Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shaunb83

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 11, 2008
Just curious as to whether I am missing something obvious, or whether it is off to the Applestore.

Put my late 2007 macbook pro to sleep when left work. Got home, opened up Macbook pro - no picture came up. Odd. Could hear fans whirring, light on front glowing.

Forced shutdown, restart. Nothing.

Reset PRAM. Nothing.

Reset SMC. Nothing.

I can login (blindly), and see my computer over the network, and move files etc., can access hard drive via Firewire Target mode.

Have tried booting from system disk - can hear disk whirring etc., but no picture.

I assume this means the backlight or display are gone? Is this diagnosis likely correct? Is there something I am missing here? I don't have an external display at home, otherwise I'd plug that in to doublecheck.

Cheers

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Something has failed, either the backlight or the display itself. When you said you put it to sleep, I automatically thought SMC but you reset it to no avail. Maybe the ribbon became disconnected or something but this will definitely require you to have a Genius take a look at it. Hopefully it's nothing too major seeing how it was working and suddenly stopped working.

shaunb83

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 11, 2008
Update

Just remembered that I do have an old DVI connector for my TV.

Plugged that in - no picture, where normally I would have one.

What does this mean - graphics card or logic board problem???

I have applecare, but am curious to know how long I am going to be out of action....

sp3ctre

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2008
Harrogate, UK
Just remembered that I do have an old DVI connector for my TV.

Plugged that in - no picture, where normally I would have one.

What does this mean - graphics card or logic board problem???

I have applecare, but am curious to know how long I am going to be out of action....

I have the same problem... turn it off, wait a few seconds, let it boot for a few seconds, turn it off... keep doing this 8 or 9 times and if it is like mine it will eventually turn on... no idea what is causing it though. It did this once before but seemed to "fix itself".

For me it makes no difference if I put the laptop to sleep or shut it down properly, same issue. Always takes 8 or 9 tried to get the display to come on.

Last time it did this was a year ago, I have had the display changed since then. I am thinking it may be the logic board.

Let us know if my theory is correct. I think mine is going in sometime next week.

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Logic board or video card, almost the same thing. It seems like something is not working and would not be worth it to try to troubleshoot it yourself. Since you have AppleCare just take to an Apple Store or call up AppleCare to setup a repair.

jjahshik32

macrumors 603
Sep 4, 2006
No display, DVI no working but everything else is working on your mbp. This is a faulty Nvidia gpu issue. I'm assuming it has the 8600m gt on the 07 models as well. It should be covered by apple for the nvidia gpu issue.

shaunb83

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 11, 2008
update

Thanks to all those for feedback.

Dropped it into Apple Store friday morning - they diagnosed faulty GPU, and had it repaired the same day under applecare.

Glad to have applecare - wouldn't care to know what the cost is otherwise.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.