beta tester for Orb in the release of the Orb Live App.......I can tell you that this is not uncommon at all with the length of time to successfully get an App approved by Apple and through to the app store.

Orb took approximately 6 weeks from submission date to inclusion. Yes, they had to go Wi-Fi at first, but within 2 days were able to add 3G streaming with an app update. They had to make a couple of minor revisions, but they were not related to streaming at all, they were geared to using different APIs.

This will happen, and the app will NOT get denied by Apple. Apple likes to run Apps through their own 3rd party testing phase so that it's more reliable app when it hits the store. They send back changes that need to be made to the vendors, and then it's up to the vendors to make any corrections, which is dependent on the software shop and what is necessary to get through their development life cycle.

gadgetfreaky
Apr 13, 2009, 01:58 PM
You obviously have no clue as to what you are talking about.......As a person who was a beta tester for Orb in the release of the Orb Live App.......I can tell you that this is not uncommon at all with the length of time to successfully get an App approved by Apple and through to the app store.

Orb took approximately 6 weeks from submission date to inclusion. Yes, they had to go Wi-Fi at first, but within 2 days were able to add 3G streaming with an app update. They had to make a couple of minor revisions, but they were not related to streaming at all, they were geared to using different APIs.

This will happen, and the app will NOT get denied by Apple. Apple likes to run Apps through their own 3rd party testing phase so that it's more reliable app when it hits the store. They send back changes that need to be made to the vendors, and then it's up to the vendors to make any corrections, which is dependent on the software shop and what is necessary to get through their development life cycle.

Kidstalin. I've seen you on a bunch of boards--stop talking to people so nastily. nobody wants to read it. Nobody knows what's happening unless they are in charge of release tha app and its all speculation so stop being so obnoxious to people on internet bulletin boards.

fishkorp
Apr 13, 2009, 02:00 PM

Um, I have an app that's been in the review queue longer than Sling and all it streams is simple audio. Apps as complex and bandwidth intensive as the Sling app take plenty of time to review and check. Apple can't half-ass the review process just because it's an anticipated app. You were fooling yourself if you thought it would seriously be approved in a week. I fully expect 1-2 months of review time based on my own personal experience in app reviews for anything that uses any decent amount of bandwidth or network connection.

KidStallyn
Apr 13, 2009, 04:18 PM
Kidstalin. I've seen you on a bunch of boards--stop talking to people so nastily. nobody wants to read it. Nobody knows what's happening unless they are in charge of release tha app and its all speculation so stop being so obnoxious to people on internet bulletin boards.

Jeeze...what are you stalking me.....aren't you the guy on Sling Community that hates apple and everything is stands for, who has said this app will never happen. I think I'm going to have to get a restraining order against you for crying out loud.....

dmk1974
Apr 13, 2009, 07:18 PM
Well, my Slingbox SOLO was delivered today and I am setting it up right now. All I need is the app for my iPhone. C'mon Apple! Even if it's just WiFi to start, I'd be happy with that (to start).

rolex54
Apr 13, 2009, 07:49 PM
Um, I have an app that's been in the review queue longer than Sling and all it streams is simple audio. Apps as complex and bandwidth intensive as the Sling app take plenty of time to review and check. Apple can't half-ass the review process just because it's an anticipated app. You were fooling yourself if you thought it would seriously be approved in a week. I fully expect 1-2 months of review time based on my own personal experience in app reviews for anything that uses any decent amount of bandwidth or network connection.
I think people were expecting less time because apple has stated that 90% of apps are approved in 7 days or less
the slingplayer app obviously doesn't fall into this 90%.

camerafan1967
Apr 14, 2009, 10:16 AM
I thought Apple does this process in 7 days or less?

Drumjim85
Apr 14, 2009, 10:21 AM
I thought Apple does this process in 7 days or less?

they do %90 of them in 7 days or less. but then again, apps like ifart aren't very indepth.

camerafan1967
Apr 14, 2009, 12:18 PM
they do %90 of them in 7 days or less. but then again, apps like ifart aren't very indepth.

but a lot of fun! ;)

B2k1977
Apr 14, 2009, 01:09 PM

Yea so the paragraph I pasted below straight from the slingmedia.com website, should clear up this whole thing about which boxes work and which ones don't. According to this, the Pro will work.

"Current Slingbox functionality will not be affected if you choose not to upgrade, but software like SlingPlayer Mobile for iPhone and future services yet to be announced will only be supported for customers using Slingbox SOLO, Slingbox PRO and Slingbox PRO-HD products or forthcoming SlingLoaded products"

Sean7512
Apr 14, 2009, 06:45 PM
It was submitted in late March, has anyone heard anything regarding it?

Drumjim85
Apr 14, 2009, 06:48 PM
nope, still waiting.

the end.

FearlessFreep
Apr 14, 2009, 08:15 PM
IF it's approved, you won't see it until 3.0 is released.

Drumjim85
Apr 14, 2009, 08:17 PM

quit stating opinions as fact.

docal97
Apr 15, 2009, 06:57 PM
[QUOTE=KidStallyn;7455603]You obviously have no clue as to what you are talking about.......As a person who was a beta tester for Orb in the release of the Orb Live App.......I can tell you that this is not uncommon at all with the length of time to successfully get an App approved by Apple and through to the app store.

Do you know how to speak/type to others? I mean, how rude could your comments have possibly been towards another forum member? He expresses a common sentiment around here, including my own. You were not a beta tester for sling, and apparently do not work for Apple either. So all you are really doing is expressing your own opinions with respect to the Sling Player for Iphone.

I am certainly not the moderator of this forum, but a little decorum and decency towards others would be appreciated by all.

fishkorp
Apr 15, 2009, 07:16 PM

What possible reason would there be for that? You can't submit an app for 3.0, iTunes Connect would let you.

BigHonkingDeal
Apr 15, 2009, 07:59 PM
I can hardly wait myself for the software to finally show up in the iTunes store :-)

Did some 3G speed testing tonight.... I tethered my iMac to the iPhone 3G (software 3.0 Beta 3) and fired up the sling player. Works like a charm!

Connection speed is definitely not a problem....

aznkid25
Apr 15, 2009, 08:02 PM
http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2009/04/15/slingplayer-for-iphone-rejected-at-atts-request/

Anijake
Apr 15, 2009, 08:20 PM
Some feared it might happen, others thought it would pass with flying colors, but unfortunately we’ve got a tip that sheds some light on the situation. This was from an anonymous tipster and we’re posting it for information sake. We’ve already reached out to Sling Media PR, so in the meantime, while we wait, here’s what we’ve been told:

The application (SlingPlayer for iPhone) conformed to every single Apple guideline for applications and user interfaces, etc. The reason it was denied (actually denied today if our tipster is to be believed) was because of an executive decision on Apple’s end. AT&T had asked that the app be rejected due to worries about bandwidth consumption (this doesn’t make too much sense given that other devices has been using SlingPlayer Mobile for a long time…).

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2009/04/15/slingplayer-for-iphone-rejected-at-atts-request/

srl7741
Apr 15, 2009, 08:31 PM
He updated the post with the below text:

UPDATE: Sling says that they “have had no word from Apple.” Yay!

Maybe this is good news? I hope so.

richmonddjs
Apr 15, 2009, 09:22 PM
I hate to say it but I bet it's not gonna pass..... I'd be one of the first thousand or so to buy the app......but I'm not getting my hopes up.

COmacconvert
Apr 15, 2009, 09:31 PM
Bah....check the link again, the tip was bogus. Straight from the horse's mouth.

hippo206
Apr 15, 2009, 09:35 PM
Seems like another bogus boygenius rumor.

Vandam500
Apr 15, 2009, 09:44 PM
I want this so bad

dav15mac
Apr 16, 2009, 09:23 AM
I'm very upset right now!!! :mad:

SlingPlayer for iPhone: Another One Bites The Dust?

Daniel Ionescu

Apr 16, 2009 8:44 am

SlingPlayer appears to be the latest victim in the never-ending saga of iPhone apps banned from the App Store. Reports this morning say that, at AT&T's request, Apple has made an executive decision to stop SlingPlayer from getting into the Apple App Store.

SlingPlayer for iPhone, firstly introduced this January at Macworld Expo, conformed to Apple's guidelines for user interface. But with the iPhone crowd already clogging AT&T's data network, BoyGenius reports that the wireless carrier asked Apple to reject the SlingPlayer for iPhone application from its store.

Sling says they had no word from Apple yet on the status of their iPhone app, and their website still mentions they've "submitted the first release of our application to the iPhone App Store."

If AT&T actually asked Apple not to approve SlingPlayer for iPhone because of the potential use of large amounts of bandwidth, then the app might have to take the same route as Skype for iPhone, which allows placing calls only via WiFi. If a modified version of SlingPlayer will allow viewing only through WiFi, then it might actually make it in the App Store.

Meanwhile, another possible reason for SlingPlayer's ban from the App Store could be AT&T's speculated plans for its own mobile video services. The wireless carrier silently changed its terms of service at the end of March, basically prohibiting services like Sling is offering from its network.

But if AT&T won't get to keep its exclusivity with the iPhone, maybe this kind of won't happen anymore. That would allow users a bit more freedom with which apps they can get on their phone and how they actually use their (already capped) mobile Internet.

You can follow Daniel on Twitter @danielionescu :mad::mad::mad:

camerafan1967
Apr 16, 2009, 09:32 AM

Daniel Ionescu

SlingPlayer appears to be the latest victim in the never-ending saga of iPhone apps banned from the App Store. Reports this morning say that, at AT&T's request, Apple has made an executive decision to stop SlingPlayer from getting into the Apple App Store.

SlingPlayer for iPhone, firstly introduced this January at Macworld Expo, conformed to Apple's guidelines for user interface. But with the iPhone crowd already clogging AT&T's data network, BoyGenius reports that the wireless carrier asked Apple to reject the SlingPlayer for iPhone application from its store.

Sling says they had no word from Apple yet on the status of their iPhone app, and their website still mentions they've "submitted the first release of our application to the iPhone App Store."

If AT&T actually asked Apple not to approve SlingPlayer for iPhone because of the potential use of large amounts of bandwidth, then the app might have to take the same route as Skype for iPhone, which allows placing calls only via WiFi. If a modified version of SlingPlayer will allow viewing only through WiFi, then it might actually make it in the App Store.

Meanwhile, another possible reason for SlingPlayer's ban from the App Store could be AT&T's speculated plans for its own mobile video services. The wireless carrier silently changed its terms of service at the end of March, basically prohibiting services like Sling is offering from its network.

But if AT&T won't get to keep its exclusivity with the iPhone, maybe this kind of won't happen anymore. That would allow users a bit more freedom with which apps they can get on their phone and how they actually use their (already capped) mobile Internet.

And this information is from where?

fishkorp
Apr 16, 2009, 09:35 AM

Daniel Ionescu

A rep from Sling denied that report and said they have heard nothing from Apple yet on the app.

ebrunn
Apr 16, 2009, 09:35 AM
I am watching my Slingbox on my Blackberry Bold over ATT 3g right now. iPhone users are getting ripped off.

camerafan1967
Apr 16, 2009, 09:48 AM
I am watching my Slingbox on my Blackberry Bold over ATT 3g right now. iPhone users are getting ripped off.

See, that's what I just don't get if it is rejected by AT&T.

How can it be OK on one phone but not on another?

gadgetfreaky
Apr 16, 2009, 09:52 AM
See, that's what I just don't get if it is rejected by AT&T.

How can it be OK on one phone but not on another?
Specifically, in one case ATT has influence and control because Apple uses an App store to control which apps can go on or not. Other vendors don't havt that. so the process is very political because ATT can play games.

Also ATT does not like Dish which owns Sling now.

That said, while I think ATT threatened to block it at several points, I don't believe this rumor. Why would sling not get this cleared before doing all the work on the app?

the worst case is its just usable on Wifi only. In that instance, its pretty much a worthless application.

camerafan1967
Apr 16, 2009, 09:57 AM
the worst case is its just usable on Wifi only. In that instance, its pretty much a worthless application.

Totally worthless!

dmk1974
Apr 16, 2009, 09:59 AM
So how can an app like Orb go through but not Sling Player? They both can stream TV! Plus, AT&T allows Sling Player on other smart phones. Seems to me, the holdup would be Apple, not AT&T.

gadgetfreaky
Apr 16, 2009, 10:03 AM
So how can an app like Orb go through but not Sling Player? They both can stream TV! Plus, AT&T allows Sling Player on other smart phones. Seems to me, the holdup would be Apple, not AT&T.

Well other applications on other devices don't use the App store so the process doesn't get so political. AT&T already tried to change its TOS to block these types of apps--you think they aren't talking to apple about it?

As for why Orb and not Sling. Like I said, Sling is now owned by Dish--and Dish and ATT have a contentious relationship.

I think the app gets approved and the rumor is bogacity however it is probably wifi only which makes it worthless.

dmk1974
Apr 16, 2009, 10:08 AM
Well other applications on other devices don't use the App store so the process doesn't get so political. AT&T already tried to change its TOS to block these types of apps--you think they aren't talking to apple about it?

As for why Orb and not Sling. Like I said, Sling is now owned by Dish--and Dish and ATT have a contentious relationship.

I think the app gets approved and the rumor is bogacity however it is probably wifi only which makes it worthless.

If it were to be WiFi only, I agree, that does take away from 90% of the appeal. However, for me, I can still use it if I'm at an airport (most) or even at work (until it gets blocked).

richmonddjs
Apr 16, 2009, 10:33 AM
well, if this doesn't go through I guess I'll have to get the video card for orb. My cable modem is right at my computer anyway so all I'd have to do is just put a splitter on the cable.

tsavarese
Apr 16, 2009, 10:47 AM
If this app gets denied for any reason other than program flaws or compliancy issues then I will have to sell my IPhone and move back to another platform.

camerafan1967
Apr 16, 2009, 10:56 AM
well, if this doesn't go through I guess I'll have to get the video card for orb. My cable modem is right at my computer anyway so all I'd have to do is just put a splitter on the cable.

Yeah, good luck with that one! It's been a total pain for me to get it right. One day it works, the next it dose'nt.

I gave up on Orb months back!

hippo206
Apr 16, 2009, 11:14 AM
Lets wait for offical word before people start doing the "zOmg... throw your iphone at the AT&T building!!!"

If the app gets rejected, then the nice thing will be a extremely large community will hear about it... and it might bring some kind of awareness to the major flaw of the iphone. Personally, I would buy it even if it were on wifi only, but that would extremely limit it's usefullness. lol, I'd actually consider jailbreaking if it meant I could use it over 3G.

dav15mac
Apr 16, 2009, 02:51 PM
And this information is from where?

http://www.pcworld.com/article/163225/slingplayer_for_iphone_another_one_bites_the_dust.html

jimsowden
Apr 16, 2009, 05:04 PM
You obviously have no clue as to what you are talking about.......

I think you're ignorant of the fact that this is an app people might actually care about. And Apple say they approve 96% of the apps submitted in 2 weeks, 98% of those in under 7 days. Unless you think they're lying about the stats, I think you don't really have a clue.

And what a shock that AppleInsider posted an article stating the same theory that it's a bandwidth issue, and they're pushing Apple tell Sling to change the app.

Who the hell even cares to be so pretentious on the internet? Walk out of the basement and talk to someone like that if you think it's so great MR BETA TESTER

scirica
Apr 17, 2009, 02:08 AM
Some feared it might happen, others thought it would pass with flying colors, but unfortunately we’ve got a tip that sheds some light on the situation. This was from an anonymous tipster and we’re posting it for information sake. We’ve already reached out to Sling Media PR, so in the meantime, while we wait, here’s what we’ve been told:

The application (SlingPlayer for iPhone) conformed to every single Apple guideline for applications and user interfaces, etc. The reason it was denied (actually denied today if our tipster is to be believed) was because of an executive decision on Apple’s end. AT&T had asked that the app be rejected due to worries about bandwidth consumption (this doesn’t make too much sense given that other devices has been using SlingPlayer Mobile for a long time…).

This is all speculation and a load of crap. You know nothing boygenius!