Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Got my new iMac on 12th and after 2 days of use I discovered a stuck pixel. Tried to fix it but it didn't help. Called to Apple and got it replaced. It came yesterday and 2 hours after, 1 dead and 3 stuck pixels!!! This isn't acceptable anymore. I'm asking what should I do. New replacement takes another week to come. The quality sucks. It took 2 years for me to get money for this thing and only thing that I've got from it is headache and problems.

What you guys suggest me to do. Does refurbs have these kinda problems? I'm really mad now...

Zmmin3

macrumors regular
Feb 20, 2009
Dont even get me started about refurbs...my current opinion of them they are crap :rolleyes:
I am currently on my 3rd exchanged refurb which is also being returned.

suburbia

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2008
Sorry to hear about that. The quality of Apple's products and its quality control definitely is not like it was back in the early part of the decade.

Definitely return the last one and be sure to bring attention to those dead pixels, otherwise they'll charge you a restocking fee. If you can purchase directly from an Apple store where you can ask to check for dead pixels, that would be highly recommended. And buying refurbished is also highly recommended, since the chances of dead pixels may be less because they've been (hopefully) double-checked.

Good luck.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
What I meant is that, did previous gen models have stuck/dead pixel issues? I'll call Apple day after tomorrow and see what they can do about it. I want at least iPod or better Mac for free. If they don't, I'll go back to PC world and build me a Hackintosh.

aprofetto

macrumors 6502a
Dec 19, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
You'd return it for one stuck pixel?

Wow.

Depending on the severity of the stuck pixel, I would too. If it was just off to the side and not really bothering me I wouldn't mind. But if its stuck dead center of the screen and shines bright read on a black background, it would eat me alive. Infact, I had this problem on my old iMac, and because I knew it was there, it was 10 times worse.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Dec 10, 2008
Finland

Wow.

No restocking fee here in Finland and I paid for good quality but got worst.

Sorry to hear about that. The quality of Apple's products and its quality control definitely is not like it was back in the early part of the decade.

Definitely return the last one and be sure to bring attention to those dead pixels, otherwise they'll charge you a restocking fee. If you can purchase directly from an Apple store where you can ask to check for dead pixels, that would be highly recommended. And buying refurbished is also highly recommended, since the chances of dead pixels may be less because they've been (hopefully) double-checked.

Good luck.

No restocking fee here fortunately.

Zmmin3

macrumors regular
Feb 20, 2009
And buying refurbished is also highly recommended, since the chances of dead pixels may be less because they've been (hopefully) double-checked.

Good luck.

I am on my 3rd exchanged refurb currently and right now I am advising against buying one.

NorCalLights

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2006
At the risk of feeding the trolls...

All LCD screens can have stuck pixels... this isn't something unique to Apple products. You think your computer is expensive now? Imagine how expensive it would be if Apple forced its suppliers to supply only panels with zero bad pixels.

If it makes you upset, just return it. Don't think that demanding an iPod is going to solve the problem.

VoodooDaddy

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2003
I have a ton of dead pixels. Oh wait, thats just my wallpaper.

Attachments

• Picture 4.png
    Picture 4.png
    65.6 KB · Views: 65

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008

Wow.

I sure as hell would too. I dont care if their are scuffs and scratches on my aluminum, but if the screen (the link between user and hardware) is flawed, thats beyond acceptable to me.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
At the risk of feeding the trolls...

All LCD screens can have stuck pixels... this isn't something unique to Apple products. You think your computer is expensive now? Imagine how expensive it would be if Apple forced its suppliers to supply only panels with zero bad pixels.

If it makes you upset, just return it. Don't think that demanding an iPod is going to solve the problem.

iPod thing was too much I admit that. Do you think that it's cheaper that customers sends 'em back and are not happy for what they get? I think it isn't. This isn't a rare problem anymore if you read some threads.

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
iPod thing was too much I admit that. Do you think that it's cheaper that customers sends 'em back and are not happy for what they get? I think it isn't. This isn't a rare problem anymore if you read some threads.

Yeah it isn't a rare problem. Some displays are going to have dead pixels again, not unique to Apple. If you have dead pixels, go and exchange/return, Apple will gladly replace it for you. When people post about dead pixels, they give the impression like "oh man, this is such a defect, Apple QA needs to get their s--- straight". I wouldn't say it's "normal" but it definitely isn't something to really complain about since this could happen.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Yeah it isn't a rare problem. Some displays are going to have dead pixels again, not unique to Apple. If you have dead pixels, go and exchange/return, Apple will gladly replace it for you. When people post about dead pixels, they give the impression like "oh man, this is such a defect, Apple QA needs to get their s--- straight". I wouldn't say it's "normal" but it definitely isn't something to really complain about since this could happen.

I know it can happen again and again, but how normal it is that you take it out of the box and it happens two times in a row. I accept 'em like a year after but not when I take it out of the ****ing box! Apple should do something for this problem

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
I know it can happen again and again, but how normal it is that you take it out of the box and it happens two times in a row. I accept 'em like a year after but not when I take it out of the ****ing box! Apple should do something for this problem

Apple doesn't manufacture the screens. ALL companies that make screens have lemons, period. You're just incredibly unlucky.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Apple doesn't manufacture the screens. ALL companies that make screens have lemons, period. You're just incredibly unlucky.

That post made me kinda happy. The possibility that the 3rd one will have 'em is ridiculously small.

bchreng

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2005

That's the sad truth. The only choice you have is to keep exchanging until you get one that doesn't have the dead/stuck pixels. I tried buying a PSP when it was first released and all the ones I had had 3-5 dead/stuck pixels on them. After going through 4 exchanges, I gave up and returned the darn thing for a refund.

Beerfloat

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2009
Have you considered a Mini with dual screens? Then when one happens to be faulty you at least have a usable computer while you wait for a replacement ;)

Yeah I just loathe all in one computers

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario

Agreed. I went through 3 MBP's before I landed one that was "perfect". Yeah we know Apple charges insane prices and they advertise that their products are above all but we're dealing with technology here where things are likely to go wrong. Sure once, it's by accident. Maybe you're ok with 2 but when you get three it gets ridiculous. You can't assume just because you dropped $2000 for a computer that nothing can go wrong. It's not like Apple is going to decline your exchange. So it's up to you, do you want to get another Apple computer or just get a refund and go back to a PC? Ultimately you will get a computer that meets your spec so bringing up money shouldn't be discussed.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
One question. Do I still have 14 days to return it or is it a warranty issue now? I'm giving one more chance to Apple. If they can't build working computers, I'll build a Hackintosh for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.