PDA

View Full Version : Wifi reception on 8 year old G4 PWNS all others it seems

gr8gatzby
Mar 27, 2009, 05:01 PM
So i resurrected my old DP G4/450/768/10.4 and strangely, it shows 30% more wireless networks than my Mac Pro/Dual Xeon/4gb/10.5 and both HP Laptops running Vista. The G4 has an internal Airport card(i forgot about them there days!). Of course the Airport card knows nothing of WPA encryption and have to disable security to connect. It amazes me that the reception is so much better in this legacy machine.

MacVidCards
Mar 27, 2009, 05:18 PM
Remember it is using the "G" standard, no the "b" or "n" ones. (or is it "b" and not "g"?)

Yeah, my Quad 2.6 is middling to average in signal strength.

However, my Macbook C2D 2.16 KICKS BUTT.

My 2nd has a G4 powerbook, and frequently he will have to use my machine to get online when we are out somewhere, as I will have 3 times as many options.

I have another friend with a earlier Macbook that also doesn't get as many networks as my Macbook.

Glad to see someone still running a G4. Loved them "back in the day"

CubeHacker
Mar 27, 2009, 10:59 PM
So i resurrected my old DP G4/450/768/10.4 and strangely, it shows 30% more wireless networks than my Mac Pro/Dual Xeon/4gb/10.5 and both HP Laptops running Vista. The G4 has an internal Airport card(i forgot about them there days!). Of course the Airport card knows nothing of WPA encryption and have to disable security to connect. It amazes me that the reception is so much better in this legacy machine.

Just FYI, the original airport connects to WPA networks just fine. However, it does NOT support WPA2 networks.

aaron11193
Mar 27, 2009, 11:12 PM
The difference in wifi reception could be partly because of the OS the computers are running.

On my Toshiba Portege M200, I boot into Xubuntu and get full signal on the wifi network in my school dorm, but when I reboot into XP it shows up as Very Low - Low.

People that have MacBooks in my dorm seem to get full signal aswell.

jjahshik32
Mar 27, 2009, 11:28 PM
A Mac Pro shouldnt be using wifi!! I think thats absurd! You have to feed the BEAST as much bandwidth as you can and thats ethernet!!

Ethernet is so much faster! Dont starve the BEAST!!!

Lord Blackadder
Mar 27, 2009, 11:30 PM
I have my Powser Mac G4 "Digital Audio" on my home Wifi (WPA) using an original Airport 802.11b card. I must say, it does have excellent reception. Especially when compared to the horrible reception my PowerBook G4 gets. :o