Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eemme

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 27, 2009
I have a Intel Mini Core 2 Duo (1.8x Ghz)

I broke the bluetooth antennae connector inside the case while upgrading the memory. My BT keyboard and mouse continues to work, but only with the case open, and when they are very close to the computer.

I have located a replacment bluetooth board, but before I spent any mulah to fix the problem, I am wondering if it would be possible to just use a Dlink BT 120 USB device that I already own.

From what I can tell this particular device is one of a few that will specifically work with Macs. In reading it sounds like it should work without any needed drivers.

I am relatively new to Macs, so the process for getting things working is a little fuzzy. I've tried to google this, but haven't found any specific help.

When I plug in the Dlink, the connection to the onboard BT stops working with the existing keyboard and mouse. There is not any obvious signs that the Dlink is doing anything (no windows pop up to state it is connected etc, and there is not anything new listed in the BT sys pref pane). It seems to me that the two BT devices are fighting with each other, and I don't know how to make them play nice.

I did download the apple BT firmware updater, which I believe is needed to convert the Dlink over to a mac friendly firmware. I ran the updater with the Dlink plugged in, and it seemed to run fine, but I guess I wouldn't know which BT device it was trying to update...

Anyway, if there is a guru out there that can help me get the Dlink working... I am all ears.

Thanks in advance.

EE

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
What's the model of the D-Link adaptor. If it's OS X friendly, there should be no reason for it not to work, all you would need to do is disable the Bluetooth on the Mac and the D-Link would automatically act as the default Bluetooth service.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.