PDA

View Full Version : Listen to phone conversations using Apple 56k modem V. .92

cjc343
Apr 13, 2004, 09:28 PM
So, a few tricks, and a few questions.

I was connecting to the internet (or trying) using my 56k modem while travelling. I didn't know it at the time, but someone was using the line I was trying to use.

For a few seconds, I heard their conversation, and after quick research, typed the phone number to dial as 1(repeated commas.... as many as possible) the commas made it pause for 1 second for every comma.

I was able to listen for about 20 seconds, and then it would disconnect.

Question 1: Can I listen for longer, if so, how?

Question 2: Using Audio Hijack, can I record conversations.

I am not using this for malicious purposes, and would advise you not to either. I would be using it primarily to record phone calls I wanted to save (after notifying the person on the other end that they were being recorded).

Thanks in advance.

cjc

Spock
Apr 13, 2004, 09:41 PM
Nevermind

wHo_tHe
Apr 13, 2004, 09:52 PM
Just so you know, this thread is being monitored for training purposes.

You can issue ATxx-style commands to the modem if you use a program like ZTerm. You're basically asking the modem to open the line and turn on the speaker. Maybe ATH0L2 (AT - get the modem's attention; H0 - obtain carrier; L2 - speaker volume middle).

Don't do anything John Ashcroft wouldn't do. I mean would do. Whatever.

Grimace
Apr 13, 2004, 09:55 PM
you may want to check the legality of recording phone conversations. Even if they are your own, I still think it is against the law.

cjc343
Apr 14, 2004, 01:02 PM
you may want to check the legality of recording phone conversations. Even if they are your own, I still think it is against the law.

I have checked the legality, it is legal if you notify the person who you are talking to that you are recording the conversation and warn them that if they don't want to have the conversation recorded they should hang up now. Check your own local laws before you do this.

If there IS a way to record conversations, I would be recording telemarketer conversations. I still get WAY too many telemarketers calling.

wHo_tHe: Thank you for the program reccommendation, I will try using that.