Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zer0tails

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 23, 2008
Canada
hello..question for the tech whizzes. Is the 2008 MBP 2.5, with the nvidia 8600 still a powerhouse for graphics and multitasking work? I'll need a machine with stability that I can use for work for the next 3 years or life of Apple care.

Just wondering since..Apple's announcement of 8GB RAM for the unibody MBP and the impending release of snow leopard makes me wonder if SL will be more ram hungry and future apps than the MBP Classic can handle.

appreciate your thoughts :)

capriseyhaze

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2009
florida
Yes its more than capible its still a premire machine. 4gb is more than enough to handel anything you throw at. Present and future. But that 8600 might be a liability because there suppose to be faulty but apple will replace if anything goes wrong

zer0tails

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 23, 2008
Canada
the truth is I need a matte screen. But the unibodies don't offer it unless i go up to the 17" which I am considering. But having never owned a 17" i'm not sure how portable it is...

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Very much capable the only potential caveat is the 8600 and since you'll have AppleCare then you have nothing to worry about

The unibodies are only about 10-15% faster, if that.

The only way you'll notice a difference is if you get a 2.93CPU, 8GB RAM and the 256 SSD. All other specs/models pretty much have negligible performance increases

zer0tails

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 23, 2008
Canada
Very much capable the only potential caveat is the 8600 and since you'll have AppleCare then you have nothing to worry about

The unibodies are only about 10-15% faster, if that.

The only way you'll notice a difference is if you get a 2.93CPU, 8GB RAM and the 256 SSD. All other specs/models pretty much have negligible performance increases

that'll be crazy expensive! :p Whilst cheaper..at the current price points..my wallet still isn't ready for SSD.

I will probably go with 2.93ghz, 4gb ram, 329gb 7200 rpm HD.MATTE SCREEN.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Daneoni is right.

A new unibody model isn't better because of the overall speed. Considering only the speed of the machines, an older model MBP is far better value. However, what you lose out on is the ease of upgradeability of the harddisk, the slightly brighter screen, and I guess that's it.

The small technical differences like DDR3 RAM, and an 8600m GT versus 9600m GT (one is just clocked sliiiightly faster than the other) aren't very consequential. Some of the 8600M graphics cards have failed due to poor choices in materials used, but with AppleCare, they'll replace it for you for as long as you have AppleCare (and maybe longer?), and after 3 years, perhaps there may even be a 15" matte screen option. ;)

The Flashing Fi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2007
I guess it depends on what you call a "powerhouse," because truth be told, the 8600M GT is hardly considered a powerful video card. It's a mid range mobile video card. It's not high end or anything and it has never been high end. But it all depends on what you plan to do with the video card though.

iShater

macrumors 604
Aug 13, 2002
Chicagoland
That's my current main machine, and the only thing I am maxing out is the 2GB of RAM it came with. Other than that, no issues as a primary work horse.

sparkie7

macrumors 68020
Oct 17, 2008
The all alum MBP 17 still rocks. i bought it over the UMBP after it was announced. its got a better feature set (the classic) with full DVI port, FW 400,800, better keyboard etc.. I got the CTO with SSD and hi-res Matte screen, then upgraded it to 6GB RAM, works no problems.

the full DVI port allows me to hook up my 30" ACD without using dodgy mini-display port adapters and costing you another 100 bucks for the privilege to talk to apple about an RMA with all the hassles involved

personally i think apart from the all in one piece and easy access to drives, the new UMBP design sucks

jackiecanev2

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2007
The pre-uni machine is still more than capable for running SL. It kills the current stock versions of the MB/MBA, so I think you'll be fine.

That said, theres always techrestore's matte option for the new unibody MBP. Real matte screen replacement, not film. Review from macworld here. Just something else to think about.

zer0tails

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 23, 2008
Canada
Update: Got tired of waiting for a refurb classic MBP to show up on Apple.ca so i went and purchased the Apple student developer membership in preparation for buying one of the unibodies. Have to buy soon with 2 months as I'm graduating yay :)

Been reading as many reviews/threads on macrumors as I could on deciding whether the 17" matte unibody MBP is right for me. As yet undecided because i am unsure of its portability. I'm no wimp and can handle 3 kg easily but if i'm going to be toting it everywhere as my mobile battle station..i just want to make sure it's the right gear.

pyromaniaque

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2008
Well..Ask your mother.
Update: Got tired of waiting for a refurb classic MBP to show up on Apple.ca so i went and purchased the Apple student developer membership in preparation for buying one of the unibodies. Have to buy soon with 2 months as I'm graduating yay :)

Been reading as many reviews/threads on macrumors as I could on deciding whether the 17" matte unibody MBP is right for me. As yet undecided because i am unsure of its portability. I'm no wimp and can handle 3 kg easily but if i'm going to be toting it everywhere as my mobile battle station..i just want to make sure it's the right gear.
I ordered one. It's in. I didn't want to spend that much money, but I chose to in the end. You feel it. But it isn't heavy at all. It's width MAY shock you. A little bit wider than other 17" notebooks I've seen.

sparkie7

macrumors 68020
Oct 17, 2008

size (17) is no problem for me. toting it around all day and everywhere can start to wear on your shoulder. but if you take it from a to b and back then its doable. you will appreciate the extra screen real estate the 17 gives you

cathyy

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2008
It's still more than capable, and will be for some time. There hasn't been much improvements since the first SR MBPs came out. The difference in performance between Penryn and Merom processors is barely noticeable. The 9600M GT is pretty much the same as the 8600M GT except it has a few million more transistors and is on a smaller die.

I honestly doubt there's going to be any serious technological boosts for the MBPs for at least another year. There's no way Apple would put in a mobile-Nehalem CPU due to the heat and power constraints. Furthermore, Nvidia keeps rebranding their cards instead of coming out with new technology. Unless Apple decides to swap to ATI (which is a possibility), your 8600M GT will still be pretty comparable to the Nvidia's newest mainstream card, the G130M.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.