PDA

View Full Version : 802.11g card on older Powerbook

Alan_Arkin
Apr 13, 2004, 12:53 PM
I have a Powerbook 15 inch, 800 mhz with an airport card. I am planning on upgrading my wireless network to 802.11g. I want to put a 802.11g card in my Powerbook and buy a new 802.11g router (Right now, I have my airport base station plugged into a Linksys non-wireless router). Here are my questions -- I assume this can be accomplished, but will any 802.11g card work. I would like to use a Netgear card, but the person at the store didn't know whether it would work in a Mac. I have seen a card the Sonnet Aria Extreme, which says it works on a Mac, but am unfamiliar with the brand and can more easily pick up a Netgear card. Also, I recall something about older Powerbooks not having the bandwith to handle an 802.11g signal and therefore it would likely only achieve 802.11b speeds. Is this true? Do the 802.11g cards overcome this problem? Lastly, will I have to remove the existing airport card from my computer? Thanks in advance.

pncc
Apr 13, 2004, 01:59 PM
I have the 400MHz G4 Powerbook and use an Asante 802.11g card all the time and it works great. Any card that uses the Broadcom chipset will work under OS X and AirPort software. I don't know what chip the Netgear card uses. I think you need to remove the internal Airport card to use the PC card. You can't use both at the same time. The software would get schizophrenic.