PDA

View Full Version : G5 Airport Antenna

BigDawgES
Apr 14, 2004, 01:46 PM
Quick question:

Scenario #1: I buy a refurbished PB from apple.com, as well as a refurbished airport extreme card

vs.

Scenario #2: I use apple.com's Build-To-Order option and order a new PB with Airport Extreme card built in

My question: do either of these options include the little screw-in antenna I would use if I plugged the card into a G5 tower at a later date? (Do the PB cards even work in a G5 tower?)

Minor second question: because "Airport" and "Airport Extreme" have different form factors, am I correct in thinking that an original "airport" card is useless in any of Apple's current comp lineup?

Thanks so much for your help!

keysersoze
Apr 14, 2004, 02:15 PM
I think there is only 1 type of Airport Extreme card, and I think you would use it in any of the talked about machines (Refurb PB from Apple OR G5). Airport Extreme is current...you would probably go with the original Non-Extreme Airport card for an older machine, which you wouldn't find on the apple site anyway.

I don't know about this "antenna" you speak of, but you wouldn't need it for the PB. I have a refurb AE card in my iBook G4 and it's been hassle free (and saved me $20). I'd recommend it. I can tell you that I bought it from Apple and it did not come with this mysterious "antenna".

And Yes, the original Airport card is useless in new machines.

:)

edit: for detailzzzz

RGunner
Apr 14, 2004, 03:26 PM
All PowerMac G5's come with the antenna module whether you order it or not.

The PB Airport Extreme card works in all NEW macs (PB and G5's included of course).

DO order the internal BLUETOOTH as you cannot buy this / or the antenna afterwards on a G5.