View Full Version : PowerBook G4 no longer booting up

dbowlin17
Mar 28, 2009, 06:12 PM
I have a PowerBook G4.
It is 12 inches.
1.5Ghz PowerPC G4 processor
512MB DDR SDRAM
60GB 5400-rpm hard drive

I know very very little about computer parts and things like that, but I hope to have provided enough information. When I boot up, both plugged into the power cord, and on battery, the powerbook will reach a white screen with an apple logo in the center. There also is a rotating disk below the apple logo. It will then shortly power down. I made a visit to the genius bar, and they told me something was wrong. I was like DUH!!! They said for $320 it would all be fixed, but I was hoping to be able to find out what was going wrong with it. Sadly I don't have the start-up disk that came with the laptop :(. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

clyde2801
Mar 28, 2009, 08:05 PM
You could try hooking a firewire external disk up to it and booting off of it, then maybe try some diagnostics on the internal drive.

It doesn't sound like a dead hard drive (which would be a far better fix than a logic board) since there's no sad mac during start up.

Maybe you could borrow someone else's restore disks or a tiger/leopard disk and boot off of that. Disk utilities could tell you if the disk or the file structure was damaged. Or borrow someone else's apple care disk and see if tech tool will boot.

I just got one like yours for an additional machine at home, and a couple of people on the forums suggested to replace my hard drive, since the original 80 gig is almost four years old. Glad I did, since I noticed after I swapped it out that the old one was making noises.

Good luck.

Jurwin
Mar 28, 2009, 08:30 PM
That's just the powerbooks own way of telling you that it is worthless and refuses to be turned on again. Just get an intel mac. Not worth the repair cost for that dinosaur.

SkyBell
Mar 28, 2009, 08:34 PM
That's just the powerbooks own way of telling you that it is worthless and refuses to be turned on again. Just get an intel mac. Not worth the repair cost for that dinosaur.

Man, are you ignorant.

Sorry for the harsh words, but really, what leads you to think it's worthless? I'm genuinely interested in knowing. $320 could very well be a worthwhile repair for the OP.

genmic
Mar 28, 2009, 08:38 PM

There are a lot of people who would disagree with you. The PB 12 is an awesome little computer.

And your also incredibly rude.

jjahshik32
Mar 28, 2009, 09:19 PM
Time for a new laptop!!

dbowlin17
Mar 28, 2009, 09:42 PM
Thanks everyone for your replies, sadly I do not have money for a new laptop. I am wondering if there is a place to find start-up disks or something that could help me diagnose the problem... unfortuanetly, i do not know anyone who would have any of these disks...

Jurwin
Mar 28, 2009, 11:48 PM
It's not only my opinion that powerbook is worthless and ancient but it's also a fact. The fast powerbook only gets a score of @ 800 using geekbench. Now the oldest macbook pro using intel gets a score of @ 2200. Numbers don't lie baby! I'm happy I threw my crappy G4 a long time ago away.
http://www.primatelabs.ca/blog/2009/01/mac-performance-january-2009/
Have a nice day. :apple:

SkyBell
Mar 29, 2009, 01:28 AM
It's not only my opinion that powerbook is worthless and ancient but it's also a fact. The fast powerbook only gets a score of @ 800 using geekbench. Now the oldest macbook pro using intel gets a score of @ 2200. Numbers don't lie baby! I'm happy I threw my crappy G4 a long time ago away.
http://www.primatelabs.ca/blog/2009/01/mac-performance-january-2009/
Have a nice day. :apple:

A computer with a score of 800 is useless? News to me. My iBook and eMac both get scores of around 650, and yet they both work as my daily machines flawlessly. I don't need anything more, and a lot of people don't either. You're right, numbers don't lie, but it's all relative to a user's needs.

You can have any opinion you want about older machines, but there's no need for insults.

clyde2801
Mar 29, 2009, 09:49 AM
Jurwin has a good point, except that he made it in a rude and insulting, almost juvenile way: it may be time to consider on whether to 'fish or cut bait' on the repair if it costs $320.00.

I love my rig for daily consumer stuff, and its identical to you. But the estimated repair cost is half of what you can buy an intel macbook for on ebay or craigslist.

Below is a link to download the apple hardware test. Have someone burn it onto a cd, and follow the instructions, hopefully it can diagnose what your problem is. Good luck.
http://www.info.apple.com/support/aht.html

dbowlin17
Mar 29, 2009, 10:42 AM
Jurwin has a good point, except that he made it in a rude and insulting, almost juvenile way: it may be time to consider on whether to 'fish or cut bait' on the repair if it costs $320.00.

I love my rig for daily consumer stuff, and its identical to you. But the estimated repair cost is half of what you can buy an intel macbook for on ebay or craigslist.

Below is a link to download the apple hardware test. Have someone burn it onto a cd, and follow the instructions, hopefully it can diagnose what your problem is. Good luck.
http://www.info.apple.com/support/aht.html

Thank you for the information. I am curious as to if I can burn the file onto a CD using a windows computer. I only have one computer in my home, other than my non-functioning powerbook, and it is windows. don't rip on me for not having a mac please. I just am wondering if I can burn the hardware test file onto a cd using a PC

clyde2801
Mar 29, 2009, 11:21 AM
Thank you for the information. I am curious as to if I can burn the file onto a CD using a windows computer. I only have one computer in my home, other than my non-functioning powerbook, and it is windows. don't rip on me for not having a mac please. I just am wondering if I can burn the hardware test file onto a cd using a PC

http://***********/?q=Can+I+burn+a+mac+disk+on+a+windows+machine%3F

Full-Throttle
Mar 29, 2009, 02:52 PM
I would try this: http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ports/releases/intrepid/release/

Download the Ubuntu PPC install ISO onto a PC. Burn the image, then boot your PowerBook off the CD by holding the "C" key when you power on your Mac. If you can get it to boot, then you might not have a hardware problem and it may just be a software issue. If it won't boot then you are probably looking at hardware problems.

If Ubuntu does boot, then contact Apple and see if they will ship you restore CD's, or go and buy a copy of Leopard.

The Apple Hardware Tests that someone suggested might not work because your PowerBook is not listed as supported.

dbowlin17
Mar 29, 2009, 05:51 PM
thanks for the suggestions. I will try the Ubuntu first, then if it doesn't work, I will have my brother who has another mac burn me the cd of the apple tech support or what ever tells you what is wrong.

dbowlin17
Mar 29, 2009, 07:05 PM
well, this sucks. the file won't even burn to a cd. i feel like giving up right now... there is no warranty so apple doesn't give a dam, and i don't exactly have easy access to an apple store to have them try to tell me what is wrong. again.

clyde2801
Mar 29, 2009, 09:50 PM
Has your brother tried it yet? Don't give up hope. Maybe you could put an ad on craigslist or contact a local mac user's group for assistance.

I feel for you. I've only had mine (again) for a week, and I love it so much it almost hurts.:o

dbowlin17
Mar 30, 2009, 08:14 AM
I think I will try to get a new CD-R. Also, if the Ubuntu doesn't work, he will get me the CD, but he was stuck in an airport yesterday, and lives 45 minutes away, so eventually I hope to have it solved... Thanks for the support. If it does end up just being the OS, where could I get a restore disk, or a OS disk for tiger or an older OS? I have a feeling it could be the OS, because it stopped working after my brother transferred his files over to his new macbook. Anyone else have thoughts?

clyde2801
Mar 30, 2009, 10:45 AM
Craigslist or local Mac User's Group to see if anyone will copy their restore disks. If that doesn't work, try the same with a install version of osx 10.4. Torrent it if you have to (after all, you ARE using it on apple hardware). Get with an apple authorized reseller and see if their tech department has a copy lying around.

dbowlin17
Apr 3, 2009, 05:53 PM
I tried the Apple Hardware disk... nothing happened, and yes I held down D and tried it not holding down D. My bro also gave me his macbook disks, but i didn't think they would work cause they r for intel macs and as i predicted, it didn't work. What else should I try? Should I try ubuntu? or what? Genius bar? any suggestions other than toss and buy a new one?

dbowlin17
Apr 4, 2009, 12:19 PM
I felt the urgent need to update this, i tried using my brothers macbook restore disk and got the computer to boot, sadly the computer wouldn't install it. when i tried booting off tiger from the hard drive it failed. where could i find a tiger disk?

Jurwin
Apr 4, 2009, 12:50 PM
I hate being right, but sometimes I just am. Re-read my earlier post. You can always buy a refurb mbp if you can't afford the newer ones. Great deal out there.

clyde2801
Apr 4, 2009, 01:12 PM
Your opinion has merit, but the method of delivering it was lacking. Don't trash talk someone's rig, dude; it ain't right.

dbowlin17
Apr 4, 2009, 02:50 PM
where would i go to look for a tiger disk? if i get tiger running im all good.

iLog.Genius
Apr 4, 2009, 03:04 PM
where would i go to look for a tiger disk? if i get tiger running im all good.

If you have an Apple Store nearby, they can diagnose for free. They would have the necessary discs to get your computer started and run tests. After they find out what the problem is, it's up to you whether you want to proceed with the repair. If you need discs, call up AppleCare. They have discs for your computer and other retail discs. It will run you about $17 with tax.

dbowlin17
Apr 4, 2009, 08:15 PM
is it 17 plus tax to call them? or to get the disks? and would they have the older disks?

dbowlin17
Apr 4, 2009, 09:14 PM
never like to double post, but this is breaking news! when I start it w/o a disk in, it now goes to a gray screen with a tiny folder in the middle that has the image of a question mark and then switches to a mac logo (not apple logo, but the old OS logo) and back and forth. I am guessing this is because I erased all data on hdd (none of it was mine anyways and my bro already transferred all his stuff to his new mac) Should I just try to get a tiger disk?

SkyBell
Apr 4, 2009, 09:17 PM
never like to double post, but this is breaking news! when I start it w/o a disk in, it now goes to a gray screen with a tiny folder in the middle that has the image of a question mark and then switches to a mac logo (not apple logo, but the old OS logo) and back and forth. I am guessing this is because I erased all data on hdd (none of it was mine anyways and my bro already transferred all his stuff to his new mac) Should I just try to get a tiger disk?

Yep. That's what happens when your HDD is formatted. And yes, you should get a Tiger disk. :)

dbowlin17
Apr 4, 2009, 09:24 PM
thank you everyone for your help. I will attempt to get myself a tiger disk. has anyone ever used a torrent? anyone had success with it and who might have instructions on what to do?

SkyBell
Apr 4, 2009, 09:30 PM
thank you everyone for your help. I will attempt to get myself a tiger disk. has anyone ever used a torrent? anyone had success with it and who might have instructions on what to do?

Well, we can't help you with that. Against the rules of the forum, sorry.

jessicya
Apr 4, 2009, 09:47 PM
it could just be your hard drive, i had an ibook for years and finally over the summer the same thing basically happened and it ended up being the harddrive. I would see if you have a Tekserve(apple reseller) or anything around you they quoted me 200 bucks. i ended up buying a harddrive from ebay for 40 bucks and replacing it myself because i didnt have the money at the time.

dbowlin17
Apr 5, 2009, 08:21 PM
I got my hands on Tiger OS X CD Disk, i bought the files on the internet. When I burnt my CD-Rs, the first disk went through fine. Comes time for the second disk, not able to be read by computer. tried another disk, same thing. any help?

dbowlin17
Apr 10, 2009, 08:03 PM
THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR YOUR HELP. THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN POSTED USING MY NOW FUNCTIONING POWERBOOK G4. went to apple store and they put on tiger and iLife 08 for me. although for iMovie, i have the 06 version of that. yay.:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

clyde2801
Apr 10, 2009, 08:17 PM
Hooray! Good for you!

SkyBell
Apr 10, 2009, 08:28 PM
Awesome, glad to hear you got it working. :)

brent0saurus
Apr 10, 2009, 09:19 PM
glad to see you got that wonderful machine working again!! (although jurwin may not agree) you have a great mac that should last you a long time!

not to instill any worry, but if the hard drive ends up failing in the future, that's still not a reason to throw down $2000 on a new mac. I just upgraded the hard drive in my 15" powerbook g4 from 80gb to 160gb and i couldn't be happier!!!!!!!

PPC 4 LYFEEEE!!!!! (that was horribly lame)

Jurwin
Apr 10, 2009, 09:40 PM
Well woop dee doo. When will you trade the G4 for an intel mac?

clyde2801
Apr 10, 2009, 10:06 PM
...When they make one in the 12" form factor. If they did, it would be the perfect portable. Heck, I wouldn't be able to give Apple my money quickly enough if they did.

brent0saurus
Apr 10, 2009, 10:44 PM
Well woop dee doo. When will you trade the G4 for an intel mac?

or when they bring back the second firewire port...
and ppc fans are dumb? you haven't received one positive response and you've done nothing but negatively contribute to the thread.
don't bother posting if you're just going to tell someone their setup is garbage.

not everyone is wealthy (or wasteful) enough to just throw away g4s like you do.

UltraNEO*
Apr 10, 2009, 11:38 PM
Thanks everyone for your replies, sadly I do not have money for a new laptop. I am wondering if there is a place to find start-up disks or something that could help me diagnose the problem... unfortuanetly, i do not know anyone who would have any of these disks...

You can try calling Apple, finding a service centre who might have old disks, search online auctions etc... or try the marketplace here on MR.

UltraNEO*
Apr 10, 2009, 11:41 PM
...When they make one in the 12" form factor. If they did, it would be the perfect portable. Heck, I wouldn't be able to give Apple my money quickly enough if they did.

Despite what some trolls think. I think the PB12 is the first mobile Mac to grace the 'UltraPortable' market, it is a pity Apple hasn't learnt much over the years, they still think and insist the MacBook Air does the same job.. but it doesn't.

clyde2801
Apr 11, 2009, 01:52 PM
Despite what some trolls think. I think the PB12 is the first mobile Mac to grace the 'UltraPortable' market, it is a pity Apple hasn't learnt much over the years, they still think and insist the MacBook Air does the same job.. but it doesn't.

I just wished they hadn't intentionally crippled the 12"'s by only letting it use 1.25 gigs of ram. I went back to this as a secondary system a few weeks ago (four years after trading my original one in on a pm dual g5) and I'm absolutely in love with the shape, size and form factor. I don't use it for encoding videos or anything strenuous like that, but it's the mac that I somehow use the most and enjoy the most.

clyde2801
Apr 11, 2009, 01:57 PM
Speaking of which, the op needs to go to 1.25 gigs of ram, imo.