Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kbonnel

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 1, 2004
In a nice place..
Hello All,

So I have been noticing some high temps on my PB15 1.25Ghz. I have only had it for a couple of days, so I don't know if these temps are normal. When playing around, such as playing a little itunes, going through some photos, and having a couple other programs running (word, safari, etc), I have temps around 59 - 64 degrees Celcius. Is this ok? What is everybody else getting temp wise? Is there a fan? Cause I have never heard it.

Oh yea, can a apple keyboard work with Windows? I love the bluetooth, and am thinking of getting a usb version (they are usb right?)

Kimo

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
kimo,
USB and Bluetooth are not the same. What I think you meant was that you wanted to get a bluetooth device (such as a mouse) with a bluetooth receiver that plugs into a USB port. If you have a powerbook with Bluetooth built in, you won't need this; if you are using a computer without BT built in, the USB dongles work pretty well.

Can you convert those temps to F? They do sound a little high. How do you measure the temp?

kbonnel

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 1, 2004
In a nice place..
Actually, I use the bluetooth apple keyboard with my pb, and I love it. I was wondering if the apple wired keboard will work with my XP box (I don't like calling them PC's, as that really means personal computer :) ). I was using a microsoft bluetooth with my PB, but didn't like the response time, so I went back to wired.

As for temp, 60C = 140F roughly. it is like 2.33 x C = F

Kimo

haiggy

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2003
Ontario, Canada
My iBook runs at that temperature sometimes doing the things you are describing. I posted a threat about this earlier and got replies about how it was normal and everything would be okay if the fan is turning on. My CPU gets over 70 degrees C sometimes while just after playing WarCraft III and that is the only time I hear the fan. I think the fan kicks in when it hits 70 degrees or 68 or something. Anyways, I think you aren't having any problems and things are looking like they should be. I don't know why they run so hot, apparently G3's run cooler. So it is normal to have a hot G4. I wish they wouldn't get so hot too.

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
I thought the C to F conversion was 1.8 * C + 32 = F?

Oops, the poster above beat me to it...

But I'll add this...

>Bob: A lot of people don't know how to do metric.
>
>Doug: Me, either, eh?
>
>Bob: OK, so here's an easy way. You double it and add thirty. So if on
>the radio it says"Okay, t'day it'll be cloudy and five degrees", you
>double it (5 and 5 is 10) and add thirty (and thirty is forty). It's the
>ol' 40 degrees.
>
>Doug: How many beers would that be if you had a six pack?
>
>Bob: Six and six is twelve and 30 is 42 beers. Forty-two metrics beers.
>
>Doug: Boy, count me in on metric.

thekaiser

macrumors member
Dec 16, 2002
Huntington Beach, CA
To answer the original question, 60 degrees is fine. Even 70 or 80 would be tolerable by the 7447 or 7457. In fact the maximum junction temperature for these chips is 105 degrees. The junction temperature is what the temperature sensor on the powerbooks measures. Take a look at motorola's specs for these processors.

http://e-www.motorola.com/webapp/sps/site/taxonomy.jsp?nodeId=03C1TR04670871

Scroll down the page to the 7XXX series processors.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.