Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johnm23357

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 27, 2009
Greetings all. I am trying to write a program for a MAC keyboard emulator. This is usually an assistive device where the computers keyboard is not available only the mouse or joystick. A window with key buttons floats on top of other applications on the screen and the user can type into a text document by pressing the keys (buttons) with the mouse. A similar Keyboard emulator is part of the Windows OS.

To date the program works fine and there is only one issue. Keys F1-F7 and F11 do not generate the typical key codes, Apple reassigned them to specific functions like dimming the display and turning up/down the Audio. I have searched my disk (USERS/LIBRARY) and can't find where the programs that are being run may reside, also there doesn't seem to be any documentaiton by Apple on them.

Any help will be appreciated.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Greetings all. I am trying to write a program for a MAC keyboard emulator. This is usually an assistive device where the computers keyboard is not available only the mouse or joystick. A window with key buttons floats on top of other applications on the screen and the user can type into a text document by pressing the keys (buttons) with the mouse. A similar Keyboard emulator is part of the Windows OS.

To date the program works fine and there is only one issue. Keys F1-F7 and F11 do not generate the typical key codes, Apple reassigned them to specific functions like dimming the display and turning up/down the Audio. I have searched my disk (USERS/LIBRARY) and can't find where the programs that are being run may reside, also there doesn't seem to be any documentaiton by Apple on them.

Any help will be appreciated.

From memory: Either http://www.theregister.com or http://www.theinquirer.net has a series of articles about MacOS X programming, and one article was exactly about this subject. You'll have to do some searching.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.